• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEC & GC Updates/News

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynn80

Established Member
Here are some updates on various issues to do with NXEC & GC gathered from senior members of the management of both companies.

NXEC (information gathered from the Operations Director)

• Soon to be externally recruiting guards for SLC2 timetable. Will be advertised in Railnews in the winter. Drivers for SLC2 are being recruited internally.

• Weekly meetings are occuring at MD level to discuss the DfT (Directly Operated Railways) franchise takeover. 12 December 2009 (timetable changeover day) is the planned takeover date although this is subject to change.

• Platform Y at Kings Cross St Pancras will be becoming Platform 1 and therefore a platform renumbering exercise will take place.

• As part of a new initiative to reduce the number of Rail Replacement buses operated when engineering work is taking place, the following have been organised by NXEC in conjunction with Network Rail:

First two weekends in January, single line working will take place between York and Thirsk.
During the Hitchin reconfiguration work, Class 91s will be coasting through the affected section at 50mph. Rulebook alterations have occurred to secure this.​

GC (information gathered from the MD)

• HST power car reengineing will take place in conjunction with GCs capital investment requirements as part of the deal going through for track access rights until 2019.

• Three extra Class 180s have been secured from Angel Trains by GC (lease has been signed) for use on the West Riding services. One of these is already undergoing refurbishment work at Wolverton, one of these is currently in operation with Hull Trains and one is currently in an unsuitable state for use and GC are working to get this resolved.

• GC's current delay attribution has highlighted the following with regard to causes of GC delays:
20% of GC delays caused by GC (of which 70% was caused by train fleet issues)​
20% of GC delays caused by other TOCs/FOCs​
60% of GC delays caused by Network Rail

• The Grand Union brand has ceased to exist. West Riding services will operate under the auspices of Grand Central.

• Despite the recent financial losses reported at GC, GC is currently financially sustainable and aims to be profitable prior to the West Riding launch.

• The GC Kings Cross ticket office rumour that has been doing the rounds has no basis. Some staff will have down time at KGX but this will not be filled with ticket office duties.

• The DfT have confirmed to GC that so long as their promotional material conveys the "buy on board at no extra cost" message, all barrier staff at stations GC will serve, will be obliged to let GC passengers through ticketless.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
The main point of interest there is the changeover date. Glad it's sort of set in stone. And GC having all their services under one name seems like a very sensible idea.

A60K

I think they will have considered it, as it's a problem that has come up before - in the last year at Stratford they kept the old platform numbers for new platforms, and at Glasgow Central they renumbered some platforms.

tbtc

Veteran Member
• The DfT have confirmed to GC that so long as their promotional material conveys the "buy on board at no extra cost" message, all barrier staff at stations GC will serve, will be obliged to let GC passengers through ticketless.

...is it really that easy to get through barriers at KX?

Aictos

Established Member
Here are some updates on various issues to do with NXEC & GC gathered from senior members of the management of both companies.

NXEC (information gathered from the Operations Director)

• Soon to be externally recruiting guards for SLC2 timetable. Will be advertised in Railnews in the winter. Drivers for SLC2 are being recruited internally.

This is interesting, believe me I will be applying to join the dark side - just hope First get it so get the best of both worlds, :D

GNERman

Established Member
neither have network rail, yet...

so if u want some valenta haulage, be quick!!

also I had better keep filmig whenever I see them...

Flyboy

According to a BBC News report today regarding a desire by the Unions to keep the ECML permanently nationalised, it states that the handover ."....is expected in the next few weeks."

Given that that is the case, how and why are NXEC Management (who have effectively failed in their ability to run a railway) being allowed to make decisions which will have an effect beyond the point at which they've handed back the franchise? I talk particularly in terms of the recruitment plans mentioned by Glynn in his original post.

In regard to Grand Central, the Grand Northern brand will disappear but I'm not so sure the Grand Union brand will as I think this is the parent branding.

glynn80

Established Member
According to a BBC News report today regarding a desire by the Unions to keep the ECML permanently nationalised, it states that the handover ."....is expected in the next few weeks."

I am unsure which source the BBC has for their information or how accurate it is, but the information I have posted was up to date as of Wednesday.
Given that that is the case, how and why are NXEC Management (who have effectively failed in their ability to run a railway) being allowed to make decisions which will have an effect beyond the point at which they've handed back the franchise? I talk particularly in terms of the recruitment plans mentioned by Glynn in his original post.

The whole management team will not be removed. I personally asked the Operations Director if he was to be carrying on in his post with DOR and even somebody at his level was optimistic of keeping his employment.
In regard to Grand Central, the Grand Northern brand will disappear but I'm not so sure the Grand Union brand will as I think this is the parent branding.

Tom Clift definitely stated "Grand Union" would be still in existence in a legal sensebut the West Riding services would be running as Grand Union services. As you state, this doesn't make complete sense in that the services were never going to be advertised at Grand Union services but Grand Northern services. Whether he was confused between the two I am unsure but the main point still stands in that the services will be operated under the auspices of Grand Central.

GC's power car reengineering. Its not MTUs is it? Naah, you're ripping out the van at the back and making them TWIN Valenta powered.

I saw a Mini once with twin engines. Same idea....

GNERman

Established Member
I am unsure which source the BBC has for their information or how accurate it is, but the information I have posted was up to date as of Wednesday.

The whole management team will not be removed. I personally asked the Operations Director if he was to be carrying on in his post with DOR and even somebody at his level was optimistic of keeping his employment.

Tom Clift definitely stated "Grand Union" would be still in existence in a legal sensebut the West Riding services would be running as Grand Union services. As you state, this doesn't make complete sense in that the services were never going to be advertised at Grand Union services but Grand Northern services. Whether he was confused between the two I am unsure but the main point still stands in that the services will be operated under the auspices of Grand Central.

From what I have read from what Giles Fearnley has said, the GC brand will be used on the West Riding services, thus allowing for interchanging their fleet. The GU brand will continue but for the development of other routes and the GN brand will disappear.

As said this is what I have read from an article by Giles Fearnley.

Waddon

I wonder if Grand Central will be in a financial position to bid for the whole East Coast franchise when the government eventually puts it back on the market?

monkey

...don't see the point in having another thread on nxec, and gc, especially when its just bascally about the same thing...

jon0844

Veteran Member
• Platform Y at Kings Cross St Pancras will be becoming Platform 1 and therefore a platform renumbering exercise will take place.

Thank goodness common sense has prevailed, especially as it now allows for platform 9 3/4 to actually be in the 'right' place. :D

Aictos

Established Member
It could happen! I can just see the 91s and HSTs in GC livery, :p

Still, it could be any bidder from Arriva, DB, Stagecoach/Virgin, First, Grand Union or even the owners of Northern...

First has FCC until 2012 so might turn out that we lose the Great Northern/Thameslink franchise and get the East Coast franchise as a bitter sweet prize?

fgwrich

Established Member
First has FCC until 2012 so might turn out that we lose the Great Northern/Thameslink franchise and get the East Coast franchise as a bitter sweet prize?

Or the DFT Could do a FGW/Thames Trains and prefer to have a limteted number of TOC's running out of Kings X...Ie First Get FCC & East Coast and knock the great northern section into one...or have it like FGW did, with FGW & FGW Link, in this case, Just as First North Eastern Railway & Capital Connect...Though if First did get the Easct Coast franchise like id like them too, what would have happen to Hull Trains? Unless First pull any east coast services out from hull and just let HT run there...

GNERman

Established Member
It could happen! I can just see the 91s and HSTs in GC livery, :p

Still, it could be any bidder from Arriva, DB, Stagecoach/Virgin, First, Grand Union or even the owners of Northern...

well gu as with gc as they are owned by the same company, gcrc holdings and equishare partners

northern is run by ned railways and serco, also there is govia and keolis

Status
Not open for further replies.