• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not possible to amend a GWR Mobile E-ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewesroad

I have an Advance First GWR Mobile E-ticket that I wish to amend to a new date. Online, the details of the ticket can be viewed but no changes can be made. I asked the Twitter team how to make the amendment and they advised that I had to go to a ticket office. I have just been to Paddington ticket office and they told me that they cannot do it and it has to be done online! Can anyone advise how this can be done, please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have an Advance First GWR Mobile E-ticket that I wish to amend to a new date. Online, the details of the ticket can be viewed but no changes can be made. I asked the Twitter team how to make the amendment and they advised that I had to go to a ticket office. I have just been to Paddington ticket office and they told me that they cannot do it and it has to be done online! Can anyone advise how this can be done, please?
I think you may have to contact the web support team, if you cannot find an option to modify the ticket in the "My Account" section.

lewesroad

I think you may have to contact the web support team, if you cannot find an option to modify the ticket in the "My Account" section.
The issue is not with the website, because you cannot amend e-tickets online. The problem is with Paddington ticket office who are not willing to amend tickets. The GWR Mobile E-Ticket FAQ says:
upload_2018-11-30_19-55-11.png

gray1404

Established Member
In that case you would need to speak to Customer Service and explain to them that you have followed the advise on the website but not been able to change it.

lewesroad

Yes, I have taken this up with Customer Services and am awaiting their reply. I just wondered if there was anyone on here with insider knowledge as to why a major ticket office are unwilling to follow the published procedure.

gray1404

Established Member
Unfortunately it can sometimes depend on who you get on the day. Although I have heard of Paddington giving out incorrect details on other ticketing matters too. Sadly sometimes you have to shop around. Can you try again at Paddington or another GWR station?

philthetube

Established Member
once you are sorted I would be contacting customer service agtain pointing out the time you wasted because of the incompetence shown by the ticket office and asking if they are going to compensate you.

lewesroad

Have now received a reply from Customer Services. Just a pointless boilerplate response quoting the terms and conditions that I quoted to them and completely ignoring my complaint. In the meantime I have had to buy new tickets in place of those that I was trying to move so I shall reply claiming the cost of those as well.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Have now received a reply from Customer Services. Just a pointless boilerplate response quoting the terms and conditions that I quoted to them and completely ignoring my complaint. In the meantime I have had to buy new tickets in place of those that I was trying to move so I shall reply claiming the cost of those as well.
No surprise there.

Perhaps they will wake up when you do a chargeback on the old tickets, or send a Letter Before Action.

Moderator note: this matter can be discussed further in the thread Issues with credit card chargebacks

Last edited by a moderator:

gray1404

Established Member
Could you possible post a copy of your reply from Customer Relations? We can then see what they are saying and help you draft a reply back to GWR Customer Relations acting for the case to be reviewed by a Manager and for them to look at their reply again. If this is still not to any avail then you can take the case to Transport Focus (I see your problem started on 30 November).

gray1404

Established Member
My advise at this point would be as follows:
1. Ask GWR to have a Manager look at your case.
2. If this isn't successful take the case to Transport Focus
3. You could also ask the bank you raise this transaction into dispute. If you are able to resolve it with GWR in the mean time you can always cancel the dispute. It is worse a phone call to your bank. Just have your reasons clearly thought out.

Last edited:

lewesroad

Could you possible post a copy of your reply from Customer Relations? We can then see what they are saying and help you draft a reply back to GWR Customer Relations acting for the case to be reviewed by a Manager and for them to look at their reply again. If this is still not to any avail then you can take the case to Transport Focus (I see your problem started on 30 November).

Thank you for the various comments. Here is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your email regarding your e- tickets.
I can confirm that you will be able to amend your tickets, however there are some restrictions that we need to make you aware of, which I have listed below.
There are only two changes you can make to your ticket, these are;
• the date of travel,
• the scheduled departure time.
If you would like to amend these, you must do this at the original point of purchase, and there is a £10.00 admin fee applied per ticket.
For tickets purchased online, you must complete the amendments a minimum of 5 days before the original date of travel.
For tickets purchased at the station, you must complete the amendments a minimum of 24 hours before the date of travel.

However, if you would like to change any of the station details, unfortunately this is not something we can amend. You would need to purchase a new ticket, but your original unused ticket may be eligible for a refund. Please feel free to contact our customer support team for more information on this.

Just to let you know, there may be times when you have to pay the difference between the ticket you originally held and the cost of amended ticket. What this means is that if, for example, you held a super off peak ticket and wanted to travel at peak times, you may have to pay an extra fee to make your ticket valid at that time of day.
As mentioned above, if you do require any further information or would like to discuss your options in more detail, please feel free to call our customer support team on 03457 000 125

Thank you for contacting us
Once again, thank your for your contact. I hope this has helped with your query. If you are travelling with us soon, we hope you have a pleasant and enjoyable journey."

So, as I said above, just quoting the terms and conditions.

The gist of my complaint was that Paddington ticket office were unwilling to amend Mobile e-tickets. The original agent I spoke to there was unsure what to do and called another over who said that e-tickets could not be amended because the system would allow it to be done multiple times from one original. In the course of our discussion, he said :"It's not just you, I've told hundreds of people that e-tickets cannot be amended!". So there is clearly a knowledge gap between Customer Services and ticket offices.

I am now out of pocket because I have had to buy two new tickets to replace those that I could not amend.

father_jack

Yes, I have taken this up with Customer Services and am awaiting their reply. I just wondered if there was anyone on here with insider knowledge as to why a major ticket office are unwilling to follow the published procedure.
From the inside out, the support, training and instruction concerning M/E tickets, associated excesses and problem solution is almost nil. Apparently you can excess a GWR M/E ticket but not one from another vendor. But that is only heresay. The questions have been asked to no clear response.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thank you for the various comments. Here is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your email regarding your e- tickets.
I can confirm that you will be able to amend your tickets, however there are some restrictions that we need to make you aware of, which I have listed below.
There are only two changes you can make to your ticket, these are;
• the date of travel,
• the scheduled departure time.
If you would like to amend these, you must do this at the original point of purchase, and there is a £10.00 admin fee applied per ticket.
For tickets purchased online, you must complete the amendments a minimum of 5 days before the original date of travel.
For tickets purchased at the station, you must complete the amendments a minimum of 24 hours before the date of travel.

However, if you would like to change any of the station details, unfortunately this is not something we can amend. You would need to purchase a new ticket, but your original unused ticket may be eligible for a refund. Please feel free to contact our customer support team for more information on this.

Just to let you know, there may be times when you have to pay the difference between the ticket you originally held and the cost of amended ticket. What this means is that if, for example, you held a super off peak ticket and wanted to travel at peak times, you may have to pay an extra fee to make your ticket valid at that time of day.
As mentioned above, if you do require any further information or would like to discuss your options in more detail, please feel free to call our customer support team on 03457 000 125

Thank you for contacting us
Once again, thank your for your contact. I hope this has helped with your query. If you are travelling with us soon, we hope you have a pleasant and enjoyable journey."

So, as I said above, just quoting the terms and conditions.

The gist of my complaint was that Paddington ticket office were unwilling to amend Mobile e-tickets. The original agent I spoke to there was unsure what to do and called another over who said that e-tickets could not be amended because the system would allow it to be done multiple times from one original. In the course of our discussion, he said :"It's not just you, I've told hundreds of people that e-tickets cannot be amended!". So there is clearly a knowledge gap between Customer Services and ticket offices.

I am now out of pocket because I have had to buy two new tickets to replace those that I could not amend.
In that case, submit a copy of your old and new tickets in response to that email, asking them to reimburse you the difference, less £10.00.

lewesroad

In that case, submit a copy of your old and new tickets in response to that email, asking them to reimburse you the difference, less £10.00.

Yes, I will make a detailed claim. They will be screenshots, of course, because they are e-tickets! They would be able to see the details of all the relevant tickets on my online account but I suspect that will be too difficult for them.

a. Paddington ticket office is not the greatest place from a customer perspective, particularly on Boundary Zone x tickets.
b. What GW Customer Services advises on ADV tickets clearly goes beyond the contractual conditions that the ticket was sold with (eg. has to be changed 5 days in advance). As always, you might want to alert Mark Hopwood of this as a prelude to raising it with ORR under consumer protection legislation, ie. the supplier cannot alter terms of contract after the event! There's also the new rail ombudsman one could approach ...

Status
Not open for further replies.