• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NSE segment clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
To those of you who are interested, the last NSE segment clock was removed from Euston last night to be replaced with a digital equivalent. Signs of NSE are slowly fading away!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Long live the Jaffa Cake and the NSE tricolour

tsr

Established Member
There was a variable number of old "segment" clocks piled up outside London Victoria's maintenance offices a while back - the stack frequently increased and decreased in size for some reason - but I haven't looked out for them recently, so I don't know if they're still there. Needless to say, they did not work - they had no power supply!

I remember seeing one at London Bridge quite recently near the stairs/passageway between the through and terminating platforms. It was working, but in a weary and quite vague sort of way!

Long live the few NSE-liveried station name signs that have had their replacement forgotten!

b0b

Established Member
To those of you who are interested, the last NSE segment clock was removed from Euston last night to be replaced with a digital equivalent. Signs of NSE are slowly fading away!

one of my favorite memories of NSE are those clocks, especially at midnight when all the digits would change one at a time, and of course the loud "ticks".

I hope someone saves at least one NSE clock - waiting for the train isn't the same without a loud clacking sound to mark the passing seconds.

iphone76

The NSE logo is still made out in paving blocks on the platform at Billericay. In fact, we still have trains with the original NSE seat covers! Did they privatise the Great Eastern?

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's still one at King's Cross that has survived all the work - between the two monitors down on platforms 10 and 11a.

I am sure someone has simply forgotten about it.

Established Member
Cambridge still has two of them I believe, although the cases have been repainted grey so no longer show signs of their NSE heritage.

Muzer

Established Member
If these are what I think they are, that's very sad for me personally - being young, the clicking clock at Windsor & Eton Central whilst waiting for a heavily-delayed train is my first real memory of railways... I was completely terrified of it at the time, but learnt to love them ;).

I also remember it displaying "heLP" at one point :p

You are talking about those clocks with the red numbers that looked like digital clocks but made loud clicking noises, right?

Established Member
If these are what I think they are, that's very sad for me personally - being young, the clicking clock at Windsor & Eton Central whilst waiting for a heavily-delayed train is my first real memory of railways... I was completely terrified of it at the time, but learnt to love them ;).

I also remember it displaying "heLP" at one point :p

You are talking about those clocks with the red numbers that looked like digital clocks but made loud clicking noises, right?

Those are the ones - there is also one left at Whittlesford Parkway on the up platform, but it shows a different time to the departure boards. Not far off though!

Eagle

Established Member
There's a dead one on the old departures board at Brighton (I don't know why they chose to mount the electronic board in such a way that the decaying mechanical one is still fully visible: picture).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is it possible to buy one surplus or are they all bust?

craigwilson

I think there's a dead segment clock still in situ on the Dover-bound platform at Sandwich.

Also, doesn't Cannon Street also have the NSE colours (on the bottom of some of the pillars)?

PFX

I was surprised to see one last weekend but I'm not a 100% sure where. As I was only on one route (Stansted - Liverpool St) it narrows it down so I'm fairly certain it's on the Southbound platform at Tottenham Hale. It's quite high up the wall but I didn't notice if it was working or indeed, what the time was.

hluraven

Unless it has been removed very recently, there is a dead one still up at Orpington carriage sidings as well.

NSEFAN

Established Member
There are quite a few in use on the Liverpool Street - Shenfield route, with some on stations further along the line as well.

iphone76

Yep - we still have them at Billericay and Wickford on the Southend Vic line. Not sure about further out, but I would imagine so.

bengley

Established Member
I have a small clock which doesn't display seconds, just the hours and minutes. I want to try and get it working!

NSEFAN

Established Member
Do/did these clocks require some kind of master/reference signal to operate, or simply connected to the mains and running from a local timer?

Eagle

Established Member
Do/did these clocks require some kind of master/reference signal to operate, or simply connected to the mains and running from a local timer?

They are slave clocks as far as I'm aware; they need to be connected to a radio-controlled master clock.

Imagine how hellish it would be to keep them in synch if it were otherwise!

lewisf

I remember waiting for the train at Shoreham-by-Sea on various day trips to London with the flap, flap, flap, flap, flapflap, flap sound. Then on the hour, flapflapflapflapflap. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.