• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuclear Waste Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
It gets worse-there are protesters outside Olympia handing out leaflets, trying to take action against DRS. No wonder they operate mainly in the night!
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
The truth behind the stickers-it's Greenpeace-not the HM Government. They are trying to get people to sign petitions to stop the government from expanding nuclear activity. They reckon it shouldn't be transported, just stored.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Hmm. Of course the scaremongerers will make loads out of next weeks anniversery, however dreadful those events were, BNFL's safety standards are much higher!

Jonno2055

OK, so if it wont be transported we should just bury it on the spot. Fantastic if you cities name is London, or perhaps Burnham/ Wesern super mare. Just doing that would be an even worse thing to do.

I'll stop ranting now but anyway I don't like nuclear power, it is dangerous and what with the Half life of these materials being 500 years, but that isn't the way to do it.

ikar

Jonno2055 said:
OK, so if it wont be transported we should just bury it on the spot. Fantastic if you cities name is London, or perhaps Burnham/ Wesern super mare. Just doing that would be an even worse thing to do.

I'll stop ranting now but anyway I don't like nuclear power, it is dangerous and what with the Half life of these materials being 500 years, but that isn't the way to do it.

Nuclear Power stations are 100 times enviromental better than the Coal things, of course if you know how to handle a one...

RJ

Established Member
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of nuclear power either, I'm sure DRS would find other uses for their locos. But I'm not agreeing with them yet, as their plan seems to be rather patchy. They think that the flasks go through Grove Park. It's via Bromley South.

devon_metro

Established Member
Nucleur is only really dangerous when not used properly, I am sure DRS handle their Nucleur Waste properly and safety.

Jonno2055

I mean at the actual power station though, hopefully we are not as 'careless' as what happened at Chernobyl.

richa2002

Established Member
Give those Greenpeace fools a good talking to. Nuclear is the only way forward. Wind is totally unenomical and a blot on the landscape. Sorry for not backing up my opinions but I don't really want to write an essay :razz:

Rail is the safest way of transport. Which was proved when that lorry leaked radiation recently. Get that video of the peak smashing into a wall with a nuclear flask, that'll soon shut them up.

Tom B

Established Member
To those people who don't beleive in nuclear power how else do you expect power to be generated? WIND FARMS CAN'T DO IT! Wind is too dilute a source of energy. It can generate some, yes, but it's not the answer to everything.

As for safety, nuclear power is very safe. UK nuclear plants are not run the way that Chernobyl is/was. The reactor designs are very different - if you look into the accident there were flaws in the RBMK-1000 reactor used at Chernobyl which contributed to its explosion. Only about four are still in use and these are in Soviet states and are to be closed down soon. Modern / western reactors are much safer (as are modern eastern european designs, as I'm sure Ikar will testify). Barrow will not turn in to Prypiat. Yes there is a half-life of thousands of years on some of this stuff but it can be adequetely and safely stored whilst research goes on to finding something to do with it.

And I note that they're complaining abuot it going through London - stuff the rest of us...

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
It gets worse-there are protesters outside Olympia handing out leaflets, trying to take action against DRS. No wonder they operate mainly in the night!
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
The truth behind the stickers-it's Greenpeace-not the HM Government. They are trying to get people to sign petitions to stop the government from expanding nuclear activity. They reckon it shouldn't be transported, just stored.
right, i'm going to let mike balaam (head of west london line group) know about those nuclear stickers

Craig

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Nucleur is only really dangerous when not used properly, I am sure DRS handle their Nucleur Waste properly and safety.
AFAIK, DRS don't handle the waste as such. They just collect the flasks and transport them where ever they need to go.

Richard Armstrong said:
Get that video of the peak smashing into a wall with a nuclear flask
http://www.6lda28.com/od1a.htm

RJ

Established Member
I told them about the peak incident. Then they went on about derailing. I noticed that on their table they had a picture of a 20 with one flask. It's gonna kill them tomorrow to see a 37+20 with FOUR flasks. They wanted to get the times off me but I didn't tell them. I picked up some of their leaflets which have details of the routes the flasks run over.

Dennis

Established Member
Wonder if the protestors are concerned about smoke detectors - many of which contain radioactive americium 241? Will they boycott B&Q?

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Chaps,

The problem with nuclear power is not the operation of the power stations but their decommissioning. While the spent fuel can be safely transported and reprocessed, power stations like Sellafield will require to be totally encased in concrete for centuries. This means expensive monitoring and upkeep that will be our legacy for generations to come. While I'm mature enough to understand that we must provide for our future energy needs in the face of dwindling fossil fuel reserves, I'm not so naive as to believe that we should be rushing headlong into the nuclear option without firm commitments from Government and the energy industry that, come what may, they will ensure that the safety and dilligence of decommissioning will be carried out to the standards required rather than doing something on the cheap.

But then, that's a little off-topic...

One of the great things about democracy is that people can demonstrate about whatever they like, whether it meets our own agendas or not. That's something worth preserving, because you never know when you might want to do the same sometime about something you care deeply about. That protestors generally only show one side of the issue is the general nature of politics and no different to what the Government, industry and, to an extent, the media do. They want you to believe/buy/vote for something, so of course they are going to talk it up.

one TN

Sprog

Established Member
I think its aload of ********.

They have no right to run around defacing property, such as:

NukeProtestersSign.jpg

at Bristol Temple Meads last Sunday............:mad:

Its just senseless scaremongering........................:roll: :roll:

ikar

joea1 said:
It's gonna kill them tomorrow to see a 37+20 with FOUR flasks. They wanted to get the times off me but I didn't tell them.

What would have happened if they saw 6K73 Sellafield-Crewe yesterday. 37 607+20 313 with 10 FNA's.

Sturdjos

Sprog said:
I think its aload of ********.

They have no right to run around defacing property, such as:

NukeProtestersSign.jpg

at Bristol Temple Meads last Sunday............:mad:

Its just senseless scaremongering........................:roll: :roll:

Agreed. There are smaller versions of that sticker that I saw on a class 315 the other day, and wondered what the heck it was doing there (Liverpool Street > Shenfield route)

ikar

Sturdjos said:
Agreed. There are smaller versions of that sticker that I saw on a class 315 the other day, and wondered what the heck it was doing there (Liverpool Street > Shenfield route)

If they stick those things one trains than every route the train is booked to operate will be: NUCLEAR WASTE route... Idiots.

Julian G

Established Member
ikar said:
If they stick those things one trains than every route the train is booked to operate will be: NUCLEAR WASTE route... Idiots.
the stickers have been removed from Kensington Olympia

Nick W

Established Member
Aha that would explain why the One's newly refurbished Mk3 set has those stickers all over it.

I am a fan of nuclear power, and would only like to see it ridded when all the coal oil and gas power plants have been replaced already.

jonb

Established Member
They are also planting those stickers on the 360's which cover the GE Mainline to Chelmsford/Colchester/Ipswich and the 321's which also use the Southend and Southminster lines.

Julian G

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
Rip them off!
Good Idea!
If I see them at Kensington Olympia or West Brompton ever again, I'M SO GOING TO RIP THEM OFF!!!!!!!

metrocammel

These Greenpeace people are sad. Do they want us to live in a world without any electricity? Obviously so... OK, nuclear isnt the "safest" form of energy, but running normally it is as "eco-freindly" as wind or HEP (or any other renewable sh*t) and it doesn't give off any gaseous waste, and the solid waste is kept sealed (and there is only a small amount of that). Eventually coal / oil / gas will run out, and to Freightliner HH and EWS's dismay, the coal PS's will slowly begin to close, High Marnham is an example that has already been mothballed. Britain cannot sustain the amount of power it's population uses with renewable sources. This is why nuclear is needed. The current fission reactions that happen in the Nuclear PS's are efficient at producing a hell of a lot of energy (thus lots of electricity), however it can be dangerous if things were to go wrong, however Fusion is the future, this is the way the sun's reactions occur, however at the moment we cannot carry out fusion reactions at condidtions that dont take more energy to create than is given out.
Anyway... My advice is also to rip these stickers down... or otherwise deface them by writing pro-nuclear on rail things.... I bet the greenpeace idiots have a spasm when they see a load 4 flask train with a tractor clagging thick black (good for the environment!!!lol) smoke...!

JAMES.

Tom B

Established Member
Coal wouldn't have run out quite so soon if maggie hadn't closed all the pits...

TheSlash

Established Member
Sprog, why are they sticking the stickets at BTM? Do they have nuclear stuff at Plymouth Dockyard or something?
I've previously lived a happy ignorance of nuclear flask trains but reading this, i have to ask about them really.
I take it all the photos i have seen of 2 locos and 1 or 2 flask wagons mean the contents of the wagon are of no real use to terrorists?
I thought the stuff that terrorists might like always had a coach carrying armed soldiers or similar people, aswell as them riding on the locos?
I thought that at most there was 3 or 4 nuclear flask trains a day?

Met Driver

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Sprog, why are they sticking the stickets at BTM? Do they have nuclear stuff at Plymouth Dockyard or something?

There's a nuclear flask terminal at Bridgwater, so I imagine any stuff destined for the place must go through Bristol??

MacRat

Dennis said:
Wonder if the protestors are concerned about smoke detectors - many of which contain radioactive americium 241? Will they boycott B&Q?
Damn good point.

Amost everyone who owns a smoke detector doesn't know how the air is ionised in them - nor do they care! It's far easier to protest about a big sugar lump being transported by one of the safest methods available.

Sprog

Established Member
Seth said:
There's a nuclear flask terminal at Bridgwater, so I imagine any stuff destined for the place must go through Bristol??

Indeed!

There is a Weekly flask working that goes from Crewe to Bridgewater and return, usually on a Thursday!

It is routed via Bristol Temple Meads, and usually takes the through road through the 'Trainshed'.

Sometimes it is even held at the signal outside Bristol Panel, awaiting a path north via Bristol Parkway.

Theres an offhand deal with Bristol panel that if the DRS driver gets a green through Temple Meads, he will open the locos up and put on a show for the Panel, which overlooks it!!!

Bloody NEDS! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.