• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRE showing wrong fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
If I do a search for a day return, today, Denmark Hill to Amberley, changing at Clapham Junction, Network Rail Enquiries gives a fare of £30. But I think the correct fare is £23.20, which is offered on ticket machines. Is NRE wrong or am I?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
If I do a search for a day return, today, Denmark Hill to Amberley, changing at Clapham Junction, Network Rail Enquiries gives a fare of £30. But I think the correct fare is £23.20, which is offered on ticket machines. Is NRE wrong or am I?
The cheaper fare is an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) for journeys "not via London". The £30 is an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) for "Not Gatwick Express". There is also a £30.30 Off-Peak Day Return (also a CDR) routed "Any Permitted". They all have the same restriction of B1.

NRE finds the fastest journeys, and then the fares for those. I would have thought that the "not via London" fare was valid via Clapham J, but I haven't checked for things like negative easements or routeing restrictions.

BRX

Established Member
As far as i know, via Clapham junction is 'not via london'. Unless something has changed recently.

JB_B

Established Member
It's slightly quicker to go via Victoria so NRE is showing that route and the higher fare. If you add avoid:Victoria you should see the 23.20 fare.

BRX

Established Member
It's slightly quicker to go via Victoria so NRE is showing that route and the higher fare. If you add avoid:Victoria you should see the 23.20 fare.
It shows me the route via clapham, along with the higher fare.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
As far as i know, via Clapham junction is 'not via london'. Unless something has changed recently.

It is, and it hasn't.

It shows me the route via clapham, along with the higher fare.

Try again - NRE correctly shows me the £23.30 not via London fare when I enter avoid London Victoria.

On the NRE journey planner, for a via / avoid point you need to click on the Add button then the Update train times button.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think the OP just needs to tell us what times they are looking at today, really. Though might be in the past by now of course.

alistairlees

Established Member
I took a quick look at NRE website today

Return from Denmark Hill to Amberley
Out at 13.45, coming back at 17.45

For the outward journeys all the itineraries are:
Denmark Hill > Clapham Junction
Clapham Junction > Amberley

So not going into London - a "Not via London" fare would be fine.

For the return journey all the itineraries are:
Amberley > London Victoria
London Victoria > Denmark Hill

In this case the "Not Gatwick Express" fare is valid; but "Not via London" obviously isn't.

So the only return fare that is valid for both is "Not Gatwick Express". NRE is correctly showing this (and it's cheaper than two singles).

The issue arises as NRE searches for fastest journeys, then shows available fares.

BRX

Established Member
Ah yes - my error was not to notice that the return journeys were via Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.