• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nre not available whilst i was abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Hello. I was abroad two weeks ago and wanted to check train times for after I landed back in the UK.
But..... I wasn't allowed to!!
NRE said that it wasn't available in the country I was in.

Why???

What possible reason could there be for not allowing people to look at train times when they are abroad???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Indeed. Just checked again and I can access both NRE and TheTrainline.com from two different machines in the US. I might try later with one in Brazil, but my guess is that it will work as well.

suzanneparis

Very strange.

It's the second time that it has happened to me. I did go onto another site - can't remember which one - and that did work.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Does this mean that NRE themselves aren't blocking access to their site for people in some external countries??

suzanneparis

Russia. But as I say other providers of rail information worked fine. It was only NRE I had problems with.

najaB

Veteran Member
Does this mean that NRE themselves aren't blocking access to their site for people in some external countries??
There is certainly no evidence to support the contention that they are. CheesyChips posted above that he was able to access it in Russia.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Could be the server you are using in Russia.
It certainly does not appear to be a fault at NRE

BzRail

Hello. I was abroad two weeks ago and wanted to check train times for after I landed back in the UK.
But..... I wasn't allowed to!!
NRE said that it wasn't available in the country I was in.

Why???

What possible reason could there be for not allowing people to look at train times when they are abroad???

NRE does have some country based blocks in effect. It depends on which country they 'think' the connection originated from (IP address geo-location).

A few months ago, NRE stopped working from my employer's office in central London (same error as you saw). After several attempts, we eventually got somebody from ATOC to admit that they had my work IP address listed as allocated to Romania. They did put in some kind of work-around, but I still often see the same error message, it takes a browser refresh (CTRL-F5) to fix it.

The reasons for the block could be many. It could include sources of exploit (hack) or denial-of-service attempts. Cynically, they may not want potential visitors to see all the delays and disruption;)

The running of NRE will be outsourced to some external IT company, so it will likely be them making the decisions/mistakes.

We could still access the Live Departure Boards through a TOC's own site however (e.g. Southern).

Hope this helps, although an industry insider may be able to give a more accurate response.

suzanneparis

Many thanks for the many replies.

And thanks for listing your experience BzRail. That was interesting.

Yes like you I could access a TOC site and so solved my problem. But equally interesting Cheesychips can get access to NRE when he is in Russia.

All very strange.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Reminds me of a proposal back in the 70s for the Americans to put their ICBMs on trains so the Russians wouldn't know where to strike at them. Some wag suggested they should attach them to Amtrak's scheduled services and give the Russians a copy of the timetable.

CheesyChips

Reminds me of a proposal back in the 70s for the Americans to put their ICBMs on trains so the Russians wouldn't know where to strike at them. Some wag suggested they should attach them to Amtrak's scheduled services and give the Russians a copy of the timetable.

The public complain about poor railway punctuality when in reality it could be a matter of national security!

Those services that are constantly delayed are in fact part of "austerity Trident".

:lol:

Flying Snail

Established Member
Many thanks for the many replies.

And thanks for listing your experience BzRail. That was interesting.

Yes like you I could access a TOC site and so solved my problem. But equally interesting Cheesychips can get access to NRE when he is in Russia.

All very strange.

I Tried NRE via a Russian server and the site loaded but the journey planner and live departures kicked up an error message:

We are sorry that due to technical difficulties our on line journey planner is unavailable at present in your country.

If you need journey information for travel either today or tomorrow please contact TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50 or our Contact Centre on 0845 7 48 49 50, otherwise please try visiting the site later.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused, please be assured that we are working hard on restoring the service.

I would recommend anyone travelling a lot and using public wifi or travelling to countries with security or censorship issues should sign up to a VPN service, it provides a secure connection as well as being able to avoid geo-locking. TBH with the amount of snooping and hacking going on now from official and unofficial sources a VPN is not a bad idea for all internet use.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
We are sorry that due to technical difficulties our on line journey planner is unavailable at present in your country.

If you need journey information for travel either today or tomorrow please contact TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50 or our Contact Centre on 0845 7 48 49 50, otherwise please try visiting the site later.

Aren't 0871 and 0845 numbers also unavailable from outside the UK? If they are dialable then at least the +44 equivalents should be shown!

najaB

Veteran Member
Aren't 0871 and 0845 numbers also unavailable from outside the UK? If they are dialable then at least the +44 equivalents should be shown!
Nope. They are available to be dialled but not all foreign national networks will recognise them.

Status
Not open for further replies.