• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR track op application (unsuccessful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all,

straight to the point.. I have applied for dozens Network Rail positions for Operative roles, 3 are currently under review (assessment 2) however the rest time after time keep becoming unsuccessful. I have emailed, rung up, and even gone to visit local NR yards to speak to managers and staff who have been great help, but I keep getting told, "just keep trying"..

I have edited my profile to the point where I cannot enhance it no more unless I lie, which I wont do, I have great experience all all types of work, mainly construction, I have also done extensive research into rail work (as this is what I lack, I have no rail experience) but I dont seem to be getting anywhere. I have gone through essential requirements and I feel I meet them all and can provide examples of each.. I am also very passionate about this job and have always wanted to do this (I applied within school many years ago and was unsuccessful)

the one thing that frustrates me is the video they advertise on this particular role on there site, they have a video of the young lad who states he has no quals etc and everything he has learnt has been through NR, so they're willing to take people on without the experience obviously?

any suggestions? I can keep trying but I doubt every application now that is sent

:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ladder23

Established Member
CV i not needed it asks for the downloadable file to be completed, and attached, which ive done and its flawless, in my eyes..

who knows, every hiring manager will see things differently, whats good to one may look desperate to another

Lddex

Did you have to do a SJT test? Its prop the fact that that your scores are not as high as others to go through to the next round. I know some NR jobs do a SJT test (top 8 go through to the next round) its an easy way for HR to whittle down the competition. You're obv doing something correct as 3 of your applications are being considered for Assessment 2.

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
Did you have to do a SJT test? Its prop the fact that that your scores are not as high as others to go through to the next round. I know some NR jobs do a SJT test (top 8 go through to the next round) its an easy way for HR to whittle down the competition. You're obv doing something correct as 3 of your applications are being considered for Assessment 2.

as it happens each previous one got to this stage prior to becoming unsuccessful too.

whatever is stopping me from getting passed this point, I need to know

Lddex

I know when I applied for signalling. I couldn't get past the first hurdle. Then i did. You just have to keep trying and putting in for roles. Even now on the internal process. I have put in for the same grade and been turned down at the first step, but on several higher grade jobs I've got through to interview. But with signalling there was SJT scores and Assessment scores and if you weren't in the top 8 and top 5 of the scores then your application does not go through. I doubt that they even look at your C.V or letter. I think the SJT test does the first sift for external applications - then the Assessment scores does the next Sift for the interview.

Keep applying and keep crossing those fingers.

Ladder23

Established Member
how can I re do this test?

are these the 4 questions you have to do on each job? summarize experience etc etc, as I am sure I did a test, and I have not had to do this since the first application?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Don't know if it will work, but you could try setting up a new account with a different email address next time you apply.

Lddex

The SJT is situation judgement test. Your colleague turns up drunk do you A) tell manager B) tell them to go home and cover for them C) Try to sober them up D)ignore it

Your results normally last for a year.

If you did something like this this - then there is nothing you can do.

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
im confident in my answers, I cant see this being a problem.

I just think its experience which puts me down (no rail experience) but why do they advertise the guy on the track operative video who states came with nothing, they clearly welcome people without mega experience who are willing to acquire the skills..

:|

woblynne

Hi, I applied for many jobs in different departments, maintenance (track, signal, off track, overhead line), also a few positions as a signaller. Some didn't even get a look in, some got further. It does depend on everyone else who has applied and where your score ranks with theres.

I had no prior experience on the railway but have just finished my signallers training.

Persistence really does pay off, try getting feedback to see if there are any gaps on your application and don't give up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.