• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEA - Two New Passing Loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipW

Within the recent announcement of new carriages for NXEA there was a statement that two passings loops were to be reconstructed.

One is at Beccles on the Ipswich to Lowestoft line.

Does anyone know the other is to be ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Within the recent announcement of new carriages for NXEA there was a statement that two passings loops were to be reconstructed.

One is at Beccles on the Ipswich to Lowestoft line.

Does anyone know the other is to be ?

There was talk of there being a passing loop at Oulton Broad South. Possibly the other "passing loops" might be the proposed double tracking at East Suffolk junction?

PhilipW

As the Beccles passing loop in effect halves the single line section from Oulton Broad junction to Halesworth, I suspect that the other planned loop is somewhere else in the region.

I am aware that there is a plan to double about 4 miles of track between Trimley and Levington; this has already been announced and is being paid for by Felixstowe docks. So I don't think this will be the other mentioned loop.

I had not heard of any plans to alter East Suffolk junction. It indeed may be that, except that it cannot really be described as a "passing loop".

GB

Established Member
There are plans to remodel Ipswich yard prior to the doubling of the single line bewtween Levington and the Trimley/PoF, this may well include East sufflok junction where it converges into a single line, but again, this woulnt actually be classed as a passing loop.

All or most freight trains are supposed to be going via the ECML by 2012 to avoid congestion in London, so I suspect the other loop will be somewhere North of Ipswich....but who knows?

Established Member
There are plans to remodel Ipswich yard prior to the doubling of the single line bewtween Levington and the Trimley/PoF, this may well include East sufflok junction where it converges into a single line, but again, this woulnt actually be classed as a passing loop.

All or most freight trains are supposed to be going via the ECML by 2012 to avoid congestion in London, so I suspect the other loop will be somewhere North of Ipswich....but who knows?

Why the ECML? Also, what happens about freight from the south?

thefab444

Established Member
Because that's the other way to get to the North-West... :roll:

What little freight there is from the south will remain routed via the WCML I should imagine, since there are no Wentloog/Southampton - Ripple Lane/Tilbury/Felixstowe flows anymore, it's not much of a problem.

Established Member
Because that's the other way to get to the North-West... :roll:

What little freight there is from the south will remain routed via the WCML I should imagine, since there are no Wentloog/Southampton - Ripple Lane/Tilbury/Felixstowe flows anymore, it's not much of a problem.

I guess so - They can't predict it will all go via the ECML anyway with the recession going on.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I think what they are attempting to do is to send more freight cross-country from Felixstowe by way of Ely and the ECML rather than running it up the GEML, through Stratford and onto the NLL to pick up the WCML northbound. Stratford is only going to get busier and needs some relief, but the alternatives are currently very limited because I don't believe that the other potential routes have the necessary clearances to meet the W10 loading gauge.

Not sure what is going to happen after it gets to Peterbother, but then I'm no expert on the Midlands.

O L Leigh

GB

Established Member
I think what they are attempting to do is to send more freight cross-country from Felixstowe by way of Ely and the ECML rather than running it up the GEML, through Stratford and onto the NLL to pick up the WCML northbound. Stratford is only going to get busier and needs some relief, but the alternatives are currently very limited because I don't believe that the other potential routes have the necessary clearances to meet the W10 loading gauge.

Not sure what is going to happen after it gets to Peterbother, but then I'm no expert on the Midlands.

O L Leigh

That is right, with the Olympics and Crossrail demanding capcity, it would be extremely tight on the GEML...like it isnt already;)

Im told that most of the ECML (and the line from Ipswich - P'borough) is mostly cleared for W10 as far as freight is concerened, however the long signalling sections on the bury line and the single line at Soham I can see being an issue unless they upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.