• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
since the walking route took you right through the Broadmarsh Centre
Is that not a public right of way (or similar); the same as the cross route from the clock tower to Glasshouses Street through the Victoria Centre.

LowLevel

Established Member
Mind you, if the Broadmarsh Centre becomes an entirely abandoned hulk instead of a stalled building site, actually getting from the rebuilt Broadmarsh Bus Station to the traditional shopping streets would be a considerably longer walk than it was with the previous Bus Station since the walking route took you right through the Broadmarsh Centre. This was intended to be the case again once both the new Bus Station and the Centre rebuild were completed. I forsee lots of ENCTS cards on the combined P&R and shopping shuttle buses.

Personally I would say the Broadmarsh centre is no longer needed and there is much to be said for flattening it and landscaping it instead to be a nice gateway to the shopping streets from the station, they're already working on Carrington Street etc.

cnjb8

Established Member
Vectare have three Citylines. Though their primary purpose is for NottsBuss 833 which runs a circular from Bingham to Bingham via the Vale of Belvoir.
Ah thank you. I'd only seen pictures of two of them.
Unlikely to have any effect - if the passengers need to catch that bus they will still go to the relevant bus station. Broad Marsh has been a dump/ building site for some time but it does not affect the need to catch the bus. Historically Nottinghams bus stations have often been poorly located in terms of shopping; Mount Street was part of a failed shopping centre separated from the city centre by a dual carriageway and Huntingdon Street was put out on a limb as the shopping activity in the city swung to north (Victoria Centre) from the east (the former Market) although its replacement at the Victoria Centre was planned and implemented. The impact is more likely to be on other shops if their is a drop in wider footfall; it took years for rental values to correct themselves after the market near Huntingdon Street closed and the Victoria Centre opened.
You are right. It's all just a bit uncertain at the moment.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Personally I would say the Broadmarsh centre is no longer needed and there is much to be said for flattening it and landscaping it instead to be a nice gateway to the shopping streets from the station, they're already working on Carrington Street etc.

Absolutely, it had its day a long time ago. I used to cut through it regularly and it was often deserted. The re-development always felt like it was putting off the reality that the city didn’t need two shopping centres in the age of Internet shopping.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Intu were proposing to make the Broadmarsh more of a leisure destination than retail, although of course Nottingham already has one of those in the Cornerhouse.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Intu were proposing to make the Broadmarsh more of a leisure destination than retail, although of course Nottingham already has one of those in the Cornerhouse.

Ah, I must admit I’d taken next to no interest in the plans. Although I go to Nottingham on a fairly regular basis, I don’t often venture into the city anymore.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Mind you, if the Broadmarsh Centre becomes an entirely abandoned hulk instead of a stalled building site, actually getting from the rebuilt Broadmarsh Bus Station to the traditional shopping streets would be a considerably longer walk than it was with the previous Bus Station since the walking route took you right through the Broadmarsh Centre. This was intended to be the case again once both the new Bus Station and the Centre rebuild were completed. I forsee lots of ENCTS cards on the combined P&R and shopping shuttle buses.

Although almost all the routes that serve the Broadmarsh centre have at least one stop that's closer to the other shops. When I lived in Nottingham I rarely used the Broadmarsh Bus station (from the west) unless I was using the shopping centre, picking up a timetable, catching a coach or going to the station.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think it was the Keyworth that didn't go any further into town than the Broadmarsh, but was extended up to the Market Square when the bus station closed. At least the Broadmarsh was close to the railway station, unlike Victoria Bus Station which is hardly even in the city centre.

joenffc

I think it was the Keyworth that didn't go any further into town than the Broadmarsh, but was extended up to the Market Square when the bus station closed. At least the Broadmarsh was close to the railway station, unlike Victoria Bus Station which is hardly even in the city centre.

keyworth did for a bit but since the works terminates at train station sadly

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
After some suggestions and discussion amongst the moderation team, it has been decided to terminate this thread here. Anyone wishing to continue discussion of issues pertaining to Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire should change here and take this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.