• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoh

Nottingham City Transport are returning to a full service from 28th June. Full details below.

Points to note this exludes night buses and the uni 4 & uni 31. Uni 34 is on holiday timetable.

Changes to the 40 & 70 routes.

1, 26 & 49 continue to operate as exact fare only. Presumably for Covid safely measures.

In other news Gotham garage has been having some fairly hefty drainage work done over the last few weeks. This should allieviate the flooding issues which it has suffered from over the last couple of years.

Nottingham City Transport Returning to Normal Timetables from 28th June 2020
Nottingham City Transport will be returning to normal timetables on all days of the week from Sunday 28th June 2020.

This will see the frequency of buses throughout Nottingham significantly increase, providing maximum capacity for people to be able to space out when they travel.

This applies to all NCT services, excluding the NightBus routes, which remain suspended and the Uni 4 & Uni 31 buses which do not operate outside of traditional university term time. Uni 34 for the University of Nottingham will operate to its “holiday timetable”.

Changes to Blue Line 40 and Yellow Line 70 which should have been introduced at the end of March 2020 will also be introduced. The 40 will serve Winwood Heights and Edwards Lane Estate and the 70 will serve Norwich Gardens and Sandhurst Road.

Since lockdown was introduced on 23rd March, the number of people using NCT buses has fallen by 90%. The government is providing financial support to bus operators to enhance their services whilst passenger numbers increase as the lockdown restrictions are relaxed.

Customers returning to our services can travel safely by following the Safer Travel Guidance for Customers. This includes:

• boarding the bus one at a time
  • sitting in a window seat
  • washing or sanitising hands regularly
  • wearing a facial covering, which is mandatory on public transport from 15th June.
NCT has consulted with its recognised Unite the Union representatives. All Nottingham City Transport staff are being issued with updated guidance to enable them to keep safe in the work environment.

You can also make use of NCT’s recently launched online “Capacity Checker” to see how quiet or busy their bus may be. This enables you to plan ahead and avoid travelling at busy times.

NCT services 1, 26 and 49 will continue to operate as "exact fare only" like all other NCT services, with no change available from the driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This must also mean the return of the midi-buses on routes they normally operate, which where they have been run at all have used deckers in the past few weeks.

kevjs

This must also mean the return of the midi-buses on routes they normally operate, which where they have been run at all have used deckers in the past few weeks.
Not all - the 11 has been operated by Midi Buses (although not the usual Solos)

Odd site seeing double deckers at Morrisons though, however they are bashing the trees to bits round Abbey Park, obviously not cut back enough to expect double deckers down there (noticed in more recent days NCT have been running the buses with bars on the top front windows on that route)

IMG_20200603_190131_MP.jpg

cnjb8

Established Member
The stop on Bilborough Road before the crossroads at Wollaton says TrentBarton 20/21. Is there plans for a route change? Or is it Nottinghamshire County Council making a mistake?

Probably replaced a stop using one from somewhere else - Rainbow1 suddenly appeared on the stop within the IKEA grounds - it was a while before it was corrected.

Established Member
Trentbarton are makeing more changes this weekend and next weekend one of which is returning the X38 to the full timetable. on the arriva side a hourly service will still run...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Trentbarton are makeing more changes this weekend and next weekend one of which is returning the X38 to the full timetable. on the arriva side a hourly service will still run...

Arriva may be duplicating each X38, they have been duplicating a number of other services.

Established Member
Arriva may be duplicating each X38, they have been duplicating a number of other services.
true. I have seen two 38's together the other day. If they are duplicating then why not go back to the normal timetable in line with Trent to produce a even 20 min service and not at random intervals.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
true. I have seen two 38's together the other day. If they are duplicating then why not go back to the normal timetable in line with Trent to produce a even 20 min service and not at random intervals.

Presumably, Arriva are trying to avoid wholesale changing of timetables at this stage, preferring to first see how passenger loads return. They are duplicating various services in the meantime.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Presumably, Arriva are trying to avoid wholesale changing of timetables at this stage, preferring to first see how passenger loads return. They are duplicating various services in the meantime.
That's correct. It would have been unachievable to reschedule the whole depot with a few days notice, so duplicating a handful of the existing duties which contain busy trips is a satisfactory middle ground for a week before frequency enhancements kick in.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
That's incorrect, the 20 minute combined headway returns from Monday.

cnjb8

Established Member
Does anyone know what CT4N normally use the BYDs on please?
Sometimes on the 33/33X and 14/29. They are allocated to L12 in place of smaller Solos. One is also in use as a shuttle to the East Midlands Gateway development at East Mids Airport. Destined for Medilink eventually

Man of Kent

Sometimes on the 33/33X and 14/29. They are allocated to L12 in place of smaller Solos. One is also in use as a shuttle to the East Midlands Gateway development at East Mids Airport. Destined for Medilink eventually
Thank you. As I assume they are still owned by the city council, it is intriguing to see their use on non-city council services.

Volvo142

Many Derby Arriva services saw increases in frequency from 21/6.
e.g. Sunday services returning to every 30 minutes instead of hourly on many routes (still no evening journeys);
Monday to Friday Sapphire 38 up from every 15 mins at peak / 20 off peak to every 12 mins at peak / 15 off peak, but still hourly in the evening until 10pm;
Saturday Sapphire 38 up from every 30 mins at peak / 60 off peak to every 15 mins throughout day, with evening buses until 10pm rather than 7ish.

kevjs

The fully awarded Transforming Cities bid includes road layout changes in City Hospital so the BYD Buses fit and can operate MediLink. Assuming they are being used where they fit in the interim.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think MediLink is still with NCT, but I can't see any news about when it will return to CT4N - perhaps waiting for these road alterations allow the BYDs to allow more social distancing? NCT have been using deckers and serving several stops in City Hospital but only the main entrance at QMC. I guess they would still have some available when most of their routes return to normal next week, as they won't be operating the term-time University buses.

howittpie

I think MediLink is still with NCT, but I can't see any news about when it will return to CT4N - perhaps waiting for these road alterations allow the BYDs to allow more social distancing? NCT have been using deckers and serving several stops in City Hospital but only the main entrance at QMC. I guess they would still have some available when most of their routes return to normal next week, as they won't be operating the term-time University buses.

CT4N resumed running Medilink today every 15 minutes from QMC floor B entrance to City Hospital only due to Queens Drive P&R still not being open

joenffc

Currently NCT are still using double deckers on most routes and the university buses are being used in the correct areas mainly

4s on 1s

34s on 35s and 36s

they do have quite a lot of spares too and I imagine they will continue to use as many as possible when service returns to normal

cnjb8

Established Member
22 June
EDIT: Just realised it's today :lol:

lukepsmith

Currently NCT are still using double deckers on most routes and the university buses are being used in the correct areas mainly

4s on 1s

34s on 35s and 36s

they do have quite a lot of spares too and I imagine they will continue to use as many as possible when service returns to normal

no 34s have been used on 35s or 36s its only 35s being used on the 36s

MCR247

Established Member
34s have been off road although I imagine at least a few will be back next week

cnjb8

Established Member
I was completely unaware of new commercial bus service in Bingham - Vectare 93/B every 1-2hours between Bingham & Grantham. Partial replacement for Centrebus/Call Connect 3 in Grantham which are suspended.

That must be why they purchased two EVM Citylines!

cnjb8

Established Member
I notice Intu have gone into administration, which means construction on Broadmarsh has come to a halt, with the project under threat.
I'm sure this will have an impact on the buses in Nottingham, especially if Vic Centre closes

kevjs

I notice Intu have gone into administration, which means construction on Broadmarsh has come to a halt, with the project under threat.
I'm sure this will have an impact on the buses in Nottingham, especially if Vic Centre closes
Broadmarsh Bus Station is unconnected to intu Broadmarsh, work has been continuing on the former, but has been stopped on the latter since March.

The Victoria Bus Station is outside the centre so should be unaffected.

cnjb8

Established Member
Broadmarsh Bus Station is unconnected to intu Broadmarsh, work has been continuing on the former, but has been stopped on the latter since March.

The Victoria Bus Station is outside the centre so should be unaffected.
I meant loss of passengers

SCH117X

Established Member
I meant loss of passengers
Unlikely to have any effect - if the passengers need to catch that bus they will still go to the relevant bus station. Broad Marsh has been a dump/ building site for some time but it does not affect the need to catch the bus. Historically Nottinghams bus stations have often been poorly located in terms of shopping; Mount Street was part of a failed shopping centre separated from the city centre by a dual carriageway and Huntingdon Street was put out on a limb as the shopping activity in the city swung to north (Victoria Centre) from the east (the former Market) although its replacement at the Victoria Centre was planned and implemented. The impact is more likely to be on other shops if their is a drop in wider footfall; it took years for rental values to correct themselves after the market near Huntingdon Street closed and the Victoria Centre opened.

AndyW33

Mind you, if the Broadmarsh Centre becomes an entirely abandoned hulk instead of a stalled building site, actually getting from the rebuilt Broadmarsh Bus Station to the traditional shopping streets would be a considerably longer walk than it was with the previous Bus Station since the walking route took you right through the Broadmarsh Centre. This was intended to be the case again once both the new Bus Station and the Centre rebuild were completed. I forsee lots of ENCTS cards on the combined P&R and shopping shuttle buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.