• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham-Reading routing and open fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
Hi folks, a little bit of guidance if you would...

I occasionally travel Nottingham-Reading and when I do so I'm "lucky" enough to be able to do so on a first open return if necessary. As far as I can tell from the routing guide, permitted routes are via Derby/Birmingham/Banbury, or via London.

The TVM at Nottingham station (and the national rail website for that matter) appears to be prepared to sell me a "via Banbury" ticket or a "via London" ticket, but won't offer me an "Any Permitted" ticket. For first, "via Banbury" is circa £30 more expensive than "via London". I appreciate that as I'm asking open tickets, I could just buy two singles, one at each departure point just before I travel, but in an ideal world I'd rather just buy a return ticket in one transaction and have done with it. So...

1. Can I buy an "Any Permitted" ticket that would allow me to please myself which way I travel depending on what time I'm ready to leave Reading? If so, how?

2. If both routes are permitted and one is more expensive than the other, why isn't there an "Any Permitted" fare that matches the most expensive route-specific fare?

3. If I buy the more expensive "via Banbury" ticket and then decide to on the less expensive travel "via London", how can I be excessed when I've paid a higher fare / what would the "penalty" for going off the ticketed route be?

TIA,

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I can see no Route: Any Permitted tickets for the Nottingham-Reading flow.

Edit - Plus I can't seem to find another ticket that would allow Nottingham-Reading via either London or Banbury.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
... But from what I can see any station Lincoln-Rolleston to Twyford Route: +Any Permitted is valid either via London or via Banbury.

Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
3. If I buy the more expensive "via Banbury" ticket and then decide to on the less expensive travel "via London", how can I be excessed when I've paid a higher fare / what would the "penalty" for going off the ticketed route be?

I think you would be excessed £0.00.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The more expensive fare is automatically valid on any routes where the fare is the same or less. To travel on a route which has a higher fare, the excess is half the difference for each leg of the journey.

Thus the Via London fare is a better buy unless you will certainly be travelling via Banbury both ways.

By chance I made this journey at the weekend (although for Off Peak tickets the fare is dearer via London). I'll send you a PM of a ticket giving more routeing choices and which is cheaper, for the Off Peak at least.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The TVM at Nottingham station (and the national rail website for that matter) appears to be prepared to sell me a "via Banbury" ticket or a "via London" ticket, but won't offer me an "Any Permitted" ticket. For first, "via Banbury" is circa £30 more expensive than "via London".
Things like this are daft, I believe that the most expensive ticket should be re-named Any Permitted (and I include any route in that, such as "Plus High Speed") to avoid confusion, as because the ticket costs more, it is also valid via the cheaper routes too. Some staff may insist on issuing a £0.00 excess but whether this is needed is debatable (if crossing London on a ticket without the + though it would be recommended to get a zero excess with the + otherwise it will cause issues with LU, as described in other threads!)

I appreciate that as I'm asking open tickets, I could just buy two singles, one at each departure point just before I travel, but in an ideal world I'd rather just buy a return ticket in one transaction and have done with it. So...
True...

(though bear in mind that the old "Open" ticket names are now called Anytime, and that there is a new term of "open" which has a slightly different meaning, therefore using the term "open" can cause confusion! Of course, I understand you are referring to the old terminology, where an Open Return is twice the price of an Open Single, but now that Off Peak tickets are considered "open" (a craze started by Thetrainline around 10 years ago I believe) a ticket that is only £1 more for a return may also be considered "open"!)
1. Can I buy an "Any Permitted" ticket that would allow me to please myself which way I travel depending on what time I'm ready to leave Reading? If so, how?
The more expensive ticket (via Banbury) is valid both ways or can be excessed for £0.00, however the excess is required unless you fancy having hassle at LU gates. Obtaining a £0.00 excess can be tricky, and it will cost you more. Therefore, I do not recommend this option.

The cheaper ticket (via London) can be excessed with a Change of Route excess for £14.25. A change of route excess is the only type of excess that you have a right to purchase (as I understand it) at the time the original ticket is purchased, and the Routeing Guide states that you should be offered this option when you purchase your ticket (though obviously a machine won't offer that!). This type of excess does not carry any penalty if purchased on board the train.
2. If both routes are permitted and one is more expensive than the other, why isn't there an "Any Permitted" fare that matches the most expensive route-specific fare?
Because the system is bonkers. To be fair, I am not saying we should rip up the entire system and start again, but there are some relatively simple basic principles that could be applied that would not change any prices or conditions in any material way but would make things simpler for everyone. This is one of them.
You should be charged £0.00 for a change of route excess but you will not be refunded. Also some staff do not like issuing zero fare excesses as some TOCs insist that a form is completed, but if they do not issue it, your ticket won't have a + sign, and all I will say on that is.. see recent threads on that subject (they can get heated so I don't wish to re-open that debate ;))

Skymonster

Established Member
Thankyou Yorkie and LexyBoy - I appreciate the advice and guidance

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.