• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEC First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

This is my first posting, apologies if this is in the wrong section, still learning...

I've just booked myself a First Advance (or whatever it is called) from Edinburgh to Darlington and I'm just interested to learn what First Class is like on the NXEC trains.

I usually travel First on the Transpennine Express and Virgin services between Edinburgh and Lockerbie and have come to love the extra space and practically empty carriages.

Do the National Express trains have power outlets to go along with the free WiFi or should I pack an extra battery for my notebook?

Also, I understand that advance ticket holders can't use the lounges, is this correct? This is the first for me travelling with an Advance first ticket. I'm usually an on the day walk up traveller.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Do the National Express trains have power outlets to go along with the free WiFi or should I pack an extra battery for my notebook?

Yes.

Also, I understand that advance ticket holders can't use the lounges, is this correct? This is the first for me travelling with an Advance first ticket. I'm usually an on the day walk up traveller.

Correct.

If I'm honest, NXEC first class is usually never worth it, unless really going long distance. As you're going South to Darlington, it will get busier and busier as you go along. If you were ever to go to York, it's packed to the rafters from there.

You don't get free meals like Virgin, or a snackbox like TPE. You get free drinks to an extent, and a snack like a pack of pretzels or a ginger snap biscuit. And the goddamn china cups and saucers continually rattling on the tables!

If I were to have the choice, I'd not bother personally with 1st. But see what you think! :)

Jordy

Established Member
There are plug in points on all NXEC trains :)

You are correct in that holders of first class advance tickets are not allowed to use the first class lounge.

Welcome to the forums!

Cheers

Jordy

rosscbrown

Cool, I tend to take the 1st class tickets as a way to get a seat without needing a reservation. Ah the joys of travelling in a country with very few people.

Last time I made a reservation in person I asked for a forward facing table seat with window and power. In return I got a rear facing airline site with no window (pillar) and no power! Just my luck.

As for food on the Virgin services. I should be so lucky. They've not fed me yet, that said I've not went any real distance. Going to London soon, fingers crossed for some food.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the Edinburgh > Darlington leg of my journey to Middlesbrough.

djw1981

Established Member
I would however rate NXEC FC as more worth it than the TPE or VXC alternatives. With VWC the offering North of Preston is certainly less value than NXEC (IMO). YMMV

rail-britain

Established Member
As for food on the Virgin services. I should be so lucky. They've not fed me yet, that said I've not went any real distance. Going to London soon, fingers crossed for some food
Depending on when you travelled...
in the past with Virgin Cross Country you may have had to have visited the shop but not been aware of that
with Virgin West Coast at-seat service on all London services, Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays
on Birmingham services the at-seat service appears to be erratic at the moment, but as I undertstand it sets are being remarshalled so that the shop is next to First Class to make at-seat and service easier for First Class passengers

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is one HST set running about on NXEC that doesnt have sockets but you would be very unlucky to get that one. I personally don't rate NXEC first class, and it seems to have got worse recently. Last time all I was offered was orange juice and a pack of pretzels. Apparently it was the 'wrong time of day' for biscuits and the cakes have been axed! As have those lovely cookies from the buffet. I find NXEC's offering pretty dull thesedays actually.

andylloyd

There is one HST set running about on NXEC that doesnt have sockets but you would be very unlucky to get that one. I personally don't rate NXEC first class, and it seems to have got worse recently. Last time all I was offered was orange juice and a pack of pretzels. Apparently it was the 'wrong time of day' for biscuits and the cakes have been axed! As have those lovely cookies from the buffet. I find NXEC's offering pretty dull thesedays actually.
Sods law dictates that that will be on my 0855 ex Newcastle - Kings Cross via the Joint line, i'll need damn sockets for my laptop ;)

devon_metro

Established Member

Sounds a bit like FGW then who only offer biscuits and tea etc.

I recently booked some tickets on AXC services and was pleased to realise that I get a complimentary meal of hot food in both directions. :D

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yeah, like I said earlier I don't rate NXEC FC much. XCT, VT, TPE etc are better. I'd say the seats were comfier in fGW FC however. EMT aren't fabulous either, but they are comfy seats in both Meridians and HSTs.

Coradia

EMT aren't fabulous either, but they are comfy seats in both Meridians and HSTs.

Yeah, I think they can get away with it, since I have seen some really cheap FC deals (even for connecting trains) so you can still get value for money, with XC being pretty good too. I agree that others like NXEC which tend to be more expensive and you don't feel you get value for money (unless standard class is packed).

rosscbrown

I'm quite pleased actually. I'm only paying a little over £30 return from Edinburgh to Middlesbrough (changing at Darlington) . Turns out you get 16-24 Railcard on First Class Advance tickets - something I didn't know.

me123

Established Member
Just recently, some companies including Virgin and NXEC allow you to get the 16-25 discount on 1st Advance fares :D That's just been since the May "Simplification", however.

Coradia

£30 for a retunr is good, plus if that includes an integrated changing trains ticket thats even better. Possibly NXEC might have changed their structure. Last time I used them was during GNER, and seemed you could get better with VXC at the time, but considering the voyagers have only 1 FC coach (which was get easily full) and the NXEC trains have 2/3 complete ones, feel you get a much better experience. Having done that route in Mallard FC myself, it is definietely worth doing. Great experience as well as the coastal scenery at Berwick.

MCR247

Established Member
I was on FC on a voyager once and there was 4 of us. We booked a table seat in advance. We got on and the train was full in FC apart from our seats! We were happy but that was short lived because the table we booked was broken and someone had spilt something on one of the seats! so we took it in turns to stand!

Coradia

We were happy but that was short lived because the table we booked was broken and someone had spilt something on one of the seats! so we took it in turns to stand!

Ouch! That really does take the biscuit considering FC, was in a similar situation myself one time on an almost full train (well someone had taken my reserved seat and shoved aload'a stuff over the table so I sat in an airline avalible at the back) but did manage to get a seat so not all that bad they really do get issues with only having that one coach. Hopefully the introduction of te HSTs will make it a much more enjoyable experience on those popular journeys.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Not really an NXEC specific question, but what TOCs offer FC upgrades? I know EMT do. And if so, how much?

Ta muchly :)

rosscbrown

Last time I was on in Virgin FC there was only one other passenger 'up front' with me. The big reservations computer in the sky for one reason or another put us across a single table from each other!

me123

Established Member
It will do that. It assumes that there will be more bookings, so it will want to save the tables of 4 for groups or 3-4, and tables for 2 for groups of 2. Single passengers will therefore be grouped together to maximise the space left for groups.

On FSR, for example, the nearly empty 0941 GLQ-ABD had all 4 reservations at one table, and we all showed up. By the end of the first tunnel, two other passengers had moved and the person in front of me moved to the aisle seat.

I imagine that in this case most TMs would allow you to change seat, even though it is against the rules on Advance tickets. There will be a few who won't, but most probably would in this case. On NXEC, they are pretty strict and, as it is busy, will probably force you to sit in the correct seat. Passengers on the East Coast route, in my experience, are quite vocal about people sitting in "their" seat as well :lol:

P156KWJ

Established Member
Not really an NXEC specific question, but what TOCs offer FC upgrades? I know EMT do. And if so, how much?

Ta muchly :)

EMT is £6, well worth it! XC is available for either £10 or £20 IIRC, depending how far you're going. Bear in mind, this is only on weekends and public holidays.

djw1981

Established Member
My main beef with VT is having to go to the shop North of Preston (On Voyagers - not done Pendo FC) which is 3 coaches away. I know will be closer when sets are re-marshalled (anyone expecting TMS issues with this?) but even so.

me123

Established Member
You sound just like my Dad:

"How was your trip"
"Cr*p, I had to walk all the way to the buffet to get my free goody bag" :roll:

You of all people should understand the benefits of exercise ;)

djw1981

Established Member
I do... but fighting through 3 packed carriages puts me off going to the buffet for my free drink and goodies especially when I get there to be told, sorry it's just juice available......thus cursing myself for not buying coffee at the station, but if I had them I would have paid for what I could get free on board......

I just think if they offer at seat service, they should offer it to/from Glasgow/Carlisle, not just Preston. Ona Brum trip, you are 2/3 the way there before any staff appear. then because there is only one FC carriage, they come round about every 10 mins or so it seems. From anadypsia to polydypsia....

me123

Established Member
:lol: Yeah, it does seem strange. Glasgow-Preston's a long journey and a First Class service really is needed. But of couse that would mean having crew at Glasgow and Edinburgh. Maybe come VHF they'll have staff in Glasgow, but not in Edinburgh (unless they share the pool which I imagine would be the most likely option).

djw1981

Established Member
I thought they did have crew based in Glasgow - Train Managers and Shop Catering crews. Expanding this cannot be too difficult, can it?
These staff also do the EDB services, or certainly did when there was XC as well....used to see Virgin staff on the E-G 170's traveling Pass all the time.

me123

Established Member
Yes they do; but they don't seem to want to expand. As I say, come VHF, expansion will be necessary so I wonder if they'll hire some more catering staff for Birmingham runs too.

djw1981

Established Member
You say come VHF, but with that less than 4 weeks away (or 8 in reality) I would hope that recruitment and training were underway.

me123

Established Member
Good point; it's not far off. I'd imagine the staff would be completing/ed training by now then. But if you're doibling trains to Glasgow, you're going to need about twice as many trancrew up here, or am I thinking too obviously about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.