• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginga

Only about 15 on the picket line. I've heard they are saying they cannot afford to lose a days pay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Derbyshire County Council are reporting (in the new North East Derbyshire timetable book) changes to the timetable & stopping places of 'The Comet' from the end of October.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
What happened with the strike planned for yesterday. Did it still go ahead, despite the minimal impact last Monday ?

derbybusdepot

Derbyshire County Council are reporting (in the new North East Derbyshire timetable book) changes to the timetable & stopping places of 'The Comet' from the end of October.

Ilkeston Flyer will call at all stops in Spondon from the end of September (like the Y3).

New timetables up on Derbyshire County Council website from late October/November.
COMET additional stop in Clay Cross. Last bus hour later Mon-Thur & 3 hours later on Fri-Sat
H1 improved to every 12 minutes. How will Yourbus respond?
Indigo changes to Evening timetable.
Little Sixes & Sunday 6.1 retimed.
Transpeak to be all stops except between Derby & Milford.
185-6 all journeys to Burlow withdrawn between the 15.08 & 22.35 journeys - but then they have the all stopping Transpeak now....
High Peak 65 withdrawn - what a surprise...
Arriva Derby also have revised timetables.

Established Member
Mostly good news on Trent's side of things then. I suspect yourbus may try to compete by re timing to every 12 minutes as well or possibly pulling the Y1 all together (which is unlikely). I'm also not surprised about Arriva's evening reductions in Derby.

Pigalle

Wellglade have filed accounts for 2017 for the Group and their various subsidiaries (2016 comparative figures in brackets)

Wellglade Holdings (consolidated Group)

Turnover £65,591k (£65,994k)
Operating Profit £5,381k (£6,506k)
Profit Before Tax and exceptional item £5,589k (£8,083k)
Exceptional item -£10,881k (£nil)
Loss Before Tax -£5,292k (Profit Before Tax +£8,083k)

Note: exceptional item relates to the impairment of a loan to a third party company.

Barton Buses

Turnover £16,145k (£15,671k)
Operating Profit £911k (£972k)
Profit Before Tax £868k (£917k)

Kinchbus

Turnover £6,588k (£6,642k)
Operating Profit £1,932k (£2,077k)
Profit Before Tax £1,939k (£1,590k)

Trent Motor Traction

Turnover £32,808k (£32,306k)
Operating Profit £1,539k (£2,558k)
Profit Before Tax £1,758k (£4,067k)

Source: Filed Accounts at Companies House

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Wellglade have filed accounts for 2017 for the Group and their various subsidiaries (2016 comparative figures in brackets)

Wellglade Holdings (consolidated Group)

Turnover £65,591k (£65,994k)
Operating Profit £5,381k (£6,506k)
Profit Before Tax and exceptional item £5,589k (£8,083k)
Exceptional item -£10,881k (£nil)
Loss Before Tax -£5,292k (Profit Before Tax +£8,083k)

Note: exceptional item relates to the impairment of a loan to a third party company.

Barton Buses

Turnover £16,145k (£15,671k)
Operating Profit £911k (£972k)
Profit Before Tax £868k (£917k)

Kinchbus

Turnover £6,588k (£6,642k)
Operating Profit £1,932k (£2,077k)
Profit Before Tax £1,939k (£1,590k)

Trent Motor Traction

Turnover £32,808k (£32,306k)
Operating Profit £1,539k (£2,558k)
Profit Before Tax £1,758k (£4,067k)

Source: Filed Accounts at Companies House

That Derby-Leicester Skylink must be a excellent earner !

Established Member
That Derby-Leicester Skylink must be a excellent earner !
It is. Most of the buses that I see have good loadings but the prices are high as well. To go from my work (london road) to Derby City centre the skylink is the most expensive at £1.60 where the the other three operators charge around £1 or £1.20.

Pigalle

From Trent Barton e-mail received today.

The union Unite have announced they have cancelled industrial action planned for October & November.‬

‪We’ll be back to a normal service, with no disruptions due to industrial action.‬ ‪

We’d like to thank our customers for your patience and understanding over the past 4 weeks.‬

LowLevel

Established Member
It is. Most of the buses that I see have good loadings but the prices are high as well. To go from my work (london road) to Derby City centre the skylink is the most expensive at £1.60 where the the other three operators charge around £1 or £1.20.

That'll be because it's an express bus not really intended for making local journeys.

ashworth

Established Member
In an earlier post I commented on how I could not really see the purpose of the new S43 Bulwell-Bestwood-Vaughan Estate-Hucknall service which began running 2 weeks ago. It runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays only (different timings on both days) and is operated by CT4N.

Having walked past a few bus stops on the Church Lane/Vaughan Estate section of the route in Hucknall today there are no timetables displayed. The very fact that the large print notices displayed after the 528 ceased running this route just over 2 years ago are still there stating ‘that this bus stop is currently not served by any buses’ does not really encourage anyone to use what is already a completely inadequate and almost useless service. Does anyone know about this bus service. A relative of mine who lives only 200 yards from a bus stop on Church Lane hasnt received any information about it. What a waste of money running a service which perhaps no one along the route is aware of.

I’m sure it would be far more useful to have some extra journeys on Trent Barton’s 141 service on the section between Nottingham, Bestwood and Hucknall. With all the new housing around the Papplewick Lane area of Hucknall and around Bestwood village there really should be buses after 7pm and a daytime Sunday service for people who want to travel to and from Nottingham. It’s a good distance from the tram stops for some of these housing developments.

Last edited:
I’m sure it would be far more useful to have some extra journeys on Trent Barton’s 141 service on the section between Nottingham, Bestwood and Hucknall. With all the new housing around the Papplewick Lane area of Hucknall and around Bestwood village there really should be buses after 7pm and a daytime Sunday service for people who want to travel to and from Nottingham. It’s a good distance from the tram stops for some of these housing developments.
And potentially extend any extra 141s beyond Hucknall to serve the Western Housing Estates. I always thought this indirect route would make more sense than trying to run alongside the existing 3s.

ashworth

Established Member
And potentially extend any extra 141s beyond Hucknall to serve the Western Housing Estates. I always thought this indirect route would make more sense than trying to run alongside the existing 3s.

There ought to be a complete rethink about current bus routes in the Hucknall area over the coming years. The local bus services for so long have just concentrated upon serving the large western estates but now the Papplewick Lane area estates on the opposite side of Hucknall are growing to be almost as big. If you include the Vaughan Estate, the huge new Papplewick Green Estate on the other side of Papplewick Lane and a further development now being built beyond the Vaughan Estate, it’s a rapidly growing area of the town. The 141 along Papplewick Lane does not really reach where the majority of the people are living. In other parts of Hucknall add to this the new development up Watnall Road on the Rolls Royce site and the 3,000+ houses to be built over the next 10 years between Hucknall and Newstead.

Last edited:

Ginga

Management at Trent barton have told the local council that the 21 is under review, talk of it being cut to every hour! Same story as the 18 . Move the service off Friar Lane, less people use it . Then cut back the service.

Think they are struggling with the 21. Length of route makes it unreliable. Buses continually breaking down. Facebook regularly full of complaints about it. Unreliability and breakdowns put passengers off. Reduced passengers = declining route. I feel that the 21, 27, 141 - ie routes that have never been branded are well down on Trents priority list and most likely to be withdrawn by them at some point.

Trent Barton 21 reduced to hourly from 18th November. New half hourly route 25 Ilkeston-Kirk Hallam introduced. This means only 2 buses an hour(21 & Black Cat) between Heanor & Ilkeston.

derbybusdepot

Former route 18 Solo SRs 495/6 have moved to Derby for use on the V3 which will not be branded. Some, 5 i think, of the former indigo Volvos are set to replace the scanias on V1.

The V3 and Harlequin brands may be merged next year. Both run through Littleover village, and V3 covers the whole Harlequin route in the evenings and Sundays (a loop off main road around Heatherton).

Established Member
Former route 18 Solo SRs 495/6 have moved to Derby for use on the V3 which will not be branded. Some, 5 i think, of the former indigo Volvos are set to replace the scanias on V1.

The V3 and Harlequin brands may be merged next year. Both run through Littleover village, and V3 covers the whole Harlequin route in the evenings and Sundays (a loop off main road around Heatherton).
496 was already on the V3 yesterday. I do have to say the current scandia's are getting tied with quite a few now got random pannels and missing branding (one says the lager) and we do need new buses even if they are old indigo ones again. (616 was originally rainbow 5 branded).

According for wellgade enthusiasts Facebook's 706 to 711 are for the calvaton connection which leaves 701 to 705 and 712 to 716 for the villager and possibly pronto and a spare.

With the V3 I can see all the journeys moving to the bus station and haveing a 15 or 20 minute service to Heatherton and every V3 doing the loop to save haveing a random gaps of 20 then 40 minutes.

Pigalle

496 was already on the V3 yesterday. I do have to say the current scandia's are getting tied with quite a few now got random pannels and missing branding (one says the lager) and we do need new buses even if they are old indigo ones again. (616 was originally rainbow 5 branded).

According for wellgade enthusiasts Facebook's 706 to 711 are for the calvaton connection which leaves 701 to 705 and 712 to 716 for the villager and possibly pronto and a spare.

With the V3 I can see all the journeys moving to the bus station and haveing a 15 or 20 minute service to Heatherton and every V3 doing the loop to save haveing a random gaps of 20 then 40 minutes.

497 is also at Derby, it was on what appeared to be a Mickleover today.

As for the V3/Harlequin amalgamation, I wonder if putting the resources of the two routes together would allow the V3 to go half-hourly during the day and also for it to be routed via Heatherton. Is it possible to do that journey in an hour in day time traffic conditions or would the journey time need increasing to 75 minutes?

Established Member
497 is also at Derby, it was on what appeared to be a Mickleover today.

As for the V3/Harlequin amalgamation, I wonder if putting the resources of the two routes together would allow the V3 to go half-hourly during the day and also for it to be routed via Heatherton. Is it possible to do that journey in an hour in day time traffic conditions or would the journey time need increasing to 75 minutes?
495 is also at Derby as well.

The current timetable gives 50 minuets between Derby and Burton for the V3. The Heatherton loop has 3 minuets extra to Burton and 7 minuets extra to Derby as it has to go the same way around the loop. So it would be possible with some tweaking to the timetable it would be possible in the day to have a 30 minute service with 4 buses.

goldisgood

495 is also at Derby as well.

The current timetable gives 50 minuets between Derby and Burton for the V3. The Heatherton loop has 3 minuets extra to Burton and 7 minuets extra to Derby as it has to go the same way around the loop. So it would be possible with some tweaking to the timetable it would be possible in the day to have a 30 minute service with 4 buses.
The downgrade to solos suggests that it definately doesn't need more buses... I'd say if the routes were combined make it into one 'harlequin' service, allowing the V1 to become just the 'villager'. The new 'harlequin' could run every 20 minutes to Heatherton, then every hour onto Burton with 4 buses rather than the current 5 buses on the harlequin and V3 together. I'm unsure of what loadings were like, but they could be ran with larger buses if they need to be?

ag51ruk

The downgrade to solos suggests that it definately doesn't need more buses... I'd say if the routes were combined make it into one 'harlequin' service, allowing the V1 to become just the 'villager'. The new 'harlequin' could run every 20 minutes to Heatherton, then every hour onto Burton with 4 buses rather than the current 5 buses on the harlequin and V3 together. I'm unsure of what loadings were like, but they could be ran with larger buses if they need to be?

I thought the current requirement was 4 buses (2 Harlequin, 2 Villager?) The traffic through Littleover village is the biggest issue for punctuality, the Harlequin used to be every 15 mins with 2 buses but couldn't keep to time so got extended to every 20 minutes

Trent barton website: new fares policy from 4th November:

Appears to me child fares for 11-18 year olds will ONLY be available if you have a young mango card. NO discounts otherwise!

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/news-and-media/our-news/article/youngpeople2018

From Sunday 4 November we'll be making changes to how young people travel with us.

These changes will extend our discounts to include young people aged 18 years and under to reflect the recent changes to the school leaving age.

young explorer
for young people aged 10 and under

Our youngest explorers will be able to travel on any bus, any where and at any time [not available on nightbuses] for just £1. This includes weekends and Bank Holiday Mondays.

The really little ones, aged 4 years and younger still travel for free.

young explorer tickets can be purchased on any bus except skylink Derby and Arriva X38.

young people cash
If you're aged 18 years and under you'll get discounted travel with our young people cash fares. Just ask our friendly drivers for a young people ticket.

To keep your 50% discount you'll need to pick young mango. Grab one at any one of our trentbarton shops or tap here.

day tickets

Our popular zigzag will still be available to young people aged 18 and under. zigzag gives unlimited travel across trentbarton land after 9am Mondays to Fridays and at any time on weekends and bank holiday Mondays. Buy zigzag direct from your driver.

zigzag can't be used on skylink Derby and Arriva X38.

young mango

trentbarton land kids and teens can get sweet discounts to help cut the cost of travel.

young mango is the smartest way to travel, giving young people aged 18 and under a juicy 50% discount off adult cash singles. With smart caps to limit your spend each day for travel after 9am, and across 7 and 28 days.

caps

day (after 9am) - £3.25

7 day - £15

28 day - £47.50

young mango

Don't forget, once you've hit your caps, all your travel is free!

Coming up to your 19th birthday? Don't panic, we'll automatically update you to a student or adult mango.

students

Our student mango will still be available for anyone in full-time education. Students get a sweet saving of 25% off adult cash singles.

You must have a valid academic email address in order to confirm your student status through our website.

students

currently on mango?

micro mango & 16-19 mango will be combined in to young mango. If you currently have a micro mango or a 16-19 mango don't worry, your discounts will automatically update.

Young people aged 10 years and under can use a young mango but won't get any additional discount, our young explorer ticket may be better value for you.

Last edited:

Established Member

I thought the current requirement was 4 buses (2 Harlequin, 2 Villager?) The traffic through Littleover village is the biggest issue for punctuality, the Harlequin used to be every 15 mins with 2 buses but couldn't keep to time so got extended to every 20 minutes
It is two buses on each route and littleover and burton are the hot spots at rush hour and the timetable gives 30 minuets to get to heatherton on the V3 from Derby. I don't get the V3 but when I do see it the loading seam to be reasonable for the larger buses but in do tend to get the peak time buses. Maybe the daytime services only justify the solos.

kevjs

Appears to me child fares for 11-18 year olds will ONLY be available if you have a young mango card. NO discounts otherwise!

young people cash
If you're aged 18 years and under you'll get discounted travel with our young people cash fares. Just ask our friendly drivers for a young people ticket.

To keep your 50% discount you'll need to pick young mango. Grab one at any one of our trentbarton shops or tap here.

The way I read that is, if you are 10 to 18 you get a cash fare which is cheaper than the standard adult cash fare (but no indication of how much cheaper). However if you want a 50% discount you need mango.
https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/fares-and-tickets/choosing-the-right-ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.