• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazztie16

It's usually when the handbrake is applied, then is taken off - so it does happen at traffic lights.

Then again, some other vehicles do it - like my car!

If there's a fault with the system, then it can cut out at traffic lights.

But it's meant to only cut out when the handbrake is on, and the doors have been opened.

Cutting out with just the handbrake on is very very rare, and usually results in the bus restarting itself within a couple of seconds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

njlawley

I've driven E400 hybrids that have cut off at traffic lights, and the Volvo hybrids at QS do it.... as they vibrate as they cut out.

At the end of the day, the cut off is meant to reduce idling whilst stationary, and thus reduce fuel consumption.

wazztie16

I've driven E400 hybrids that have cut off at traffic lights, and the Volvo hybrids at QS do it.... as they vibrate as they cut out.

At the end of the day, the cut off is meant to reduce idling whilst stationary, and thus reduce fuel consumption.

The ones I drive don't cut out at the lights, but at the bus stops when the doors have been opened with the handbrake on.

Maybe there's 2 different types, but I'd have thought buses cutting out at traffic lights, or potentially a junction if using the handbrake, is dangerous, if not inconsiderate to drivers behind that won't want to be kept waiting any longer behind a 'slow' bus.

Also, using the handbrake at a busy junction, I'd want to be ready on the gas if I see a suitable gap, then release handbrake, not having to worry about waiting for the bus to start up. I'd want to be ready to move.

So maybe there's different types.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Cars seem to manage stop-start without a problem, and the stopping and starting of the engine in a hybrid bus is fairly unobtrusive. Is the bigger engine needed to power a bus unassisted more of a problem to get started quickly?

From the 28th July Trent are reverting the Clifton Skylink to the A453 rather than through the estate. From the same date Hucknall gains two new connects - 7 days a week - C1 to Harrier Park & C2 to Vaughan Estate. CT4N withdraw the S43, which runs through Vaughan, from the same week.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Not sure how long that Clifton Skylink will survive. There's just not enough custom along that corridor.

Not sure how long that Clifton Skylink will survive. There's just not enough custom along that corridor.
It has always been a struggle. Premiere couldn't make it work with clapped out E200s, anything more will just have more cost.i hope however they return to the skylink express brand. Skylink Clifton meant nothing to most travellers, and people tended to just use the one with Nottingham in its name.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Will this see them become exact fare in line with the current 26 journeys?
I think this is unlikely. The current 26 is essentially a bundle of school runs, so probably doesn't get many "normal" passengers who might want change, and is resourced from the general fleet that aren't equipped to give it. I would expect the new 26 to be more like the 1 to Loughborough, which is grouped with the 3 and 4 to Clifton but gives change.

Bwsbro

10 of Yourbus 64 plate citaros have been sold to Diamond Bus North West for new ex First services in Bolton

These buses are currently in the process of being reliveried at Yourbus Heanor Depot

10 of Yourbus 64 plate citaros have been sold to Diamond Bus North West for new ex First services in Bolton

These buses are currently in the process of being reliveried at Yourbus Heanor Depot

I guess these are the Derby City ones? It would suggest there are no plans for further projects in Derby if that was the case

cnjb8

Established Member
I guess these are the Derby City ones? It would suggest there are no plans for further projects in Derby if that was the case
I'm quite surprised the 1 was first to go. The 20/26 look much less viable. But I live in the much better Nottingham so I don't know.

DDB

I'm quite surprised the 1 was first to go. The 20/26 look much less viable. But I live in the much better Nottingham so I don't know.
I wasn't surprised that they couldn't win against the Red Arrow when they tried that as the Red Arrow is much more of a brand and has nice coach style vehicles (although I'm glad they tried as the competition gained us Sunday evening Red Arrow services which are still going). I am surprised they haven't had more sucesss against the 1 as their buses look and feel much nicer than Arriva's offering and I wouldn't have thought there was much brand loyalty. Maybe lots of people are making connecting journeys and so want Arriva day tickets?

CT4Ns 'Ecolink' becomes Nottingham City Transport 'Grey Line' route 50 from the 2nd September but only running every 30 minutes. The 44 every 10 minutes will be the park & ride bus.

Last edited:

ACBest

Using E400s from Lime or Turquoise.

Not quite - the announcement on Facebook clearly states it’ll be using bio-gas E400’s on a Monday to Friday.

The existing Nottingham City Council funded Ecolink service will be replaced by a new NCT service 50, which will operate without any subsidy and will operate along the same route as Ecolink, every 30 minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes, with bio-gas double decks on weekdays.

Andyh82

Established Member
Going elsewhere in the Linkbus network according to the City Council.
Which would then beg the question, where are the electric solos and verses going!

They’ve only quite recently set up extensive electric charging infrastructure at the depot and the buses themselves, and now they basically seem surplus to requirements.

kevjs

Which would then beg the question, where are the electric solos and verses going!

They’ve only quite recently set up extensive electric charging infrastructure at the depot and the buses themselves, and now they basically seem surplus to requirements.
They seem to have been acquiring quite a few diesel buses - loads of ex-Blackpool solos on the 22 and 23 for instance (was ex-Malta last year).

Established Member
Trent Barton changes from the 1st September:

The Allestree - back to every 30 min on Sundays.
Ilkeston Flyer - daytime frequency increase to every 12 mins.
Swift - last bus to Uttoxeter terminates at Mayfield. New Ashbourne to Uttoxeter service in the morning to compensate at 0610.

goldisgood

https://twitter.com/NCT_Buses/status/1166787275369398272

Next BioGas for NCT are Turquoise Line , "But they aren’t the last new buses to join the fleet this year".
https://www.nctx.co.uk/nottingham-c...leaders-launch-brand-new-bio-gas-buses-arnold
The buses on Grey 53, 54 between Arnold, QMC and Clifton will be replaced by newer buses from later this year, as 10 new midi-buses join the fleet in the autumn.
I'd guess these will be shorter E200 MMCs or Solos, which will move some of the newer buses on to the 53/54.

cnjb8

Established Member

Andyh82

Established Member
The BYDs are operated by CT4N, the 53/54 is a NCT service, so I don’t know why would think that.

With all the focus being on the new double decks, I did think the singles on the 53/54 would go on forever, so it’s good they are being replaced.

cnjb8

Established Member
The BYDs are operated by CT4N, the 53/54 is a NCT service, so I don’t know why would think that.

With all the focus being on the new double decks, I did think the singles on the 53/54 would go on forever, so it’s good they are being replaced.
I thought the transfer would be implied.

cnjb8

Established Member
On a different note,
More changes coming for Rapid One and i4 from 29th September.
Anyone know the details?

Status
Not open for further replies.