• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR Steam Locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
The NELPG’s Class J27 has just returned to service at the NYMR after a long overhaul. Before it returned to steam, it was widely reported across railway media that the loco would only be used on light, early-season trains as it wasn’t powerful enough to haul full service trains, which makes sense. However, on BH Monday this week, which I’d imagine would be a busy day for the railway, the J27 was hauling a full 6-coach train up and down the valley. I would have thought this wouldn’t be within it’s capability given the gradients on this line - but clearly not. Are the NYMR short of steam locomotives or is it actually perfectly capable (in which case why was it planned to only haul lighter trains?)?

Also, I’ve noticed that all the NYMR’s locos currently in service are BR power class 5 or below. Given that it’s one of the busiest railways in the country, does this limit them in any way compared to using class 7 or 8 locos, for example - would more powerful locos on a regular basis allow them to increase capacity? I am aware of the increased running costs of doing so - perhaps the cost would outweigh the benefits?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Watching the Grosmont webcam earlier this week (Monday, I think) I noted that the J27 hauled train heading for Goathland did have a diesel banker. Not certain if this was just for insurance or because of the wet rail conditions.

Macwomble

A4 60007 LE at Levisham 22Jul06.JPG @alexl92
Normal train length on NYMR is 7 x Mk1 carriages so the J27 was pulling one coach lighter. Our capacity constraints are the number, or lack of, passing loops on the 18 mile line (only 2).

Larger Class 7, 8 & 9 locos are sometime used on the line but they are constrained by some tight curves/reverse curves. In the recent past Royal Scot, Flying Scotsman & Tornado (amongst others) have all visited & successfully run on the line. Don't forget that 60007, Sir Nigel Gresley, is usually based, and runs on the line.

IIRC when the J27 was last in steam it regularly hauled 6 & no we are not short of locos at the moment.

@John Webb
Class 5 locos AFAIK will haul 7 up the 3.5 miles of 1 in 49 to Goathland without problem. The diesel on the back of the J27 would, probably, have been "insurance".

** 60007 at Levisham, taken during running in after its last overhaul (2006).

Last edited:

fireftrm

Class 5 locos can take 8 up the bank and regularly do - the diner set plus the GWR saloon is the example. 825 should be back in service shortly and is class 7 so she will be a great diner engine.

markindurham

Class 5 locos can take 8 up the bank and regularly do - the diner set plus the GWR saloon is the example. 825 should be back in service shortly and is class 7 so she will be a great diner engine.
I thought she was classed 6F in BR days

John Webb

Established Member
Watching the Grosmont webcam this week, I have noticed several references to services being delayed by 'locomotive problems'. Anyone who can say what these problems have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.