• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The grandiose Broadmarsh plans circa 2000 would have moved the bus station to the vacant area east of the tramline. I wonder if this is proposed as a temporary replacement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The grandiose Broadmarsh plans circa 2000 would have moved the bus station to the vacant area east of the tramline. I wonder if this is proposed as a temporary replacement.

Surely it isn't big enough? Or are Barton busses originating on Friar Lane not going to use it?

Andyh82

Established Member
I would guess any bus that uses Friar Lane could just use Friar Lane. Others could also use the stops on Collin Street assuming those stops will still exist.

Friar Lane and Beastmarket Hill are quieter than when Premiere were operating so might be able to accommodate some longer layovers than currently.

They seem to be making changes at Victoria Bus Station at the moment, to the travel centre, perhaps so they can accommodate the Broadmarsh travel centre operations.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The final road layout at Broadmarsh will pedestrianise most of Collin Street and relocate its bus stops to Canal Street which will become narrower and two-way with east-west general traffic diverted to Queens Road south of the station. If they get the phasing right they could build the new facilities on Canal Street first, then use the old stops on Collin Street as an alternative for the bus station until the new one is ready.

kevjs

Last edited:

howittpie

No mention of what is going to happen to the Megabus services. Not going to be a great waiting environment for Nat Ex passengers especially the middle of the night services.

SCH117X

Established Member
On the subject of Station Street I stumbled across a 1987 photo of South Notts and NCT Clifton services there. Anyone know why? Cannot recall the reason myself.
Link to photo on Flickr

howittpie

So the coaches will enter via Trent Street across the newly paved area? That'll do the surface a lot of good!

Isn't Trent Streey where the taxi rank don't think they will use the paved biti assume they will go out of Station Street onto London Roaf.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looks like the buses using the bus station will be relocated as far away as Mount Street. i imagine it will be particularly annoying for people going to Chilwell area that the Indigo will go from Friar Lane and the Skylink will stay in the Broadmarsh area, rather than going from adjacent stands at Broadmarsh as they do today.

kevjs

Looks like the buses using the bus station will be relocated as far away as Mount Street. i imagine it will be particularly annoying for people going to Chilwell area that the Indigo will go from Friar Lane and the Skylink will stay in the Broadmarsh area, rather than going from adjacent stands at Broadmarsh as they do today.

Not sure it's "moving" as such, just not serving the Broadmarsh for those services - i.e. if you want to be able to use either go up to Mount Street, while Skylink can still serve people from the train station.

Isn't Trent Streey where the taxi rank don't think they will use the paved biti assume they will go out of Station Street onto London Roaf.

You are unable to access Station Street from London Road (and even if you could I doubt a Coach would manage to do a three point turn anyway!) - it's all blocked off now - no option to reinstate either as the lanes are being reallocated to allow the Southern Relief Road to flow.

Trent Street is all paved nowadays and is the only way to access Station Street - i.e. the NAT Ex coaches will be running on the paved area.

You've got similar in parts of Hockley where the road is fully paved with lorries and what not running over it all day and that's stood up well. Trent Street was always intended to be an access route for Loxley House, Capital One, and the train station drop off and has had rail replacement bus stops since day one so presumably has been designed to cope.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not sure it's "moving" as such, just not serving the Broadmarsh for those services - i.e. if you want to be able to use either go up to Mount Street, while Skylink can still serve people from the train station.

The bus stop map is linked from https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/t...rsh/broadmarsh-regeneration-bus-stop-changes/

Whatever the terminology, Indigo will now turn around at Friar Lane (not Mount Street) instead of Broadmarsh, and Skylink will depart outside the courts. Anybody heading for the suburbs served by both needs to decide where to head for, taking account of differences in walking distance and the likely faster journey on the Skylink. This decision is simpler today with them being next to each other at Broadmarsh.

I was a bit hard on Mount Street in my previous post: the Cotgrave will still call near the station (I assume) so the only people in Broadmarsh area who have to walk all the way to Mount Street will be those wanting the relatively minor 21 route.

You are unable to access Station Street from London Road (and even if you could I doubt a Coach would manage to do a three point turn anyway!) - it's all blocked off now - no option to reinstate either as the lanes are being reallocated to allow the Southern Relief Road to flow.

Trent Street is all paved nowadays and is the only way to access Station Street - i.e. the NAT Ex coaches will be running on the paved area.

You've got similar in parts of Hockley where the road is fully paved with lorries and what not running over it all day and that's stood up well. Trent Street was always intended to be an access route for Loxley House, Capital One, and the train station drop off and has had rail replacement bus stops since day one so presumably has been designed to cope.

The same map shows coaches arriving via Trent Street and departing from Station Street to London Road, so I agree the turning lanes won't be needed but there will have to be a right turn out of Station Street (and preferably a left as well). I've lost track of what is there now, as it has changed several times.

Last edited:

The Skylink (Skylink LE on this map: https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/t...rsh/broadmarsh-regeneration-bus-stop-changes/ ) will serve Collin Street instead of Broadmarsh bus station, yes, but will still serve Friar Lane as now. So Friar Lane will be the location you can catch both Indigo & Skylink services from. The map shows ALTERNATIVE stops for Broadmarsh not the other stops they already serve. Skylink EXPRESS via the A453 will depart from outside the Courts. If you want the Airport and just miss an Express you will have to trek to Collin Street for a slow bus rather than it being in the same bus station.

Last edited:

Chris57a

Yes partly.
Trent 102 ran Bingham-Victoria-Derby every 20minutes in the 80s.
Barton 4 ran Broadmarsh-Sandiacre every 20minutes in the 80s (with Hourly extensions to Jackson Avenue or Ilkeston).
Combined 10 minute frequency with interchangeable tickets.

Just seeing the mention of service 102 reminded me that from 11 December, 1977 a few journeys on service 102 ran from Burton on Trent to Derby, Nottingham and Bingham, a journey time of about two and a half hours! The service is shown in the timetable book dated 25 June 1978 but 102 just ran from Derby in the book dated 1 July 1979.

kevjs

The same map shows coaches arriving via Trent Street and departing from Station Street to London Road, so I agree the turning lanes won't be needed but there will have to be a right turn out of Station Street (and preferably a left as well). I've lost track of what is there now, as it has changed several times.

It's left turn only out of Station Street (has been for a long time - the pedestrian crossing blocks the right turn) - it's the only way that London Road can handle the traffic - the coaches and anyone else heading south will need to use the BBC Island (basically the fewer junctions, especially right turns, the more traffic you get get down a road).

The current layout of the Broadmarsh means a fair bit of double backing anyway...

ashworth

Established Member
Just seeing the mention of service 102 reminded me that from 11 December, 1977 a few journeys on service 102 ran from Burton on Trent to Derby, Nottingham and Bingham, a journey time of about two and a half hours! The service is shown in the timetable book dated 25 June 1978 but 102 just ran from Derby in the book dated 1 July 1979.

Yes I remember that but not in a good way!
Way back in early 1978 I was in my final year at teacher training college in Derby and was doing my final teaching practice in a primary school in Littleover.
I think it must have been the February half term when I was coming home to Nottinghamshire for a few days. I thought the 102 coming from Burton would be really useful to get home on the Friday afternoon straight from the school. I can remember standing at the bus stop on Burton Road in Littleover, I put my hand out to stop it, but the driver just ignored me and sailed right past. I think I ended up getting a bus into Derby and then the train to Lowdham which I usually did.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Skylink (Skylink LE on this map: https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/t...rsh/broadmarsh-regeneration-bus-stop-changes/ ) will serve Collin Street instead of Broadmarsh bus station, yes, but will still serve Friar Lane as now. So Friar Lane will be the location you can catch both Indigo & Skylink services from. The map shows ALTERNATIVE stops for Broadmarsh not the other stops they already serve. Skylink EXPRESS via the A453 will depart from outside the Courts. If you want the Airport and just miss an Express you will have to trek to Collin Street for a slow bus rather than it being in the same bus station.

That may be so I suppose, it sort of makes sense, but it's not very clear.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This morning I've seen two coaches and one bus (one of the Shopper routes I think) with Premiere branding and livery. Have they returned or did they never quite go away?

Mugby

Established Member
This morning I've seen two coaches and one bus (one of the Shopper routes I think) with Premiere branding and livery. Have they returned or did they never quite go away?

There's a number of vehicles in Premiere livery and branding in a yard which is visible from trains after passing Lenton South Junction, heading towards Beeston. (on the right)

howittpie

I believe the veichles are owned by Nottingham Coaches. Not sure if anyone at Nottingham Coaches were involved in Premiere.

ACBest

Marshalls have announced they're going to be replacing part of the V2 route as far as Orston, as an extension to the existing 91 from Newark-Bingham-Aslockton.

At the same time, it'll also be re-routed within Bingham to replace the withdrawn part of the V1 around Wychwood Road and Carnarvon Place.

Status
Not open for further replies.