NRM gets £18.5 million funding boost

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Edders23, 12 Oct 2019.

1. Edders23

Edders23 Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50015344
    So will they spend on the stock or perhaps create better facilities ?

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Oct 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. HOOVER29

HOOVER29 Member

Where is the place crumbling then??

4. 31160

31160 Member

5. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

When I went last time, I thought it was alright (August 2018). I couldn't see anywhere where it was physically falling apart, but in all honesty I wasn't looking for that. I'll take their word for it when they say some parts of the building aren't at their best.
    The link in post #1 (this one) says the following:
    I wonder if some of the buildings affected by these issues are the ones the public don't always see, or maybe a whole host of tiny issues which just costs so much because of where it is, how easy it is to get to, and so on?

-Peter

6. underbank

underbank Established Member

Is the plan still to close the road between the two main buildings and put a roof over it for outdoor events etc? Perhaps that's what the money is being used for.

7. Edders23

Edders23 Member

The money is part of a larger grant given to the science museums group so i suspect it isn't for any particular project as such but towards future plans and running costs

8. SquireBev

SquireBev Member

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
    The Manchester (MOSI) and Bradford (Media Museum) branches of what's now the Science museum group could really do with a bit of attention. The Bradford one in particular seems to have really suffered lately - not half the stuff there that there used to be.

9. Edders23

Edders23 Member

that's a shame I have never been but have been told it is supposed to be well worth a visit

10. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    The aircraft section of MOSI is falling apart. Money desperately needed there!

and to make up for the shortfall cuased by previous cuts in government funding. It took an awful lot of effort to keep these museums free

11. ic31420

ic31420 Member

Every time I've been in the last couple of years it's been closed due to building issues.

12. SquireBev

SquireBev Member

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
    The Power Hall seems to be closed semi-regularly these days as well. And the Gas Gallery has gone, and the rail link severed thanks to the Ordsall Chord. It's not a good time for them.

13. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Indeed - and what do you do if you arrive at 1130?

The main part of the museum is decent, as is the but with all the trains in. How often was the connection actually used? There was a lot of wibble about this imo.

14. 306024

306024 Established Member

Had a look in the Manchester museum a few weeks ago. The bit with the trains in is closed until 2021 apparently. Could just make out what looked like the ex Manchester - Sheffield class 77 electric locomotive under a large tarpaulin but that's all.

15. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

oh. I didnt know that!

16. MoleStation

MoleStation Member

Ex boss of failed railway infrastructure project gets new directorship

17. HOOVER29

HOOVER29 Member

In York tomorrow so I’ll have a nosey around the NRM
    Do I need to take my hard hat?

18. HOOVER29

HOOVER29 Member

Bits of the concrete floor in the great hall need sorting, trip hazards etc. Other bits of flooring are I suppose looking tired & the decor is starting to look very 1990’s ie tired. Not £18.5 million tired though.
    However it’s always a good display & they’ve moved exhibits about. Managed my best shot ever of the class 76 & Mallard. Need to stick the Deltic & D200 somewhere else. 55002 would like nice on the turntable.

19. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

20. Alanko

Alanko Member

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
    Does the Science Museum have much railway ephemera in storage at Wroughton? They have some fascinating aviation stuff in there, hidden away in a couple of leaking hangars. It would be terrific to see more of that stuff out in public.

Again I'm taking aircraft, but there was a mezzanine level in MOSI that never reopened once it was shut, and people seem to miss it.

21. AndyY1951

AndyY1951 Member

I believe the Director of MOSI, one Sally MacDonald, has publicly declared that she has no interest at all in aircraft and has vowed to close the aircraft section. Notwithstanding the fact that the aircraft industry has been, and still is, one of the historically important industries in the Northwest.

22. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

The money has been earmarked for their new development over Leeman Road. Whether this ever goes ahead is anyone’s guess as that road is a fairly critical road into York used by a number of bus services, and the proposed diversion route is dependent on another very controversial development (the teardrop between the rail lines) being approved. That’s by no means guaranteed at this point.

23. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

It's a few years since I visited the Media Museum in Bradford but it gets worse every time. I can't say I'd ever recommend it to anyone, except the iMax cinema which is naturally a great experience.

24. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

I keep hearing they're going to close Leeman Road and divert it but I can't understand how this would work as it seems to be an important route into the city centre. Plus, the only way I know how to access reasonably priced car parking is by driving down there from the city centre! I'll get very lost!

25. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

the tear drop has been talked about for years. it must be 12 or 13 years since i lived there and it was talked about then!

26. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

The Masterplan was approved earlier this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-47705319

"Multi-million pound plans to transform the area behind York railway station have been approved.
    The project will see up to 2,500 homes and 86,600 square metres of office space built on the brownfield site near the National Railway Museum.
    York Central Partnership said work should begin later this year, but could take 20 years to complete."
    The following page has all the detail on the new access arrangements: http://www.yorkcentral.info/2018/08...entral-vehicle-access-and-movement-explained/

[​IMG]

27. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

@Chris125 thanks - i though there was supposed to be a bridge at the bottom about where the river is at the foot of Holgate road

28. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

That's tragic if true.

(Surely it's her job to curate the collection of the museum, not tailor it to her personal interest?)

29. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

That’s just for the general idea. Nothing detailed in terms of road closures, housing or other development or anything else has been submitted for planning approval yet (the BBC article even tells you that) and the road closure is by no means guaranteed to happen.