• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEC First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

djw1981

Established Member
Yes. depends on what layovers there were before...e.g. if you previously had 1h45 at Preston between services, but your break is only 30mins then you can work an earlier train and thus possibly work more trains in each shift. Changeover points may also change to have shorter time on each train and work more trains per shift.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djw1981

Established Member
Well AFAIK it was - talking about how Fc services depends upon appropriate staffing.

rosscbrown

1) What is VHF?

2) I agree, Virgin FC is miserable north of Preston. it always stuck me as being off having the Shop etc so far from FC when you have to fetch your own free stuff :(

rosscbrown

Service was disappointing. Good in terms of getting me there, bad in terms of Luxury. Dirty seats, rubbish free stuff. And an annoying tea lady!

rail-britain

Established Member
That's unsual for NXEC, First Class is normally clean and tidy
However, the coaches are starting to show ther age now, even with a mid-life refurb
I do agree though, the hosts can be over annoying, however compare that to VWC where more than tea is offered so makes up for it!

Tom B

Established Member
The staff can be variable - some are good, others sit in the first coach chatting and never bring the trolley around - or take it down once then don't bother with it for the rest of the trip.

I usually take a look at the prices when I'm booking - if I can get a FC ticket for not too much more, I'll go with that.

andylloyd

The journey down to KGX(0855 ex NCL 08/11/08) was faultless.
Made a change going via the joint line to the boring ECML.
The service was faultless too and as an added bonus had a mallard rake of HST coaches to so had my Laptop powered all the time ;)

Cheers

Coradia

I agree that it can be a mixed bag with NXEC. Depends which train you choose. Though their competitor, Hull Trains, are absolutely fantastic when it comes to FC. One of the best Ive ever had onboard.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree that it can be a mixed bag with NXEC. Depends which train you choose. Though their competitor, Hull Trains, are absolutely fantastic when it comes to FC. One of the best Ive ever had onboard.

I completely agree with this. Even on a short journey, Hull Trains will come round and offer you a free drink at least, which pretty much overs anything (tea/coffee, can of coke etc). When travelling from Edinburgh to Hull once, I got more between Doncaster and Hull on Hull Trains than I did between Edinburgh and Doncaster on NXEC!

andylloyd

I don't think I've ever had a problem with the power on GNER's pre-Mallard HST coaches.
I've had the odd problem where a coache's power sockets were not running.
I have to say now though the reliability has vastly improved.
I just wish the ex MML interior set would goto watbec for refurb as it has NO sockets whatso ever ;)

Lee_Again

I use 1st a lot on both Virgin and NXEC and I think that NXEC is far superior. The problem with Virgin is that the food in never enough. The breakfast is OK, though. You could never consider the evening offering a substantial meal. Where as on NXEC the option to purchase a proper dinner is most useful.

The Mk4's are not perfect but the seats are large and comfortable and rarely do not get a whole table to myself. The Pendo tables are nearly always made up leaving little space for the laptop etc. Oh, and the WiFi is great (certainly south of Newcastle); I tend to enjoy the view if travelling further north. You're lucky to get a phone signal on a Pendo (let alone a 3G service).

There are exceptions to this but generally I find the staff on NXEC far more attentive. On my last Virgin trip to Preston I was offered coffee once during the whole journey. Rarely do I not get a coffee on the short trip from London to Stevenage (not bad for a commute). On longer trips (Leeds, York, Newcastle) numerous visits are made.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I forgot to add on my previous post...

FGW are useless. This week I did Didcot to Paddington in 1st and had to seek out the trolley for my 'free' coffee.

For what it's worth, when I travel in Standard on FGW the seats are awful. I do Bristol and Cardiff quite often and if you miss the very few tables you have to sit in those horrible airline style seats. Surely the benefit of taking a train is that you don't have to sit in an airline seat. Can't imagine doing 5 hours to Cornwall.

Despite the fact that the service in 1st is rubbish and the seats in Standard are equally rubbish I must say that I love the new leather seats in 1st. Best since the middle coach 170's on MML.

rail-britain

Established Member
When you compare value for money though, both VT and NXEC offer drinks throughout
The main difference is that VT offer a range of light snacks at all times, served at-seat Monday to Friday
I do agree the breakfast is excellent, but the fares are higher to cover that
At least then with NXEC you have choice of having a basic 1st fare and you can then pay extra for the breakfast

I am surprised you were not served more than one drink south of Preston, service is usually every 30 minutes
I was offered tea or coffee before the train even left Glasgow Central once!

John @ home

Established Member
I am surprised you were not served more than one drink south of Preston, service is usually every 30 minutes.

My experience of Virgin First Class is that service tends to occur after each stop so I would not be surprised with only one offer of a drink on a non-stop Preston - Euston train.

John

rail-britain

Established Member
My experience of Virgin First Class is that service tends to occur after each stop so I would not be surprised with only one offer of a drink on a non-stop Preston - Euston train
I made a point of using one such service, and was offered snacks three times and drinks at least five times
After Preston there was then another service of snacks, before we passed Lancaster, with another offer of drinks after passing Penrith
There was one final service of snacks shortly after leaving Carlisle, with another round of drinks just before Carstairs

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I made a point of using one such service, and was offered snacks three times and drinks at least five times
After Preston there was then another service of snacks, before we passed Lancaster, with another offer of drinks after passing Penrith
There was one final service of snacks shortly after leaving Carlisle, with another round of drinks just before Carstairs

That's very similar to what i've been offered (or more specifically the frequency), and i've always been offered many more than one drink between Preston, and London Euston, including runs on the current 11:52 ex Preston, and the 10:29 ex Euston.

On my only ever journey with NXEC, which was in FC, between Motherwell and Haymarket, I was offered a glass of orange juice, and then they ****ed off with the trolley, never to be seen again..

I wasn't exactly expecting a 3-course meal, but at the same time, I would have liked a biscuit or something along those lines, to go with my drink.

I took the 20:05 out of Euston a few weeks ago, to Manchester Picc, and was pleasantly surprised by the very high level of service by the onboard team, although in heinsite, i was only surprised, because it was later in the evening, and didn't know if the staff would still bother to feed us.

I asked if i could "mix and match" 2 items from the FC menu, delibrately asking for "one wrap", incase the CSA thought i was asking for double the usual amount, and he arrived with two wraps (which are always very tasy, and filling, regardless of what type of filling it has, IMHO) , and also a gammon bloomer.. result ;)

(That kept me going, along with a number of packets of pretsels, and several bottles of drink from the trolley, for the 23:11 to Preston) :D

rail-britain

Established Member
If you are travelling between Scotland and London, then you can in effect have two selected items
Order the first one between Glasgow and Preston
You can then order another one between Preston and London
I caught on to this on my second trip!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
If you are travelling between Scotland and London, then you can in effect have two selected items
Order the first one between Glasgow and Preston
You can then order another one between Preston and London
I caught on to this on my second trip!

I've always known this, but i've once had two lots of food from the trolley within 30 minutes of each other, between Euston and Crewe, and then another lot between Lancaster and Carlisle :D

Lee_Again

Some interesting comments. Unfortunately it appears that the very worst thing is happening, inconsistant levels of service. My post proberly seemed like a rant when in fact both companies are not that bad. Travel 1st on the continent and you may be going 199mph but you wont be getting much in the way of freebies.

I guess it comes down to the food (NXEC purchase meals) or no food (Virgin micro dinner) debate. I would generally go for the food as the reason for taking the train is that when I'm home I don't need to have/cook dinner (45 mins saved).

So for now I still go for NXEC. However, WiFi on a Pendo and the difference may be far closer.

Last edited:

rosscbrown

However, WiFi on a Pendo and the difference may be far closer.

When are they rolling out WiFi on Virgin/West Coast Trains? I know they are doing just I have no idea when.

I can't wait - mobile phone coverage seems to be somewhat unreliable on board...

Lee_Again

Not sure about Virgin WiFi. Like everyone else I have 'heard' they're going to. I don't really know how difficult or expensive it is to do. They've got those new coaches coming in a couple of years so that would seem like the ideal time. But then that is also very close to the end of the franchise which is normally reason enough not do it.

I do about 25 flights a year to Scotland (GLA,EDI) and all of these would be replace if Virgin or NXEC could get me there before 10.00. 9.45 arrival at the latest. In 4 hours I could have breakfast, catch up on emails and sleep for an hour or two. So much better than flying.

Going off topic but COME ON NXEC, VIRGIN. GET THOSE EARLY TRAINS ARRANGED. (I'm going to start a thread on this)

I should say that I love the sleepers but they better suited to Leisure than Business.

me123

Established Member
They are arranging Southbound trains, but no northbound ones, for the new timetable. Their thinking must be that more people want to go to London than Glasgow. Personally I think that Glasgow's the lesser of two evils :lol:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I do about 25 flights a year to Scotland (GLA,EDI) and all of these would be replace if Virgin or NXEC could get me there before 10.00. 9.45 arrival at the latest. In 4 hours I could have breakfast, catch up on emails and sleep for an hour or two. So much better than flying.

Going off topic but COME ON NXEC, VIRGIN. GET THOSE EARLY TRAINS ARRANGED. (I'm going to start a thread on this)

The 04:25 Glasgow Central to London Euston, will get you into Euston at 09:09, from Monday December 15th.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Does anyone have any VHF timetable Pendolino diagrams, so I can see where sets are being planned to run, and more specifically, the booked turn-around times?

Status
Not open for further replies.