• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRE Darwin webservice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Sorry if this is poorly suited, mods please feel free to move or delete as appropriate.

I'm working on a programming project which needs to pull data about train departures. National Rail Enquiries provides the Darwin data feeds in two forms, both a "Public Version" and a "Staff Version" with the Staff Version being more detailed.

Is the staff version actually reserved only for the use of members of railway staff (which I am not)? The reason I ask is that it's possible to register for access to this data feed without proving oneself to be a member of railway staff, and also that the documentation states that it is the same data which powers the staff version of live departure boards, which might be where the name comes from rather than who is allowed to use it?

I'd much prefer to use the staff version because of the more detailed data it provides but equally I don't want to break the rules.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailAleFan

Both versions are open to all.

"Staff" is just the terminology used to differentiate the service from the "Public" version which has all the interpretation of the data done for public display, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.