• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

I'm travelling to Norfolk from Matlock on Sunday 1/10/17, and in order to avoid an hour on Nottingham station I intend to make a break for the 1550 to Norwich having arrived on 1543 arrival from Matlock. I know the minimum connection time for Nottingham is 8 minutes, but does anyone think my plan for 7 minutes connection is achievable given trains running to time? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
RTT is suggesting the train from Matlock rolls into 3B with the Norwich service going from 3C, so should be easily doable on time.

Just keep an eye out for any platform swaps, as platform 4 is a long walk from platform 3

robbeech

Established Member
Try and keep an eye on any potential platform alterations ahead of time, as Kite says, there are some good long walks with the footbridges being at the west end of the station. A 3B to a 4 or a 7 to a 1B are not super fast.
There is no reason that someone able bodied couldn't move fairly swiftly from one extreme to the other in 7 minutes and if you only need to do a 3B to 3C then that should be easy. Bear in mind that the Norwich train divides at Nottingham, so this can take a bit of time, but there is padding in the timetable to allow this so if it is late arriving it won't necessarily be late leaving. It is due into NOT at 1532, but these services are not know for their prompt running and as your service terminates, if the Norwich train is going to arrive after yours due to late running then one of the 2 is almost certainly going to be booked into a different platform at late notice.

If you fancied a change of train, scratching a few more local shacks off, and your ticket permits it (which i assume it does) Then you could always get the 1623 out of Nottingham which is Skegness bound that calls at Grantham about 15 minutes before the next Norwich service.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yep, watch out for the eastern end platforms. Changing from any platform of the three groups 1C/2/3C, 4/6C or 7 to a platform in one of the other groups involves walking most of the way down the platform (or the whole way if you need to use the lift), crossing over and walking back down the other side.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
did the other footbridge disappear when they built the tram extension?

The "centre" footbridge is still there (with a separate link up to the tram) but it's actually towards the west end of the station. There was one at the east end until about 1990 but I think it went straight across with no platform access.

ge-gn

Thank you for all this useful information. I have got children with me, so it will be a risk but if we're ready and if the trains run as timetabled we should be fine if it's pl3c to pl3b. Failing that, if we miss it, its good to know that there is a stopper to Grantham I can pick up (my ticket is valid on anything)rather than hanging around at Nottingham with the little darlings. Thanks robbeech.

Does the centre bridge have lifts now the tram is up there? The map on national rail appears to be way out of date, dating from the time the remodelling was going on...

Last edited:

Steveoh

No the centre bridge doesn't have lifts. Step free access to the tram is via the main station building. It's quite a long walk around.

Status
Not open for further replies.