• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuneaton Station Coffee Shop closing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaigee

The popular enthusiast friendly Coffee Shop on platform 1 (not to be confused with the newer LM franchised "Giardino" also on platform 1) is to close in just over a week. :cry:

LM will not allow the retiring leaseholder to pass the lease on for use as a cafe, only for pure retail, i.e. minimarket etc.. This is despite him having at least two people who wish to take over and continue operating as now.

LM obviously want any business to go to their outlet, which is deserted most of the time.

LM will now prevent a thriving business to be passed on to another entrepeneur and putting three to four more people out of work.

Time to write to LM and our MP I think!

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/News...on-coffee-shop-closes-down-20130501103117.htm

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
As the premises are let on a non-transferable lease the leaseholder has no right to transfer the lease and upon surrender it returns to LM. This is the standard form of lease for the leasing of space at railway stations.

jaigee

As the premises are let on a non-transferable lease the leaseholder has no right to transfer the lease and upon surrender it returns to LM. This is the standard form of lease for the leasing of space at railway stations.

Even if that is the case, the crux of the matter is that LM do not want a cafe at the premises. I understand perfectly why they do not want this, but it is a loss of a well liked and well used facility that I bemoan, especially when there are potential leaseholders wanting to continue it in its present state.

OwlMan

Established Member
Even if that is the case, the crux of the matter is that LM do not want a cafe at the premises. I understand perfectly why they do not want this, but it is a loss of a well liked and well used facility that I bemoan, especially when there are potential leaseholders wanting to continue it in its present state.

There may well be, but it is upto LM to do what they want with the premises once the lease is surrenderred, whether the existing lease holder agrees or not.
I take it you have no source for your story apart from the current leaseholder. I understand that LM have yet to make a decesion about the premises (and will not until the lease is surrenderred.)

dk1

Veteran Member
LM don't appear to value station facilities much, do they?

And yet they took at-seat catering off the Crewe to Euston run (wrongly in my opinion) for the very reason that passengers prefer to buy at stations before boarding :rolleyes:

MKB

Just seem this in the local Nuneaton paper, and I'm appalled that LM is not re-leasing to someone else prepared to run this going concern. If they think I'll be buying my cups of tea from their dreadful shop next door, they can think again.

LM proves time and time again it cares not one jot for the passenger, only its shareholders. But that, of course, is exactly how the government likes its franchisees to behave. Otherwise LM would have been stripped of it last year when they failed to run their a lot of their trains.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just seem this in the local Nuneaton paper, and I'm appalled that LM is not re-leasing to someone else prepared to run this going concern. If they think I'll be buying my cups of tea from their dreadful shop next door, they can think again.

LM proves time and time again it cares not one jot for the passenger, only its shareholders. But that, of course, is exactly how the government likes its franchisees to behave. Otherwise LM would have been stripped of it last year when they failed to run their a lot of their trains.

I assume you understand the concept of leasehold property.

LM are the head lessee, once the sub lease expires they can do what they want with the unit.

Perhaps they simply want to rent the unit at a market rental rate as of today rather than as of the last lease review period or the commencement of the lease if no reviews took place. I wonder if any real negotiations have taken place regarding an extension of the lease, a new lease or a new rent level. Perhaps the existing rent is very low and people aren't prepared to pay a true market rate?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
LM obviously want any business to go to their outlet, which is deserted most of the time.

Because it is pretty rubbish in my experience.

Drinks and snacks are more expensive than the coffee shop. They wanted 95p for a Kinder Bueno when I was there almost a year ago I think and the guy behind the counter didn't even know what Earl Grey was until I pointed out the box behind him. :(

Needless to say I never bought anything from there again.

jaigee

I assume you understand the concept of leasehold property.

LM are the head lessee, once the sub lease expires they can do what they want with the unit.

Perhaps they simply want to rent the unit at a market rental rate as of today rather than as of the last lease review period or the commencement of the lease if no reviews took place. I wonder if any real negotiations have taken place regarding an extension of the lease, a new lease or a new rent level. Perhaps the existing rent is very low and people aren't prepared to pay a true market rate?

We can all guess at what the relevant facts are and hopefully they will be emerge shortly, but the bottom line is that the Cafe is closing, and that is the sad thing about it all.:cry:

Saltleyman

I suppose that this is the obvious consequence of one thing the stupid,stupid,idea of the Tory Government of Major to "privatise" the Railway to create "competition" achieves ? You replace BR with LM and the private "minnow" is shackled and put out of buisness,so much for Tory Dogma !!
I as a Tax payer am still paying more for a "privatised" railway than I would for a "nationalised" one ! Just shows how "Fickle" the average voter is !

OwlMan

Established Member
I suppose that this is the obvious consequence of one thing the stupid,stupid,idea of the Tory Government of Major to "privatise" the Railway to create "competition" achieves ? You replace BR with LM and the private "minnow" is shackled and put out of buisness,so much for Tory Dogma !!
I as a Tax payer am still paying more for a "privatised" railway than I would for a "nationalised" one ! Just shows how "Fickle" the average voter is !

Who has been put out of business? The cafe owner decided to retire - that is not being put of business

jaigee

Who has been put out of business? The cafe owner decided to retire - that is not being put of business

You could argue that the potential leaseholder and the present staff are being put out of business. :cry:

OwlMan

Established Member
You could argue that the potential leaseholder and the present staff are being put out of business. :cry:

But it is a non-transferable lease - there is no potential leaseholder unless they have been discussing terms for a new lease with LM.
Do you know whether anyone has been in touch with LM about a new lease?
The current employees are losing their jobs because the owner is retiring and has to surrender the lease.

jaigee

But it is a non-transferable lease - there is no potential leaseholder unless they have been discussing terms for a new lease with LM.
Do you know whether anyone has been in touch with LM about a new lease?
The current employees are losing their jobs because the owner is retiring and has to surrender the lease.

According to the present leaseholder, he has two people who want to aquire the lease from LM and continue running it as a cafe with a seamless change-over at the end of June, when the present lease expires.

However, LM have said they will not do this as they do not want the premises as a cafe. He then decided to finish early, surrendering the lease, hence the auction on the 19th of May.

LM's account is slightly vague and non-commital, so I would imagine the facts probaly lie somewhwere in the middle.

Still a shame though.

OwlMan

Established Member
According to the present leaseholder, he has two people who want to aquire the lease from LM and continue running it as a cafe with a seamless change-over at the end of June, when the present lease expires.

However, LM have said they will not do this as they do not want the premises as a cafe. He then decided to finish early, surrendering the lease, hence the auction on the 19th of May.

LM's account is slightly vague and non-commital, so I would imagine the facts probaly lie somewhwere in the middle.

Still a shame though.

Have you any evidence of LM saying they do not want a cafe.

I understand from contacts at LM they have no problems with the premises being a cafe but they need a new lease based on current market terms.
The present proprietor wanted the lease to be transfered on its present terms (in other words they wanted to pay the low rent in the current agreement not the current market rent)

jaigee

Have you any evidence of LM saying they do not want a cafe.

I understand from contacts at LM they have no problems with the premises being a cafe but they need a new lease based on current market terms.
The present proprietor wanted the lease to be transfered on its present terms (in other words they wanted to pay the low rent in the current agreement not the current market rent)

All I have is what I was told by the leaseholder. What is needed is an official statement from LM as at the moment all our conjecture is based on what we have heard, whether it be the leaseholder or your contacts in LM.

I believe other people have written to the MP so perhaps something might be forthcoming considering it made the local press, and he is not one to miss the chance of some coverage.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.