• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR CP5 Delivery Plan June Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The enhancement projects update for June 2015 has finally been uploaded onto the NR web site: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/publications/delivery-plans/control-period-5/cp5-delivery-plan/
However, it seems pretty much worthless given events since then.
The electrification milestones I have looked at are either unchanged (and therefore unbelievable) or have been pulled completely (eg those for GW).
It keeps making reference to replanning the projects with stakeholders.
I don't expect NR is very proud of this document.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
P46 of of CP5 Enhancements Delivery Plan relating to Preston to Blackpool Electrification

"These GRIP 3 completion milestones have been missed. Revised dates for this
regulated milestone will be published in the March 2016 update."

P137 of CP5 Enhancements Delivery Plan under train lengthening

"Hadfield - Dinting – Glossop – Manchester rail capacity improvements – scope to be identified." - might relate to replacing 323s?

Last edited by a moderator:

snowball

Established Member
I'm somewhat surprised they've bothered to publish it given the events of the last couple of months.

No info on revised schedules till next March?? We're supposed be getting something from the government well before then.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Away from electrification it says (p46) things like Huyton-Roby Phase 2 (ie full 4-tracking) will be finished by February 2016;
and that Ordsall Chord work has started and will finish in December 2016.
Not credible.

snowball

Established Member
Away from electrification it says (p46) things like Huyton-Roby Phase 2 (ie full 4-tracking) will be finished by February 2016;
and that Ordsall Chord work has started and will finish in December 2016.
Not credible.

I suppose it says that because they are the target dates most recently approved by ORR, and ORR has not consented to relax them, rather than being honest predictions of the expected completion dates.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
PAGE 9 The Secretary of State has asked Sir Peter Hendy to set out how Network Rail will deliver the CP5 Enhancement Programme in light of deliverability and cost challenges. As announced by the Secretary of State, Midland Main Line Electrification (ES001) and North TransPennine Electrification East (LNE001) are now paused and will be re-planned as part of this this proposal. The remainder of the projects in this plan are continuing but are all in scope of the replanning exercise. The re-planning proposals will be presented to the Secretary of State in the autumn. It is expected that the impact of the re-planning exercise will be reflected in an updated plan to be published in March 2016.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They have to publish the plans even if they are outdated, part of their license obligation to be transparent about public funds.

These have to be published, the project I am PM for is still credible and valid :)

CdBrux

They have to publish the plans even if they are outdated, part of their license obligation to be transparent about public funds.

Do they have to publish stuff that is clearly nonsense though? It just adds to the impression of an organisation that simply doesn't have a clue, rightly or probably mostly wrongly.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yes, its evidence of their thinking and belief at the time, whether good or bad in hindsight. You cant just publish the stuff that shows you in a good light.

snowball

Established Member
But they publish deadlines that have already been missed and don't give currently expected completion dates. They also publish the new version at the same web address as the previous one so unless you've saved a copy you can't compare.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It must be a nightmare to edit and publish.
There's a whole science to project management and reviews, and there are always tussles between the "tell it as it is" people on the project, and the "we must hold the dates" of the managers.
Reputations and careers will be at risk.
They already use very defensive language, hiding behind the GRIP process and invisible reviews with "stakeholders". Milestones are very carefully chosen.
There will also be fights going on underneath between NR and its contractors/suppliers, which are commercially sensitive.
There is also usually a game of bluff going on about whose dates will slip first.
Best not to admit problems if another part of the project (eg rolling stock or signalling) is going to slip first and take the pressure off.
But despite all the internal project machinations, the travelling public can see how most NR projects are progressing and can form their own opinions!
Hopefully ORR and DfT are shadowing all this and are not fooled.

I used to produce such a report (on insignificant projects compared to NR I might add), and all I learnt is that they usually do shoot the messenger (before moving on to the offending project manager)!

CdBrux

In the company I have worked for (non rail related) then knowingly not communicating risks to project timetables and budgets and pretending things were on target when they were not was strongly discouraged. It can only need to further problems. If this is not the case in NR then some serious culture change is needed. They are spending huge chunks of public money, an organisation used to covering things up is not 'fit for purpose'.

Class 170101

Established Member
Modern Railways this month is reporting that TPE wiring will be un-paused this Autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.