• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NY and SS Abbreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

I am curious what the Abbreviations for Carlisle NY and Tyne Yard SS mean. I am aware that many yards have the NY and SS after them but what do they mean. Also I am trying to understand what the development work is being carried out at Tyne yard is?

many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dquebec

I am curious what the Abbreviations for Carlisle NY and Tyne Yard SS mean. I am aware that many yards have the NY and SS after them but what do they mean. Also I am trying to understand what the development work is being carried out at Tyne yard is?

many thanks

My guess is "North(ern) Yard" and "South Sidings".

Completely a guess though!

GB

Established Member

many thanks

I assume

NY= North Yard
SS= Sorting Sidings

Nick82

That makes sense many thanks. Also I am reasearching tyne yard on the web site and I maybe miss informed regarding development work, have a number of FOC's relocated to TY and now have a number of signing on points. DB, Colas and Freightliner for example

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Preston passenger station was shown in 1960s BR working timetables as "Preston NU".
It took me a long time to work out that NU stood for North Union, the original company (eventually LNWR/L&YR joint) which built the station.
It's this sort of thing which makes the railway so fascinating.

Freightmaster

Established Member
NY = New Yard
SS = Sorting sidings
And just to be different, the Western region uses yet another suffix:

TC = Terminal Complex

It's similar to Signalling Centres being called different things
in different parts of the country (SC, ASC, PSB, IECC, etc).

MARK

D6975

Established Member
Another one you may come across is RS - reception sidings, although I notice that Immingham reception sidings are now referred to as SS.

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member
And just to be different, the Western region uses yet another suffix:

TC = Terminal Complex

It's similar to Signalling Centres being called different things
in different parts of the country (SC, ASC, PSB, IECC, etc).

MARK

Signalling Centres are actually distinctly different though, a PSB is completely different to an IECC.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Signalling Centres are actually distinctly different though, a PSB is completely different to an IECC.
Technically true in theory, but in practice, the abbreviations tend to
be used randomly/interchangeably in many cases these days!

For anyone interested, an IECC is actually the name of a signalling system
(like RETB) rather than a physical building, but the term is also often applied
to signalling centres which contain IECCs, such as Liverpool Street.

MARK

Asriel

Preston passenger station was shown in 1960s BR working timetables as "Preston NU".
It took me a long time to work out that NU stood for North Union, the original company (eventually LNWR/L&YR joint) which built the station.
It's this sort of thing which makes the railway so fascinating.

The building on the seldom used parcel platform at Preston which is blocked off to passengers is still called North Union House

class 9

Carlisle NY= Network Yard.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another one you may come across is RS - reception sidings, although I notice that Immingham reception sidings are now referred to as SS.
Reception and sorting sdgs at Immingham are not the same, sorting sdgs are where the steel traffic arrives/ departs.

D6975

Established Member
Carlisle NY= Network Yard.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Reception and sorting sdgs at Immingham are not the same, sorting sdgs are where the steel traffic arrives/ departs.

I know they aren't, but the reception sidings are now also referred to as SS.

Sacro

I thought NY stood for Network Yard, dating back to the days of Railfreight Distribution. I'm open to correction though.

Yep, I've gone into the NR Open Data and come up with

CARLILY Carlisle Network Yard

6Gman

Established Member
Basford Hall had (has?) locations:

BHSSN, BHSSM, BHSSS

Basford Hall Sorting Sidings North, Middle & South.

Status
Not open for further replies.