• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYC Subway Map - missing services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panceltic

Hello all,

I understand the Subway is very complicated to map correctly, but there seem to be some omissions! So far I have identified these:

- E trains to Jamaica/179 St instead of Jamaica Center/Parsons/Archer
- 2/4 trains to New Lots Av
- 5 trains to Crown Hts/Utica Av or New Lots Av

Meanwhile, the A train to Rockaway Park features prominently on the map, although only five trips a day are made.

Are there any other anomalies on the map?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
The NY Subway is a bit like the DLR, or the Southern inner suburban services, in London - there are basic services, but various oddball interconnected routings may run as well, some arranged spontaneously. It's not unknown in Manhattan for East Side trains to come down the West Side, and vice-versa, if there is a blockage on their main route. The various connections in the system allow this. They also seem to be slow at updating their maps for changes, unless they are major ones.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Its the same reason the tube map doesn't show the Circle trains from Barking to Edgware Road via Victoria that run first thing in the morning, showing them would confuse more people than it helped.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The map is very much easier to understand now - than even as "recently" as the 1980's when peak only service changes were shown - e.g Bronx Through Express for peak workings to Parkchester / 177th Street - and many other variations on the station coding.

NY Yankee

Hello all,

I understand the Subway is very complicated to map correctly, but there seem to be some omissions! So far I have identified these:

- E trains to Jamaica/179 St instead of Jamaica Center/Parsons/Archer
- 2/4 trains to New Lots Av
- 5 trains to Crown Hts/Utica Av or New Lots Av

Meanwhile, the A train to Rockaway Park features prominently on the map, although only five trips a day are made.

Are there any other anomalies on the map?

Thanks!

I use the E train all of the time. There are only a limited amount of E trains (4-6 during the AM and PM rush hour) that go to 179 Street. They only go there because Jamaica Center sometimes gets congested with trains. Listing the E to 179 Street would only confuse people. I've been on many E trains to 179 Street. Whenever it arrives at 179 Street, there's always at least three people asking where's the Airtrain, since they didn't take the correct E train to Sutphin-JFK.

As far as the 2,4, and 5, those are only a limited number of trips (and for the record, regularly scheduled 4 trains operate to New Lots at nights). Listing those trips would only confuse people.

stut

Established Member
The maps are a lot clearer than the cluttered 80s ones, but they still haven't done anything as beautiful as the Vignelli maps of the 70s.

vignelli-subway-map-19721.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.