• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR rolling stock with connecting doors "for emergency use only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Badami

Obviously I'm familiar with LUL stock which has connecting doors that are not permitted to be used except in emergencies.

But a while ago I had cause to travel a couple of stops on a TFL service on one of the Liverpool Street routes and was surprised to see interconnecting doors marked as for emergency use only.

I forgot to post my query at the time, and forget now whether it was a London Overground or TFL Rail service. It was certainly old ex-BR stock (I'm guessing it would be 315?).

So my question is: has 315 stock (assuming that's what it was) always had a prohibition on using the connecting doors except in emergencies, or is that a TFL thing?

And secondly, is there any other stock that has a similar prohibition.?

I'm just curious, because it's not something I'd ever noticed before on NR...

Regards,

roy

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've travelled most of my life on 313s and 315s and have never seen this before. Admittedly I've not brushed much with 315s since LO, so things may have changed with that regime, but it seems odd as the connections are fully contained (unlike LU stock where there are genuine gaps between cars!)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Obviously I'm familiar with LUL stock which has connecting doors that are not permitted to be used except in emergencies. But a while ago I had cause to travel a couple of stops on a TFL-run rail service on one of the Liverpool St routes and was surprised to see interconnecting doors marked as for emergency use only. I forgot to post my query at the time, and forget now whether it was an LO or TFL Rail service. It was certainly old ex-BR stock (I'm guessing it would be 315?).

So my question is? Has 315 stock (assuming that's what it was) always had a prohibition on using the connecting doors except in emergencies, or is that a TFL thing? And secondly, is there any other stock that has a similar prohibition.?

I'm just curious, because it's not something I'd ever noticed before on NR...

Regards,

roy

Could it have been a sign on the door to the drivers cab that you saw?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Its just TfL trying to pretend that these National Rail services are really London Underground services. There's never been a prohibition before, and there's no real reason for one now.

If they really did want to cease maintaining the tread plates then they'd surely need to lock these doors.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Most people who have used these trains for years before these new notices appeared just ignore them and use the gangways anyway.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I mean, they also put signs on every window that say open window for ventilation. Tells you all you really need to know!

NSEFAN

Established Member
I too have wondered why TfL put these stickers on the doors in their 315s. If there is a real safety issue then surely the doors would need to be locked out? What's acceptable on the tube isn't necessarily acceptable on the mainline.

I think more likely TfL want to think of all their lines in a similar manner to the tube, even down to the way they present the trains. Maybe it's a cynical plot to make people appreciate the 345s more by saying "... and you can walk between the carriages, you couldn't do that on the old trains!" ;)

If TfL could shrink the trains down to be 12' in diameter, they would! Perhaps one of the mainline engineers could have a word with one of their TfL colleagues about the safety features of corridor connections at coach ends, new invention since the 1890s?

Robsignals

Could simply be protecting against claims for compensation from anyone thrown around by movement between coaches, passengers go through at their own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.