• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

now that's what i call bashing(south wales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve158

due to having a bad cold at work on sunday i've chucked in today's revised plan to do the H.O.W. anyway -

Friday:

Started on the 0836 Wessex from Shrub Hill to Gloucester. 20mins at Gloucester(i think), ran over to asda for some breakfast then came back and got the 0925 CT to Newport - yeees, Nottm have provided us with a 158.

Arrived Newport 1004, whilst trying to dodge some mad asian woman trying to sell me health insurance i bought my south wales rover and trying to help the booking clerk with the computer system. strange, i've never seen one like that before. at 1030 got the FGW HST to swansea, fairly busy but got a seat. arrived swansea on time, couple of 'grab shots' of Landore Depot.

when i got to swansea, there was a 153 waiting on platform 5. this wasn't the pembroke dock train was it ?? it was! oh well, 2 hours or so on a 153. travelled through to camarthen alright. we had 16min there which gave me loads of time to get pictures of the station and the 'depot'. bit of a change from worcester..

Anyway, back on the 153. our new guard was one of the old stalwarts, really friendly and having a laugh with the passengers. he managed to keep in check a lively group of girls going to saundersfoot. got to tenby, realised what the 12min was for - waiting for the token to be released to go onto the pembroke single line. loads of pictures again. arrived in pembroke around 1400.

pembroke town centre is really spread out and quiet. however, being near the coast, i managed to get some fish and chips(not bad), a pint(brains - ok) and a go on the amusements. back on the 153, all went well until we got to tenby. the train from camarthen was 10min late. oh ****, i'd miss my connection from Whitland To Milford. have to do it another day.

i guessed i'd miss the 1730 HST from swansea, so i got the 1702 Camarthen-Manchester as far as hereford. quick trip into morrisons for some supper, then home.
-- edited ---

now onto the Cardiff Valleys bit.

same train as friday off WOS, but started on the 1041 to Bridgend, surprisingly a 150. after grangetown a young lad(i won't call him a chav, he didn't look like one)asked what i was doing(taking photos).after barry on the VoG it's a nice run through to bridgend, nice scenery.

arrived bridgend 5min late. never mind - the 1149 maesteg train was late. i needed a warm drink so i went over to the very nice cafe on platform 2. sells most things and at reasonable prices. another 150 to maesteg then(10min late),another single line(from Tondu)up to maesteg. returned on the same unit to Cardiff getting shots of Pontyclun and Pencoed.

decided to have an hour's break, rather than half an hour in Cardiff for some lunch in the Prince of Wales Pub. then onto the 1406 City line train - my first pacer! nice views of Canton depot. we arrived early at Radyr and suprisingly, i managed to get the next aberdare service(1425). yes, another pacer.

now this is where i cocked up. i got off the train at abercynon north, just to say i'd got a train from both abercynon stations. it cost me half an hour later. walked to abercynon south(not the nicest area i've got to say), and got the 1506 to Merthyr(pacer!) 13min wait at merthyr, the old station is now a shopping centre!! into tesco then for some snacks. back at 1543 and got off at Pontypridd. big station this but not much used. there was another wetherspoons across the road and i had 20min so had another pint. and on finally(i feel as tired typing this now as on it yesterday) to the 1636 to treherbert, thankfully a 150. on the way back the guard, who had been watching me, again asked what i was doing. she didn't say anything after but "you sad ****" must have been in her mind! 1715 back to Cardiff then, got some tea and then on the 1847 to hereford!

absolutely shattered, but i've loads of pictures now and i just need the fishguard, milford, coryton and aberdare lines to finish now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
steve158 said:
when i got to swansea, there was a 153 waiting on platform 5. this wasn't the pembroke dock train was it ?? it was! oh well, 2 hours or so on a 153. travelled through to camarthen alright. .
Yep it's always* a 153, a 158 is detached at Cardiff, only the 153 operates the whole route. A bonus of this is if you are doing Cardiff-Manchester, you can get on the 158 about 15 mins before departure as the 158 is already there awaiting the 153.

I guess the loadings are a lot lighter west of Cardiff!

* As far as I know!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry to burst your know-ATW bubble yorkie, but Pembroke Dock services don't start at Cardiff anymore, instead starting from and terminating at Swansea.

Also, anyone who might have seen another thread posted by steve158 will have noticed that I warned it would be a 153 on the 1150 off Swansea, as it was 313 when I did it last time to go to Ferryside to tick off the last station on the mainline between Milford Haven and Bromsgrove via Hereford!

If you want to do the Fishguard line, I'd recommend doing the 1055 off Cardiff to Fishguard Harbour, as this runs fast to Llanelli via the Swansea District Line and the Carmarthen avoider, calling then at Whitland and Fishguard Harbour. Gets back to Cardiff via the same route, and has a bit of slack in the timetable to arrive back there at 1608. Of course, I'd suggest breaking off at Whitland on the way back to cover the Milford Haven line then, if timings work out (I'm not digging around in ATW's TT B to find out right now). Or, if you really felt brave, you could try and get the bus to Haverfordwest and get the unit to Milford Haven from there, but I don't know times for that.

Glad to know you had a good time in South Wales. The Maesteg would have been late as the vast majority of them now run from Gloucester and vice-versa. Mind, they usually have 15 minutes of slack time at Cardiff, sometimes more (!). Especially true in the evenings at least. You were unlucky to get a 150, a good few services have 158s on them now. Pacers still work the services though, so you could be lucky too. Also, the Maesteg line is single throughout, just with a crossing point just north of Tondu station.

steve158

is there much in whitland?? i can have 2 hours there, or go all the way back to camarthen and have an hour there.

anyway, my plans for wales(part 2)are:

Mon 13 Mar - Fishguard and Milford
Tue 14 Mar - H-O-W and Rest of the Valley Lines
Thu 14 Mar - Conwy Valley, Festiniog and Cambrian Coast
Fri 15 Mar - Llandudno and Holyhead

btw, if there are any welsh speakers on, what do "Dinas" and "Ystrad" Mean??

Ben

steve158 said:
is there much in whitland?? i can have 2 hours there, or go all the way back to camarthen and have an hour there.

anyway, my plans for wales(part 2)are:

Mon 13 Mar - Fishguard and Milford
Tue 14 Mar - H-O-W and Rest of the Valley Lines
Thu 14 Mar - Conwy Valley, Festiniog and Cambrian Coast
Fri 15 Mar - Llandudno and Holyhead

btw, if there are any welsh speakers on, what do "Dinas" and "Ystrad" Mean??
Dinas is either Swansea or Newport cant remember which.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm no Welsh speaker, but I think Ystrad means Vale and Dinas means City.

Established Member
ROFL. When i have uploaded my pictures from oban be prepared to be embarssed

Techniquest

Veteran Member
And I remember why I feel embarassed to be found on certain meets sometimes...Time for >18 meets I think...

On topic, Whitland does not have much, but it does have a chip shop 5 minutes away from the station. I went to the pub by the station once, reasonable atmosphere, reasonably priced Guiness (slightly more than I like paying but worth it to have something to do). Carmarthen is a much better place to spend time, as there are more shops, supermarkets, pubs and buses there.

Seth is correct on the word 'Dinas' meaning 'City'. It is the name for a little town or village near Cardigan, West Wales too. Dinas Powys also uses the name, although in this case it does not mean 'City Powys', but is probably used just as part of the name. I'm not a Welsh speaker or resident, so I can't be 100% sure. I didn't know 'Ystrad' meant 'Vale', but that would be a phD of a guess. Well done to Seth there!

Hope you had a good day today steve158. Sorry I didn't respond about Whitland before, I didn't see the update to the thread until this evening. Enjoy the Heart of Wales, it should be a reasonable day for bashing it tomorrow, if today's weather was anything to go by. Absolutely lovely line to do, I'll do it again during the Royal Welsh Show 2006 myself, might just get locos on it again, unless Arriva get their way! As it is 1000 times more enjoyable behind, say, 37425 than on, say, 153326!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I still don't understand how Seth can be a chav. Indeed, I'd be willing to set some other members with 'chav' status...I've just had a great idea...Time for a new Fotopic account here...

Status
Not open for further replies.