• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXWM bus drivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

Firstly, apologies if it has already posted.

Anyways, Why do they always stop to regulate bus times way way before the bus terminus? Can't they stop at few stops before bus terminus and sit on there? As far as I know, on my route, there are spaces for bus to sit on few bus stops before (even there is some spaces for bus to sit on the bus terminus), so it doesn't clog up the road, however the bus driver still insists to stop 4 or so bus stops before.

It is annoying when I'm running late and I need to change for another bus in the city but is unable to do so due to bus driver deciding to stop 4 or so bus stops before the city centre. If had they stopped 1 or 2 , then I would have walked out and catch another bus that's most likely to be 1 to 10 minutes walk opposed to 30-40 minutes walk.

I've even had a disgruntled passenger to shout some profanities and perhaps threaten the bus driver before leaving the bus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I suspect it's because they have more than one timing point. The 74 and 75 are notorious for it at the Hockley Flyover at the bottom of Soho Road especially when heading out of town.

I don't see it all that much except at termini when the bus runs early.

Smethwickian

I know most routes into and out of Birmingham city centre are not timed to spend long at city termini, especially if they're one of the routes on a one-way loop, because there wouldn't be the road space at busy times and the centre would get snarled up. I suppose drivers have to be mindful of that.

Ideally, you need to check your journey's scheduled arrival time and allow plenty of time for your connection, rather than rely on it arriving early. I can't see any blame attaching to the bus operator for attempting to adhere to a timetable when you fully admit you're the one running late in the first place.

Yes, I understand it is not bus operators fault but at least they could make it more easier for passengers.
Also, the journey times vary on every bus that comes up so you wouldn't even know which one will rest or which one will not rest and journey planners are usually useless because bus never arrive on time so you may not have a time to match up the bus that's coming to your way.
Sometimes, I leave early but arrive at town late.

Badger

It is annoying when I'm running late and I need to change for another bus in the city but is unable to do so due to bus driver deciding to stop 4 or so bus stops before the city centre. If had they stopped 1 or 2 , then I would have walked out and catch another bus that's most likely to be 1 to 10 minutes walk opposed to 30-40 minutes walk.

If they're stopping four stops before, they're early for the stops four stops before. If they went, they'd have left the stops early...

It's far annoying to miss a bus because it's left early, than to miss a connection that isn't even timetabled then.

If you're running late, with all respect, it's your problem not the bus driver's.

Schnellzug

Established Member
it's once again because of this insistence by the Traffic Commissars that the exact times set out in timetables must be adhered to. This might be right and proper with an hourly service, of course, but if it's a (theoretical) ten minute frequency or something like that it can be rather irritating. This is one reason why I think that bus timetables are rather pointless, at least when they set down exact times to the minute, since they can only at best be a rough estimate, can't they, since any journey willalways take a bit longer or a bit less depending on how much traffic there is, and so on.

Established Member
If they're stopping four stops before, they're early for the stops four stops before. If they went, they'd have left the stops early...

It's far annoying to miss a bus because it's left early, than to miss a connection that isn't even timetabled then.

If you're running late, with all respect, it's your problem not the bus driver's.

This.

Find out what bus you need to make the connection and get that one. Don't moan because the bus has to stop so it doesn't run early.
I bet you wouldn't be too pleased if you got to your stop on time to find that the bus had already left a couple of minutes before.

dvboy

Established Member
My NXWM bus always leaves my stop up to four minutes early. Apparently the driver is going by a timing point two stops before mine therefore as far as he's concerned he's on time.

MCR247

Established Member
Firstly, apologies if it has already posted.

Anyways, Why do they always stop to regulate bus times way way before the bus terminus? Can't they stop at few stops before bus terminus and sit on there? As far as I know, on my route, there are spaces for bus to sit on few bus stops before (even there is some spaces for bus to sit on the bus terminus), so it doesn't clog up the road, however the bus driver still insists to stop 4 or so bus stops before.

I've even had a disgruntled passenger to shout some profanities and perhaps threaten the bus driver before leaving the bus.

Do you not think this is a bit selfish?! YOU are running late but you want the bus to run early so people who are at the bus stop on time miss their bus?!
Glad I don't get your bus :roll:

I wouldn't be making this thread if I was talking about bus routes that have 20> minutes frequency, but on my route and many other routes I use regularly have average combined of around 5 minutes frequency.

Obviously it would make sense if it had lower frequency but it isn't. Like schnellzug said, I think it's pointless trying to follow the timetable.

Badger, bus leaving early is becoming a common on my bus route, to point when almost all bus deciding to stop and sit few bus stops early.

Who's fault it is if I arrive on the bus stop early and bus arrives on time, but reaches few bus stops before town early so decide to stop for 5-10 minutes? It is timetabling problem, and it is quite common.

I really think bus drivers should stop following timetables on routes that is high frequency, otherwise they should make timetable timings more tight but still to leave some gaps if traffic ever happens.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Talking about buses running early in the WM area, diamond bus seem to have a habit of just running when they like on my local "swift" route. Early late or even 3 diamonds in one go, on a 30 minute frequency. Oh well at least the local independent op knows what a timetable is!

Status
Not open for further replies.