• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(NYC) MTA: Rat Scratched Woman On A Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

The next time you're stuck in a sweltering Tube carriage, think about this thread. The Tube on its worst day is still better than the NYC subway:

By: Tina Redwine

The MTA said a rat scratched a woman sitting on an A train in Columbus Circle around 8 a.m. Friday morning on the leg, a story that had subway riders grossed out. NY1's Tina Redwine filed the following report.

Riders waiting for the A train on Friday were disgusted by reports that a passenger was scratched by a rat while riding the A train.

Sources say a woman was riding the train on its way down from West 125th Street to 59th Street when she felt something. She looked down and saw that a rat had crawled up her left pant leg. When she pushed it off, the rat scratched her leg and scurried off.

The MTA says the woman got off at 59th Street and was taken to St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital where she was treated and released.

"I think it's really gross," said one rider who heard the story. "I'm going to take the bus."

The MTA says its extremely rare to see a rat on a subway car or to be scratched by one.

But back in 2011, a video posted on YouTube showed a rat on a Lexington Avenue 4 train that crawled onto a sleeping passenger.

And in October, NY1 easily found rats at the 86th Street station at Central Park West.

"They need to clean up the stations," said a commuter.

The MTA says it is having supervisors double check the cleanliness of stations. It says it routinely cleans stations, cars and tracks of debris that attracts rodents. Contractors also set bait for the rats.

The MTA is asking the public not to eat on subways and buses. If you have to eat, they ask that you please put your trash in a trash can.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/162743/mta--rat-scratched-woman-on-a-train

See the link for a video.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
You see rats on the Underground too, scuttling along the tracks. I did see quite a few on the NY Subway though!

Established Member
Cats solved the problem at Manchester Oxford Road.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You see rats on the Underground too, scuttling along the tracks.
I believe they are mainly mice rather than rats. I've also seen quite a few mice on platforms.

The cleanliness of the Underground though is by far superior to many other urban Metro systems which I have used.

Good luck to bus lady though, she's probably still on it if I remember how slow buses are in some parts of the world! :p

Firesprite

I believe they are mainly mice rather than rats. I've also seen quite a few mice on platforms.

The cleanliness of the Underground though is by far superior to many other urban Metro systems which I have used.

:p
I agree with that and you do get a better class of rodent on the tube than on other systems,

MCR247

Established Member
Rats or not, LU stations are of a much better quality than MTA ones

WestCoast

Established Member
Indeed, I covered a lot of the Subway in NYC earlier this year and the MTA stations seemed pretty run down in many cases and certainly nothing special to look at. Even touristy stations in Manhattan looked quite jaded.

Having said that, the trains were actually fairly presentable, comfortably air conditioned and the fares are extremely low compared to LU (the weekly ticket works out at about £2.70 a day for the entire subway and regular bus network - no peak fares/zones and a 24 hours a day service on most lines with express trains on certain lines). £2.70 on LU wouldn't even get you a single fare from Acton Town to Piccadilly Circus before 9.30am on weekdays!

I am told by an Australian friend that the Tokyo Subway is leagues ahead of even LU for cleanliness and presentation, but that wouldn't surprise me as cleanliness is certainly next to godliness for the Japanese!

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
The trouble with air-con is it dumps the heat into the tunnels and thus the stations, which were approaching sauna conditions, despite fans everywhere. Didn't see any Rats, unlike at Edgware Road once. I also once saw a Mouse in a chocolate vending machine in Paris. Ugh!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I was there a couple of weeks back, and proper big rats were everywhere on the subway, including at Columbus Circle which was 2 blocks from where we were staying. However the rats we saw respected their former colonial masters and stayed trackside.

Even on a slightly warm day, 24C, the stations were oppressively hot. Hate to think what it would be like in a heat wave.

WestCoast

Established Member
Of course, LU's S-Stock have air conditioning, will that have an affect on station temperatures on the sub-surface lines in London as they are introduced?

LE Greys

Established Member
Of course, LU's S-Stock have air conditioning, will that have an affect on station temperatures on the sub-surface lines in London as they are introduced?

With more above-platform clearance, plenty of open spaces (this was once a steam-worked network) and some decent fans at totally-enclosed stations, it should be OK. However, enclosed stations with poor ventillation, such as KX-SP or Tower Hill, might be awkward. One answer would be to turn the air-con off at enclosed stations, as already happens during periods of high power demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.