• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuclear Crash Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
According to Greenpeace, the engine itself was unbolted so that it would "roll over" the container.

You couldn't make this stuff up. :lol:

fsmr

According to Greenpeace, the engine itself was unbolted so that it would "roll over" the container.

You couldn't make this stuff up. :lol:

Yeh the driver was removed as well to make it lighter as well:roll:
Bet they didnt remove all the asbestos from the loco and mk1s before they spread it all over the countryside
In todays climate they would have had a 30,000 feet air exclusion as well as the VIPS and press being in the next County:lol:

Unfortunately, i missed it all as we were away in France at the time
I know the line well though, in the early 80s before the crash it was supposedly out of use and the boss asked me to run a french drain down the field into the cess on the side of the old line at Hickling
Imagine the shock as this class 31 on bogie test turned up and stopped:oops:
Whos in charge here says the driver, er him says this spotty youth driving the JCB digger as I pointed to the boss heading sheepishly back to the landy

" get orf my railway"

Not before the driver had given me a run down on the cab controls of the 31 though:lol:

Told you it was still working says me to the boss later over a very quiet lunch break :roll:

LE Greys

Established Member
The conspiracy theorists claimed it did leak and was strategically positioned in such a way to withstand such force. Another was that the loco had been weakeaned to lessen the impact. It used to be on display at NRM, I remember seeing it as a child.

From what I heard, they also dropped the thing 40 ft onto a steel plate.

Completely intact.

<EDIT> The flask was dropped, not the loco. :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
I'll just leave this here:

[youtube]e9QBsTXbRhk[youtube]

OK, maybe the drop wasn't 40 ft and there was some damage, but still pretty impressive. The rear coach looked survivable as well, not that I'm any sort of judge. I remember using the crash to calculate impact forces in GCSE Physics, along with a lot of other standard methods like Jim Irwin's hammer and feather.

Domeyhead

It's funny how Greenpeace have never worry about the reflection from somebody's solar panel temporarily blinding a bus driver who careered into the back of a petrol tanker which drrove into a line of queueing cars pushing one of them into the path of a second tanker..........
Clearly it cannot be proved that this will never happen therefore there is a risk, therefore solar panels must be banned until more research is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.