• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYC Subway - train recording and mileage data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Following an excellent trip to New York (don't worry, the trip report is in progress!), and many Subway moves, I now have a dilemma. Let's begin with an example move from 11th March 2016:

1441+1442+1443+1444+1445+1316+1317+1318+1319+1320 Kingston Avenue-Chambers Street (1139, arr 1207)

This was on MTA Subway line 3, for those unaware of the maze of lines the Subway has. Anyway, I had no idea what I did and didn't need to record of the trains. Common sense dictates that I would do the same as I would on the Bakerloo line, for example, and record the outer vehicle of each set, so when it comes to adding the moves to RailMiles and my books, I would have it in as 1441+1320.

However, is this the right answer? Are the inner vehicles (1444, 1318 for example) motor coaches, would anyone else record these? I don't think I need to, but for the sake of making sure I noted all vehicles on each move. This was more of a pain than you'd think on busy trains, trying to grab hold of a pole with bags and a case, trying to type the moves up on my phone too!

The other thing I need to find, which I haven't actually Googled yet, is mileage data for the Subway. Some of the moves were rather long, the longest we did was Kingston Place to Central Park North (110th Street) on line 3, which due to it being on Saturday meant we had to pick up the stops line 1 trains normally do. Quite the long move that!

Anyone on here more of an expert on the Subway, or able to point me in the direction of somewhere I can find all of the relevant data? A fleet list book is proving impossible to find so far, although I've got to get back on the ST Publications website and make sure I haven't missed it. Wikipedia's entry for the Subway is confusing when it comes to the fleets, and another website was no better.

Hopefully someone here knows more than I do!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NY Yankee

Hi all,

Following an excellent trip to New York (don't worry, the trip report is in progress!), and many Subway moves, I now have a dilemma. Let's begin with an example move from 11th March 2016:

1441+1442+1443+1444+1445+1316+1317+1318+1319+1320 Kingston Avenue-Chambers Street (1139, arr 1207)

This was on MTA Subway line 3, for those unaware of the maze of lines the Subway has. Anyway, I had no idea what I did and didn't need to record of the trains. Common sense dictates that I would do the same as I would on the Bakerloo line, for example, and record the outer vehicle of each set, so when it comes to adding the moves to RailMiles and my books, I would have it in as 1441+1320.

However, is this the right answer? Are the inner vehicles (1444, 1318 for example) motor coaches, would anyone else record these? I don't think I need to, but for the sake of making sure I noted all vehicles on each move. This was more of a pain than you'd think on busy trains, trying to grab hold of a pole with bags and a case, trying to type the moves up on my phone too!

The other thing I need to find, which I haven't actually Googled yet, is mileage data for the Subway. Some of the moves were rather long, the longest we did was Kingston Place to Central Park North (110th Street) on line 3, which due to it being on Saturday meant we had to pick up the stops line 1 trains normally do. Quite the long move that!

Anyone on here more of an expert on the Subway, or able to point me in the direction of somewhere I can find all of the relevant data? A fleet list book is proving impossible to find so far, although I've got to get back on the ST Publications website and make sure I haven't missed it. Wikipedia's entry for the Subway is confusing when it comes to the fleets, and another website was no better.

Hopefully someone here knows more than I do!

The 3 line travels through some not so pleasant areas of the city (particularly the New Lots Avenue end). If you're still in the city then I get off of work at 4 PM on Friday. Maybe we can meet up and chat.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry buddy I left New York on Saturday. Aye it's not the nicest part of New York, but then it's not Queens....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, I hadn't found that surprisingly! I shall try Googling for NYC Subway Roster, that might well help. Quite, I might get in touch from MTA directly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.