• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NS Travel Ticket Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
20190903_115845.jpg 20190903_115845.jpg Yesterday I was in the Netherlands and was give this ticket by Stena as part of a Rail/Sail package fare.

Can anyone advise what type of ticket it is ?
Is it for example a Day Rover type ticket multi use, or a single/return use ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
The RET website says this about this ticket:
How do I use the NS-RET Combi-Ticket?
The NS-RET Combi-Ticket is a disposable public transport chip card ('OV-chipkaart') loaded with a special travel product that allows you to make a single rail journey on NS (2nd class) to/from any railway station in the Netherlands and on all RET's bus, tram and metro lines except the night buslines. It is a single ticket allowing you to travel with both public transport providers by checking in and out.

Where is the NS-RET Combi-Ticket valid?
On RET:
You can use the ticket for unlimited travel on RET buses, trams and metros for 2 hours after checking in for the first time. Changes are permitted. Not valid on the night buslines (= BOB bus).

On NS:
You can make a single journey between two NS stations in the Netherlands. Changes are permitted. Valid on all NS trains (2nd class). For Intercity Direct and ICE, a supplement is required. Not valid on Thalys.

The NS-RET Combi-Ticket is valid on the date it is first used to swipe in. For public transport purposes, a day begins at midnight and ends at 04:00 a.m. on the following day.

Hope this helps :)

AlexNL

Established Member
NS do have a day rover available, but it's a bit pricey (€ 53 in 2nd class) as it's valid for 24 hours.

Quite often, there are promotional tickets sold by Dutch retailers such as Kruidvat (drug store), AH (supermarket) or Blokker (home utensils). These tickets are much cheaper (sub € 20), but come with some caveats: they're only valid outside of the peaks and you have to print the ticket yourself (or load them on your smartphone).

Currently, ActieVanDeDag.nl is running such a promotion. You can buy an off-peak day rover in 2nd class for € 19,50, or in 1st class for € 26,50.

Peak hours are 06:30 - 09:00 and 16:00 - 18:30, Mo-Fr only.

At Euro 53 it's still a good price, Really looking forward to my return trip, Just looking where else to visit instead of Amsterdam.

radamfi

Established Member
There is also the Holland Travel Ticket, including bus, tram and metro as well as train, for 61 peak and 41 off-peak.

sprunt

So is this what you are now given when using the Sailrail to go from Harwich to Hoek van Holland? I appreciate that it has to be a different ticket because the Rotterdam link is now metro rather than NS, but it was formerly an NS day ticket rather than a single ticket. If that's changed, then it's something of a downgrade - when I used Sailrail I hung on to the day ticket and just bought a single to Rotterdam, using the day ticket for some travel round the Netherlands on a subsequent day.

Yes it is, I used it yesterday.
At the moment it's a bus to Schiedam then take the train to your destination.
Believe new tram link will start end Sept 19 fingers crossed.

radamfi

Established Member
I'd be very surprised if there were issues trying to use this ticket as a day ticket for NS trains, given the text says "all trains operated by NS" and you get unlimited travel on RET based on very similar text "all busses (sic), trams and metro"

Not sure I would advise anyone to do such a thing.
Revenue people must be able to tell what the ticket has been used for.

dutchflyer

Established Member
No, it has never been a dayticket and many years ago when I got stranded in LOn and had to buy such a thing (could still be done at Liv.Street at the time) I was noted that due to rampant abuse by to many englishmen it had to specify the final destination on it.
Checks are the same as for normal Dutch tickets or check-ins: one has always to travel away from the point and not toward.
The RET is thus also not a rover, but you can use it to that effect in just 2 hrs-the bus to Schiedam will eat a big chunk out of that. But as such you could get on the metro, change at Beurs and go as far as den Haag on RET-metro and even forget to check out in the den Haag section as its non-gates there. It is also unknown what happens if you overstay the 2 hrs in the gated metro when you try to checkout-in buses its usually no problem to check in at 1h59 m and finish the journey (RET buses also go some 2O/25 kms away from R-dam-as far as Zoetermeer or Dordrecht.
Also from another specific discussion about this: since some time its ONLY valid on NS and not anymore on trains by other operators in NL. Of course the daytickets mentioned above are valid on all, except Thalys. Logically most people would start using the NS portion from Schiedam, where the repl.buses end for now. and which is the logical change point anyway for Amsterdam etc.

sprunt

Yes, it has ever been a day ticket. In September 2015 I used one of the ones I was given on the ferry to travel Rotterdam-Gouda-Amsterdam Centraal-Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena-Rotterdam. All the gates opened when I used the ticket. Oh, and it said "Dagkaart" on it.

Also, I didn't have to specify a final destination in the Netherlands. What kind of abuse? If the ticket is valid to any destination in the Netherlands, what kind of abuse can there be?

sprunt

This is the section of my confirmation email with the train details in it.

Screenshot from 2019-09-03 20-57-46.png

radamfi

Established Member
Before the Hoek van Holland line closed, the tickets that you used to get from Stena Line were the same as those on sale on the boat and at Eindhoven airport and they were all day tickets. I used to stock up on them for use on future trips as they were only 17.00 on the boat.

AY1975

Established Member
View attachment 68114 View attachment 68114 Yesterday I was in the Netherlands and was give this ticket by Stena as part of a Rail/Sail package fare.

Can anyone advise what type of ticket it is ?
Is it for example a Day Rover type ticket multi use, or a single/return use ticket.

That looks to me like an ordinary paper ticket, but I presume it's a single use smartcard or a paper ticket with a barcode on the back to sign in and sign out and to open the gates at gated stations?

AlexNL

Established Member
If you click on those links it says "Exclusief voor nieuwsbriefabonnees" (exclusively for newsletter subscribers), though.
You can buy them and use them. The guards on NS won't ask you if you've subscribed to the ActieVanDeDag newsletter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.