• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR Manchester Assessment Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernwoody

Evening everyone!

I have been asked to attend the above. I don't know the city well and as it's 3.5 hours and over 200 miles from me - I think I will go the night before.

Can anyone recommend a hotel near to the centre (Travis Street) please? Considering going by rail so I don't have to worry about car parking etc.

Thank you in anticipation!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charl1e2

Evening everyone!

I have been asked to attend the above. I don't know the city well and as it's 3.5 hours and over 200 miles from me - I think I will go the night before.

Can anyone recommend a hotel near to the centre (Travis Street) please? Considering going by rail so I don't have to worry about car parking etc.

Recently had assessment there and stayed in premier Inn prestwich. It was very convenient as it was off the motor way so might not be as good for you. However it is 5 minutes walk from the metro, and the metro takes about 20 minutes from there.

Check out is at 12, which is convenient if you have an afternoon assessment.

Car parking is available next to square 1 and £3 for the whole day. But it does need £3 in cash (no notes or cards) or there is a pay by phone option with an app. Not sure if NR had its own parking facilities for candidates.

Trackman

Established Member
Evening everyone!

Premier Inn at Piccadilly sounds a good bet.

Go through the station car park / Platform one to get to square one.

Established Member
Travis St is a 5 min walk from Fairfield St, below P14. I live closeby and there are loads of hotels usually fighting for custom within the city centre.

City Centre
Motel One (2mins, Adj front of Man Picc) tends to be £84.
Sasha's or the Britannia (5 min walk) about £70.

Further Afield
Ibis Budget, Salford Quays (14mins by tram) is usually £40-50.
Campanile, (35 min walk, or 15 by bus) is usually about £50.

Use booking.com, expedia, trivago or my fav is Hotwire.

gazcat

I recently had an assessment at the Mercure Piccadilly Manchester hotel right in the centre near Piccadilly Gardens, but stayed across the road at the Britannia, as it was much cheaper at just over £40 - it was cheap and cheerful, wouldn't recommend other than for a cheap room for the night.
That was through Booking.com booked a couple of weeks in advance.

Northernwoody

Thank you - again everyone.

Had to chase up the signallers handbook that they didn't send out to me following the assessment letter, but I have to say HR were really lovely and it was sent immediately.

This time next month I would have done and dusted the assessment - feeling quite anxious, excited, terrified and happy all rolled in to one!

MylesHSG

Good luck mate. I had my assessment in Euston earlier this year. Just make sure you're familiar with the tests and a bit of advice, the lift beep test is a lot faster than the practice one they do!

Status
Not open for further replies.