• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYC Teacher caught kissing her boy-toy student

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

By ANNIE KARNI and DON KAPLAN

Last Updated: 2:25 PM, May 30, 2012

Posted: 1:38 AM, May 30, 2012

They look like a picture-perfect young couple kissing in the park.

The problem is, she’s his high-school teacher.

Stunning global-studies instructor Julie Warning got a bit too worldly with a pupil in the middle of a Greenwich Village park after school — and the makeout session was caught on camera by one of her own stunned students.

The Department of Education reassigned Warning to an administrative position yesterday and turned the matter over to the department’s special commissioner of investigations, officials said.

“The photo is of a teacher and she has been reassigned,” a DOE spokeswoman said. Asked about Warning, an SCI official confirmed, “We have a case.”

According to an eyewitness, the 26-year-old teacher at Manhattan Theater Lab HS near Lincoln Center looked swept off her feet as she sat on a bench near Bleecker Street, legs strewn across the lap of 18-year-old senior Eric Arty last Friday.

They kissed and held each other passionately for more than 30 minutes, oblivious to any gawkers.

“It’s hard to fathom,” said the shocked classmate who witnessed the hot-for-student session. “I wish it was a different teacher, because she was well-liked. But the DOE should vet its teachers better if this is something she would do.”

The teacher and her pet met in front of a shoe store in SoHo and then strolled through the Village hand in hand like a dating couple, according to the student, who requested anonymity.

The two were in their own world, stopping to kiss at each red light.

“She’s definitely the most appealing teacher in the school,” said the student witness. “She always wore nice skirts, and she had appealing tattoos all over her body.”

But she looks even more like a wild child on her Facebook page.

Photos show her double-fisting beers, partying with cigarettes tucked behind her ear and drinking out of a beer bong.

Warning, of upstate Peekskill Lake, and Arty both denied that she is the woman in the photographed make-out session.

“Yeah, that’s me. I’m kissing a girl,” Arty said when confronted with the photo. “That’s not my teacher that I’m kissing in the picture. It’s just a girl I know.”

Warning claimed she was camping with friends at the time. She and Arty both denied they were romantically involved.

“He is my student but I’ve never had a relationship with him or any of my students,” said Warning. “That is inappropriate. I think that this is a misunderstanding.”

Warning would face no criminal charges because Arty is not a minor. But she faces disciplinary action from the DOE if investigators decide that she and Arty were romantically involved.

The teachers-union contract states that sexual misconduct with a student is defined as “sexual touching” or “action that could reasonably be interpreted as soliciting a sexual relationship.”

“It doesn’t seem like her style,” said her father, Pete Warning.

“All of her students, like 85 percent, are gonna pass their Regents for the first time. They all love her. My heart’s broken,” he said.

During an appearance this morning on Fox 5's "Good Day New York," Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said an investigation is already underway.

"One case is one too many," he said. "If you're a parent, you don't want a teacher rubbing your child's buttocks."

Several students said schools investigators had quizzed them about Warning and asked if she had ever indulged in inappropriate behavior with them.

“I’d be very disappointed if it’s true,” said Marquis Baggett, 16, a sophomore at the school. “She’s real nice and a great teacher. I passed my global Regents because of her last year.”

Additional reporting by Kate Kowsh, Kevin Sheehan, Kevin Fasick and Jennifer Fermino

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/teacher_is_so_buss_ted_bz6MATC5A4W18Q4H4iEXmL

I posted this article because I know how much you guys like racy stories. I went to a different high school in NYC. The teachers at my high school were middle age and overweight. They were not as sexy as the teacher in the article. However, I also attended a college prep program on Saturdays and there were quite a few sexy teachers. I don't see what the problem is. Both the teacher and the student are enjoying their relationship, and it's not interfering with the learning process. Are teacher-student relationships common in the UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Some background to the Sex Offences Act in this regard as well as a more general duty of care

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/449655.stm

THE on a university case

A 2008 case

A summary of the law in Scotland, General Teaching Council for Scotland.

There is loads of information, opinion, debate and examples on the internet, however what you have described above is a breach of the duty of care and will (has) land you a prison sentence and a place on the sex offender register, yes even if no sexual act took place I believe as I think a kiss in this regard is or can be seen as a sexual act or an act with sexual connotations.

causton

Established Member
Just to clarify, she is not facing criminal charges since he's 18 and the age of consent in New York is 17.

I believe that the age of consent makes no difference with the UK "duty of care" - we undertook an investigation into online privacy in an ICT lesson and our target was to find the teacher's Facebook account, which was set up under a false name... we eventually found it by looking at friends in common with each other but were told not to even think about adding her account, even after leaving school (which we since have - almost!) as it would be a breach of the duty of care. Now whether she was being very cautious, didn't like us, or whether the rules are that strict...

Barn

Established Member
Just to clarify, she is not facing criminal charges since he's 18 and the age of consent in New York is 17.

The age of consent here is 16, but it's raised to 18 if one of the parties is in a position of responsibility over the other.

It always strikes me how different the tone of the stories is when the teacher is a woman and the student is a boy. They're often written in a "lucky guy" style.

Metrailway

It has been rumoured that a couple of relationships between academics and students have occurred during my time at my university. However, it is heavily frowned upon by the university, since the academic may not be impartial when marking the coursework/exam of the student.

Oswyntail

Established Member
It has been rumoured that a couple of relationships between academics and students have occurred during my time at my university. However, it is heavily frowned upon by the university, since the academic may not be impartial when marking the coursework/exam of the student.
Correct - it is classed as a potential abuse of a relationship of trust, effectively classing the student as "vulnerable", whatever their relative ages. Of course, such relationships happen, but it is up to the one "in authority" to take steps to hand over that authority to someone else for the relationship to continue.

LE Greys

Established Member
There have been a few occasions where the older half has had the book thrown at her (or him) and the younger half has committed suicide. Whether that can be blamed on one or other of the parties, or whether it was the result of bad handling by the authorities I suppose depends on circumstances, but it's worth remembering that seeing someone you care about being imprisoned because they had a relationship with you can be extremely traumatic. Still, I'd advise both teachers and students not even to think about going there if they can avoid it.

tony_mac

Established Member
Correct - it is classed as a potential abuse of a relationship of trust, effectively classing the student as "vulnerable", whatever their relative ages. Of course, such relationships happen, but it is up to the one "in authority" to take steps to hand over that authority to someone else for the relationship to continue.

I don't think that is correct --- the sexual offences act, 2003, seems to state the the 'position of trust' only applies if a person in under 18. There is a separate section protecting people with a 'mental disorder', but I don't think there is anything that applies generally.
That isn't to say that there couldn't be other offences committed, but I think they would generally involve some form of pressure being applied, not for a straightforward consensual relationship between adults.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

What would happen if a mature student of say 29, had a relationship with a younger lecturer? I assume it is nothing to do with age, and so this relationship would be 'frowned upon'?

LE Greys

Established Member
What would happen if a mature student of say 29, had a relationship with a younger lecturer? I assume it is nothing to do with age, and so this relationship would be 'frowned upon'?

Equally, what if a female executive had a relationship with a young, male intern? I don't know the exact circumstances (single/married, age differences, do they look/act as though their ages are the same, whatever) so I'm really not going to speculate. 'Taking advantage' is wrong, under any circumstances, but it's probably not a good idea to make uninformed judgements (although I know I'm guilty of that sometimes).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Equally, what if a female executive had a relationship with a young, male intern? I don't know the exact circumstances (single/married, age differences, do they look/act as though their ages are the same, whatever) so I'm really not going to speculate. 'Taking advantage' is wrong, under any circumstances, but it's probably not a good idea to make uninformed judgements (although I know I'm guilty of that sometimes).

Indeed. That is the real point I was making I suppose. The law seems to assume that it is just a question of one aspect of the relationship, but there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.