NYMR Trains to Whitby

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by dunoon, 9 Dec 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunoon

dunoon Member

Hi,
    I went on a 3 day driving course on the NYMR in 2006, at the time NYMR didn't run trains to Whitby. I was watching a video on YOU-TUBE the other day about trains runnnig from Pickering to Whitby. I got wondering how do they turn the loco? I'm unfimiliar with the railway in Whitby. Do they have a turntable or a Y or a loop. Thanks
    Rich Davis
    Virginia, USA

2. dave_wm

dave_wm Member

There is a run-round loop located just outside Whitby station, here https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54...0.613861&spn=0.003995,0.011362&num=1&t=h&z=17

They use this at present I believe, with the train reversing out after arrival to run around, then reversing back into the station for departure. However, I believe there are plans for a second platform to be constructed at Whitby station, presumably with a loop, for the use of NYMR services.

Hope that helps :)

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forum :)

The loco isn't turned. The train is reversed into the loop. The loco runs around the train so it's on the front. The train is then reversed again, back into the platform. So in one direction the loco will be the 'wrong' way round.

4. ryan125hst

ryan125hst Established Member

That's right. The train from Pickering arrives into Whitby where the passengers alight. Once everyone is off, the doors are locked and the train is propelled out of the station, with someone in radio contact with the driver of the loco. The loco then runs around the train and propels the train back into the platform. The doors are then unlocked and passengers are then able to board.

They have to make sure that everyone is off and lock the doors because they are not allowed to propel the train with passengers onboard.

I have seen a diagram of a plan for Whitby station, involving bringing the second platform back into use for use by Northern Rail trains. I think it also involves installing a third line between the two platforms to allow a NYMR loco to run round the train while a Northern train is in the platform. Whether these plans will happen or just a dream, I don't know.

5. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That would be a very significant project requiring a lot of rebuilding as I seem to recall that Whitby is only wide enough for two platforms with no room in the middle for a centre track. I think if they were going to reinstate the second platform it would have to be a shunt release job with the loco pulling forward than running around the stock via the other platform rather than through a centre road.

6. scarby

scarby Member

Where's the Whitby turntable pit? Is it built over/destroyed?

7. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Plan is for a centre road runround.
    Linking directly into the existing Bog Hall sidings.
    This means it will be possible to run round any train totally independant of any Esk Valley working into Platform 1
    Access to Bog Hall will only be available from P2

8. Greenback

Greenback Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure I saw a photo from the 1970's which showed a centre road at Whitby. It was in a magazine but I can't remember which one! Curse my failing memory!

9. dave_wm

dave_wm Member

10. Greenback

Greenback Moderator Staff Member Moderator

11. dave_wm

dave_wm Member

Haha, no problem - I was sure I'd seen one on the internet somewhere! :)

12. Tomnick

Tomnick Established Member

Will access to the proposed new platform at Whitby be controlled from a ground frame, requiring trains to stop before entering and after leaving - similar to the arrangement for the second platform at Mallaig?

13. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

Yes, gf leading onto wht will effectively be a private railway into the reconstructed platform 2. The development should allow for 1 - 2 extra NYMR services on the branch per day, and I believe substantial progress has been made towards securing the required funding.

For those interested, this is the railway's forward planning document: http://www.nymr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/NYMR_vision_A4_aug2012_final.pdf

14. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Huh didn't seem wide enough when I was there last. Ah well clearly one of our memories is failing :lol:

15. kylemore

kylemore Member

Would it not be better to just hand the whole line from the junction to Whitby over to NYMR and just allow Northern running rights?

That way the line could be developed along heritage lines away from the dead (and slow) hand of officialdom.

16. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

Not really. The NYMR couldn't afford to maintain the additional infrastructure.

The ideal, would be for investment from NR to increase the capacity of the route. However, let's be realistic, the country is skint, and finding cash to develop rural branch lines is pretty far down the priority list.

17. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Not only would the NYMR have more miles of track to maintain and bridges to look after and replace when life expired, but they'd also have to keep it open all year round too for mainline services. It wouldn't be workable.

Chris

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  18. kylemore

kylemore Member

Well presumably NR/Northern would have to pay some kind of access charges?

Whitby is such a huge visitor attraction and traffic attractor, a positive way of looking at it would be that traffic and therefore revenue could be built up that would outweigh the extra cost. Anything can be made to be "workable" if theres a will behind it.

19. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

If it's not financially viable all the goodwill in the world won't make any difference.

Chris

20. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim Member

There's no good reason why NYMR and Northern shouldn't share Whitby Station, as long as each line is completely separate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.