Nottingham to Grantham - 26th April

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by P156KWJ, 22 Apr 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P156KWJ

P156KWJ Established Member

Hi,
    This Saturday I have a couple of railtours to see. After seeing the Welsh dragon at Nottingham, I was intending on getting a direct service from Nottingham to Grantham, but it turns out there are no trains due to engineering, and Nottingham-Norwich RRBs can't stop at Grantham any way. So instead I am intending on going via Newark, but no through fares are available via Newark, so would it be best if I buy a cheap day return from Nottingham to Newark Castle, then a another C.D.R. from Newark North gate to Grantham on NXEC? Slightly annoying, as it costs about £6 from Newark to Grantham, and yet it's only just over 10 minutes!
    Ta,

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. David

David Established Member

But there is busses running between Nottingham and Grantham anyway ....

4. P156KWJ

I know, the skeggy services stop there, but I will only use RRBs at absolute last resort, it's enough to put anyone off travelling by bus, being stuck on a stupid coach with loads of chavs going to skegness scabness

5. me123

me123 Established Member

Assume you have a child fare, and going by NFM95 (slightly out of date), £3.15 CDR to Grantham, but as you say travel via Newark is not permitted (Map PS).

NOT-NCT is £2.25 CDR + £2.70 SDR for NNG-GRA totals £4.95.

I can't find any better splits TBH. Of course, allow for inflation in these prices.

6. P156KWJ

don't think they've increased, went to grantham in february and thought it was reasonably cheap, considering petrol and parking otherwise

7. me123

me123 Established Member

^Might only be by a couple of pennies, of course. My local routes only went up 5p at the last increase, and they're not much cheaper than these.

8. P156KWJ

I know you can't get as many bargain fares to London direct from EMT any more, because of the switch of a lot of them to megatrain.com which seems okay actually, although the £1 tickets are +50p booking charge and at stupid o clock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.