• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuneaton to Leamington - direct from May 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
It was in the timetable bid for the through service, they will probably be in Realtime trains in the next few weeks after the offer responses are done. Dec 19 for the Cov bay and 2tph apparently.

So 2 units operating a joined up Nun - Leam service providing a train every hour like at present?

Am I the only one who can see this service being delayed at Coventry for late running expresses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nope, but you may find the shuttle isn't and the mainline gets hit as it has a higher likelihood of breaking the Leamington branch if it late.

pt_mad

Established Member
It was in the timetable bid for the through service, they will probably be in Realtime trains in the next few weeks after the offer responses are done. Dec 19 for the Cov bay and 2tph apparently.

Can they be published in the RTT timetable before ORR approval? Or is it fairly certain approval will be given?

pt_mad

Established Member
Why do the ORR need to approve it? They are just combining two services.

Don't know if they do I just took it from the linked article that an application had been made to the ORR so would need aporoval?

Will it be the same path as looks like service from Nuneaton is booked arr at Coventry xx36 and Leamington departs xx36 also. So no station stop time at Coventry with current path?

Old Hill Bank

This is what information I have been given:-
Mon - Sat : Hourly service - Leamington Spa dep xx02, Nuneaton arr xx38 - Nuneaton dep xx16 Leamington Spa arr xx53 (subject to some minor adjustments during the day). This would mean 2 x 172/0 required for the service.

Sunday : Split service - Hourly service - Leamington Spa dep xx18, Coventry arr xx39 - Coventry dep xx47, Leamington Spa arr xx04 (timed for Class 153) - Coventry dep xx39, Nuneaton arr xx00 - Nuneaton dep xx13, Coventry arr xx33 (timed for Class 172).

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
This is what information I have been given:-
Mon - Sat : Hourly service - Leamington Spa dep xx02, Nuneaton arr xx38 - Nuneaton dep xx16 Leamington Spa arr xx53 (subject to some minor adjustments during the day). This would mean 2 x 172/0 required for the service.

Sunday : Split service - Hourly service - Leamington Spa dep xx18, Coventry arr xx39 - Coventry dep xx47, Leamington Spa arr xx04 (timed for Class 153) - Coventry dep xx39, Nuneaton arr xx00 - Nuneaton dep xx13, Coventry arr xx33 (timed for Class 172).

Is that official information?

How will it make a path off Coventry to Leamington departing Coventry at xx36 if its leaving Nuneaton two minutes later than appears to be currently booked? Presumably it'd arrive at Coventry at xx38 but the path is to leave there for Leamington at xx36?

Jurg

Is that official information?

How will it make a path off Coventry to Leamington departing Coventry at xx36 if its leaving Nuneaton two minutes later than appears to be currently booked? Presumably it'd arrive at Coventry at xx38 but the path is to leave there for Leamington at xx36?
My reading of this is that it is pathed for a 172, which is faster than the current path. Hence needing the rolling stock before the new timetable can be implemented.

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
My reading of this is that it is pathed for a 172, which is faster than the current path. Hence needing the rolling stock before the new timetable can be implemented.

Nuneaton to Coventry in 18 minutes with 3 stops en route it's gonna have to be some acceleration... An 18 percent improvement in journey time if that poster's information is correct.

But why xx16 off Nuneaton when the current timing is xx14 and that would leave some viable recovery time had they still departed at xx14?

Last edited:

HLE

Established Member
The 153 does it in 20 minutes comfortably. Braking doesn’t come into it really as the linespeed is 45mph but it should shave a minute or two off on the acceleration.

geoffk

Established Member
So 2 units operating a joined up Nun - Leam service providing a train every hour like at present? Am I the only one who can see this service being delayed at Coventry for late running expresses?
Particularly as some of them are coming from Glasgow/Edinburgh.

geoffk

Established Member
You have to realise that the government micro manages the railways more than they ever did in BR days.
Exactly. That's the point I keep making to those who say that a return to BR would mean "the Government running the railways again"!

HLE

Established Member
Particularly as some of them are coming from Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Indeed. Can’t see VT being happy at at a late running express being held outside Coventry to let the Nuneaton unit cross the mainline.

At the minute, almost all the regular services on the branch arrive RT.
Punctuality only takes a hit when on the rare occasion the unit fails and a couple of trips are lost.

It won’t be as good as it is now. I’ll bet a small fortune that peak time services run late when it’s joined up.

HLE

Established Member
Two additional workings to Nuneaton.... be interesting to see the diagram for that if it’s later services than 21.42 at present.

Wonder if Leamington train crew will start signing the route.....more traincrew with knowledge will be needed that’s for sure.

Jurg

Two additional workings to Nuneaton.... be interesting to see the diagram for that if it’s later services than 21.42 at present.
I'd imagine it's partly filling in gaps in the current timetable. IE there's currently no departure from Nuneaton at 09:xx Mon-Fri, at 07:xx or 20:xx Saturday. There's no departure from Coventry at 19:xx Saturday. So a more regular daytime service, plus later last services.

Jurg

To expand on the above (assuming the timings in Old Bank Hill's post are accurate), the information suggests to me that last services departing Nuneaton would be around 23:16 Mon-Fri and 22:16 Sat. Last services arriving at Nuneaton around 23:38 Mon-Fri, 22:38 Sat.

HLE

Established Member
I'd imagine it's partly filling in gaps in the current timetable. IE there's currently no departure from Nuneaton at 09:xx Mon-Fri, at 07:xx or 20:xx Saturday. There's no departure from Coventry at 19:xx Saturday. So a more regular daytime service, plus later last services.

I doubt the first two as the gaps are for PNB’s. Unless they change the diagrams around.

Later services are a must - farcical that you can catch a train to Kenilworth/Leamington an hour after the Nuneaton services have finished.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why do the ORR need to approve it? They are just combining two services.
Looks like it is just a minor side issue in the application for the entire Dec 2018 timetable update, now that the form P has been linked to (in post #75).

Jurg

I doubt the first two as the gaps are for PNB’s. Unless they change the diagrams around.
The timings above suggest a gap of about 38 minutes each hour between arriving in Nuneaton and departing from Nuneaton. Is that not long enough?

HLE

Established Member
Yes it’s long enough. But this is the railway....still think it’ll be one or two later trips.

Tony Rogers

Has anyone heard anymore if or when there will be a direct train operating from Nuneaton to Leamington?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Nuneaton-bound path has shifted quite significantly, so provides a good connection each way to/from the Stansted XC service for passengers bound for Coventry and Leamington from beyond Leicester. Pretty good!

I'd say pretty poor - that's an outrageously bitty timetable. What is the reason for it not even being close to clockface yet being approximately hourly?

The present timetable is a little bizarre, having two patterns, xx26 until 0926 then xx04 from 1104. It's still better than that mess, though.

HLE

Established Member
The Nuneaton-bound path has shifted quite significantly, so provides a good connection each way to/from the Stansted XC service for passengers bound for Coventry and Leamington from beyond Leicester. Pretty good!

Actually for the commuters from Leicester it's a proper kick in the teeth. In the morning, as it stands you can leave Leicester at 7:10 and be in Coventry for 8.

All hell will let loose in the press and with the passengers when they find out they will have to leave Leicester at 6:20 to be in Coventry before 8!

I'll make one prediction - that 8:15 service to Leamington will be rammed from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.