• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Perhaps it’s a cunning plan by Derbyshire County Council to drive people away from using public transport.

DCC have already made significant cuts in tendered services in the past two years along with reductions in benefits of young persons/students travel passes for both bus and rail.

So much for a greener transport policy including the Peak District National Park!
Derbyshire County Council, like so many others is a victim of spending cuts. Unfortunately a subsidised bus service is a ‘nice to have’ rather than an essential. A lot of subsidised journeys in the Peaks unfortunately were not well used. Now it is a matter of doing the best they can. As an example, the village of Youlgreave used to have its own roughly hourly 171 service from Bakewell, but now there are only one or two journeys, the others made up by diverting 172s and 178s, which in its own way is quite resourceful.
I am sure DCC wish they could do more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Councils were dumped on financially when the Labour government introduced concessionary fares without reimbursement, and again and worse when the Tories made them bear far more than their fair share of austerity cuts. With much of council expenditure being needed to fulfil legal or essential duties ranging from emptying bins to social care, discretionary spending items like buses bore the brunt.

ivanhoe

Councils were dumped on financially when the Labour government introduced concessionary fares without reimbursement, and again and worse when the Tories made them bear far more than their fair share of austerity cuts. With much of council expenditure being needed to fulfil legal or essential duties ranging from emptying bins to social care, discretionary spending items like buses bore the brunt.
Also there is a perfect storm of the post war baby boomers hitting 65 as well. I heard that Gordon Brown instructed the civil service just to make it work. There were issues at the time but it was seen politically important. What put the scheme on an even more fragile footing was 2010 onwards policy of austerity and the decision by Osborne to roll the Govt contribution into the Council settlement and then cutting it year on year. Some Chancellor is going to have to make a serious decision soon as the tide of baby boomers flows on. They will either have to review scheme or allow Councils to raise Council Tax to a level that they can afford to run schemes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Also there is a perfect storm of the post war baby boomers hitting 65 as well. I heard that Gordon Brown instructed the civil service just to make it work. There were issues at the time but it was seen politically important. What put the scheme on an even more fragile footing was 2010 onwards policy of austerity and the decision by Osborne to roll the Govt contribution into the Council settlement and then cutting it year on year. Some Chancellor is going to have to make a serious decision soon as the tide of baby boomers flows on. They will either have to review scheme or allow Councils to raise Council Tax to a level that they can afford to run schemes.

Absolutely agree with both of these. It's the natural consequence of the Cameron Big Society policy. You reduce the size of the state (by reducing spending) and devolution of local powers so they bore the brunt of criticism in enacting cuts locally especially when you consider the number of statutory responsibilities.

Same issue with free TV licenses for over 75 year olds!

cnjb8

Established Member
Hammonds have purchased a Volvo B7TL Alexander ALX400 A8 UKC in plain red with Hammonds branding. It's not an ex Dublin example as the windscreen is normal. I spotted it near IKEA at Giltbrook.

kevjs

It's more likely the Optare Solo SRs from Green 5/7/8/9 will replace the 7 OmniTowns dedicated to the 53/54, and should be able to oust the last 2 Optare Solos still in service (237/238).

I believe but can't remember that NCT actually have an order for 10 Enviro200MMCs, which could mean 2 could become spares.

If anything, its the 11 branded Optare Solo SRs that don't tend to stray off other routes; its just very likely some are off the road due to maintenance... One is in fact off the road following an RTC, hence why 3 out of 4 branded buses have been out recently.

On the Facebook saying the new buses are coming by the end of the month, makes it a bit more clear.
"Nottingham City Transport Stefan Beck We have purchased 10 midi-buses because that’s how many we need to upgrade the midi-bus fleet to meet the clean air requirements from January and replace our oldest 10 buses, which are those on the 53, 54 and in our spare fleet."

Looks like they needed 10 new ones to meet Euro VI standards, no CNG midi-buses available and Electric too expensive at the moment. The 10 needed to be replaced are spares and the 53/54, so might as well upgrade buses used on well used routes with the new ones, and move their old 10 buses to the less used buses; will also mean the fleet is entirely double deck and Midi Bus (no single deckers).

They also tweeted a link to an interview with there Engineering Director https://open.spotify.com/show/6CGUnevXFpEupqO7plgwxH which makes it sound like there won't be any new buses for a couple of years, but then expectation is any new buses will be CNG for Double Deckers, and electric for the Midi buses.

And the 11 now seems to be running mostly with branded buses again.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What I presume was one of NCT's new E200s, No 303 I think, I also presume to have broken down on Rugby Road just now causing a minor traffic jam.

cnjb8

Established Member
Routes up for a timetable changes for the 5th Jan are:
Spondon Flyer
The Sixes
Both to vary timetable and route.

The changes to the Sixes obviously haven't worked in the evenings either. The 20 minute evening Derby to Belper frequency drops to hourly Monday to Thursday & half hourly Friday & Saturday. Evening Belper to Matlock virtually reverts to the old timetable. Little Sixes loose 06.53 from Millers Green and the 17.35 return from Matlock.

cnjb8

Established Member
The changes to the Sixes obviously haven't worked in the evenings either. The 20 minute evening Derby to Belper frequency drops to hourly Monday to Thursday & half hourly Friday & Saturday. Evening Belper to Matlock virtually reverts to the old timetable. Little Sixes loose 06.53 from Millers Green and the 17.35 return from Matlock.
And lose Monday to Thursday evening journeys
Both a big shame, at least Spondon has Ilkeston Flyer journeys.

From next Monday the County Council have finally replaced the Y10! The 533 is axed. The 528 & 532 are rerouted and new service 535 is introduced. The 535 is the link to the Eastwood estates and serves Morrisons but doesn't serve either of the other two town centre stops - including the Library - and it's a decent walk across busy roads from the Morrisons stop to the town centre shops. At the same time there is that much slack built into the 532 at Moorgreen (6 or 8 minutes to cover half a mile) that the routes haven't been very well planned in my opinion.
https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/transport/public-transport/nottsbus-connect

Kimberley does though gain 3 buses a day, six days a week to Bulwell - a link that was lost with the withdrawal of the NCT/Trent/Skills 73/113 at deregulation!

Welly

Last year I visited Nottingham for an appointment and used the Colwick Racecourse Park and Ride. I was very impressed with the electric buses on the Citylink service.

But I when I returned last week, the route was changed and is being served by diesel buses! What happened to the electric buses?

cnjb8

Established Member
Last year I visited Nottingham for an appointment and used the Colwick Racecourse Park and Ride. I was very impressed with the electric buses on the Citylink service.

But I when I returned last week, the route was changed and is being served by diesel buses! What happened to the electric buses?
The CT4N electrics were replaced by NCT 44 and 50 Biogas buses. They are supposed to be biogas, but cant be guaranteed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Due to budget cuts the council stopped subsidizing the two bus-based P&R services and NCT stepped in to run them commercially by diverting other routes to serve them. The Clifton Bridge P&R is now served by route 49, also normally worked with biogas.

derbybusdepot

Spondon Flyer will reduce frequency (again) to every 20 minutes

Ilkeston Flyer has become more convenient for many, as it takes a more direct route and is more frequent. It has done well at the expense of spondon flyer and local routes around Kirk Hallam.

The rerouted spondon flyer will serve Willowcroft Road outbound too, it has only ever served this section towards Derby. Surprisingly despite this making it a slightly longer journey, more junctions and traffic lights, the time for a round trip will be reduced from 45, to 40 minutes, with a reduced pvr of 2 buses. Times are adjusted at peak times making service intervals longer than 20 minutes.

Should the emergency yourbus tenders not be up for renewal soon?

cnjb8

Established Member
Ilkeston Flyer has become more convenient for many, as it takes a more direct route and is more frequent. It has done well at the expense of spondon flyer and local routes around Kirk Hallam.

The rerouted spondon flyer will serve Willowcroft Road outbound too, it has only ever served this section towards Derby. Surprisingly despite this making it a slightly longer journey, more junctions and traffic lights, the time for a round trip will be reduced from 45, to 40 minutes, with a reduced pvr of 2 buses. Times are adjusted at peak times making service intervals longer than 20 minutes.

Should the emergency yourbus tenders not be up for renewal soon?
They've started to be renewed. The 59 stays with Notts and Derby defo but I cant confirm the rest

derbybusdepot

59 is commercial. Altering times, and a few journeys from Jan will have a slightly different route through Oakwood.

59 is commercial. Altering times, and a few journeys from Jan will have a slightly different route through Oakwood.

Tendered from 27th December 2019 according to new timetable.

Notts & Derby website also says that they are running the 137-138 Belper to Langley. It doesn't give a start date and the link takes you to the TM operated Derbyshire County Council timetable!

Last edited:

derbybusdepot

Tendered from 27th December 2019 according to new timetable.

Notts & Derby website also says that they are running the 137-138 Belper to Langley. It doesn't give a start date and the link takes you to the TM operated Derbyshire County Council timetable!

Looks like it is a contract route again then. Many operators have been on this route over the years, but I believe only yourbus operated it commercially - possibly because the council dropped the funding when Notts and derby registered their version of the route to compete against it?

138 is listed as Notts and Derby on there, but was TM initially. That said Notts and derby always seemed to operate it just often using TM vehicles. Would be alot of dead mileage Sheffield to Heanor every day. Four red solos have transfered from TM since they gained these services (59 and 138).

Last edited:

goldisgood

A rumour that they might be withdrawing - they haven't yet withdrew. Wait for notices & proceedings or an 'official' comment on their facebook page lol.
If Stagecoach have brought brand new buses in it suggests (to me at least) that there's a bit more than just a rumour...

Status
Not open for further replies.