• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of prosectution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythrindon

Hello,

In February I bought a ticket and boarded a train from Kings Cross to Huntingdon. When I left the train I realised I had left my ticket on the train was not able to get through the barrier. The Revenue Protection Officer took my details which I was happy to give, as she would not accept the online receipt of purchase which I understand. I thought I would only have to pay a fare then I could appeal (I had no money at the time).

However I have received a notice of prosecution in the post - saying they (Govia Thameslink) want to take me to court. I have sent them my bank statement and email receipt along with an explanation saying that I left the ticket on the train.

I'm really worried that my silly mistake of leaving my ticket on the train is going to have serious ramifications. It is not like I have even done anything wrong i.e. not bought a ticket expecting to buy one on the train, or getting off further afield that the ticket I purchased etc. I have paid for my journey and I am being treated like a common criminal.

Does anyone have an idea how this going to pan out? Bear in mind I haven't actually done anything wrong - I paid for my journey and simply left my ticket on the train - surely they can't prosecute you for that?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What legislation are they quoting in the letter?

mythrindon

It says you were stopped an queried with regards to "failing to hand over a rail ticket for inspection "

CheesyChips

That wording suggests you're being accused of a byelaw offence which is (in the grand scheme of things) a good thing.

Simply being unable to present a ticket when asked, you commit a railway-specific byelaw offence and can be prosecuted, so the fact that you can prove you paid is irrelevant in the prosecution of this particular offence.

However, by sending the evidence that you purchased a ticket for the journey, the train company *may* choose not to prosecute you. The ball is certainly in their court with this as a prosecution would indeed be successful.

The best thing to do is wait for their reply to your letter, and see what they have to say.

mythrindon

Okay, thank you for the response. What are the chances of getting a criminal record? It seems terribly unjust for my career to be ruined just because I left a train ticket on the train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A conviction under the Railway Byelaws should not carry a criminal record.

mythrindon

That is a relief. From what I've read on here, most seem to reach some kind of deal out of court, for cases 'worse' than mine (e.g. Not buying a ticket etc) so hopefully I should be able to agree something?

island

Veteran Member
Nor does a minor conviction "ruin one's career" in the general case.

Status
Not open for further replies.