• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OAP Bus Pass Where can you use it on the railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

It would be nice to have a list of where you can use your bus pass on the railway. Durham allow Durham people to have half price rail tickets from Bishop Auckland to Middlesbrough, Newcastle via the coast route. Only on Northern Rail .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Merseyside residents can use the OAP bus pass on Merseyrail outside of peak times. Non Merseyside residents however can't as much as some Try!

johnmoly

You can use it on any train within Merseyside, but only a Merseytravel issued pass. Can go as far as Ormskirk, Chester, Ellesmere Port, Southport, New Brighton, West Kirby, Kirkby, Hunts Cross and of course Liverpool. Oh, and it can be used on the river ferries as well.

TheSel

... and Merseyside's definition of 'OAP' is merely someone who has attained the age of 60. You don't need to have retired.

(In fact, I got mine at the grand old age of 59 years and 363 days - and promptly used it!)

Minor update to johnmoly's post above - you can use it beyond Kirkby, to Rainford; beyond Southport to Meols Cop; on Transport for Wales 'Borderlands Line' from Bidston to Heswall (Rainford, Meols Cop and Heswall all being within Merseyside); and beyond Hunts Cross to Hough Green (which is a few yards outside the geographical country boundary, but has always been seen as within the Merseyside PTE/A area since its inception).

Last edited:

big all

On Moderation
from what i can gather only local people gain from train or tram add ons so no point having a national list as they wont apply
but could off course be wrong

Basher

You can use it on any train within Merseyside, but only a Merseytravel issued pass. Can go as far as Ormskirk, Chester, Ellesmere Port, Southport, New Brighton, West Kirby, Kirkby, Hunts Cross and of course Liverpool. Oh, and it can be used on the river ferries as well.
Sounds like a good deal, is it totally free? We only get 50% discount.

Macwomble

I can use mine to travel (locally) at reduced rate off peak. Can't remember what the conditions are but it's something to do with SPT (Strathclyde Passenger Transport)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Greater Manchester passes valid on Trains and Metrolink in Greater Manchester.

TheSel

Sounds like a good deal, is it totally free? We only get 50% discount.

Well, there's no such thing as a free meal, as they say, so it presumably gets paid for out of Council Tax receipts, and thus impacts on such necessary living expenses to Merseyside residents, but yes, it's free to use, free to obtain, and valid without further restriction after 0930 Monday - Friday, and all day Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.

Details viewable to all at this link: https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/tickets/concessions/pages/60+.aspx

PeterC

Established Member
from what i can gather only local people gain from train or tram add ons so no point having a national list as they wont apply
but could off course be wrong
The Sheffield tram validity is new to me. Appart from that I haven't heard of any validity for out of area users on any of these schemes. But there is always the possibility that invalid passes may be accepted in error.

Welshman

Established Member
Transport for Wales is still allowing Welsh OAP bus passes to be used on the Conwy Valley line between Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog.

As I can't remember the last time a train ran on this route, a recent trip involved my showing my bus pass at Llandudno ticket office for a "free" rail ticket [incidently priced at 0.10p - presumably to keep the bean-counters happy] to Blaenau, and then board the substituted road transport outside the station!

Incidentally, I must admit that driver of Llew Jones' Neoplan coach kept to the train times with no difficulty, and the high-floored coach was not only much more comfortable than the usual Cl.150 dmu, , but also afforded splendid views of the Conwy Valley as each seat offered a panoramic window-view.

maire23

Sheffield Tram accepts any concessionary pass, even out of area ones- I’ve successfully used my Leicestershire County Council disabled persons pass on there a few times.
In Leicester, City of Leicester pass holders can travel as far as Grantham and Peterborough on their concessionary passes by train- meanwhile a few miles up the road Leicestershire County Council only allows bus travel which is a huge source of irritation to me as I travel to Nottingham and Peterborough a lot. If I lived about 5 miles down the road it would be free but it ends up costing me a fortune!

philthetube

Established Member
... and Merseyside's definition of 'OAP' is merely someone who has attained the age of 60. You don't need to have retired.

(In fact, I got mine at the grand old age of 59 years and 393 days - and promptly used it!)

Minor update to johnmoly's post above - you can use it beyond Kirkby, to Rainford; beyond Southport to Meols Cop (both Rainford and Meols Cop being within Merseyside); and beyond Hunts Cross to Hough Green (which is a few yards outside the geographical country boundary, but has always been seen as within the Merseyside PTE area).
2 months after it was due then?

big all

On Moderation
Sheffield Tram accepts any concessionary pass, even out of area ones- I’ve successfully used my Leicestershire County Council disabled persons pass on there a few times.
In Leicester, City of Leicester pass holders can travel as far as Grantham and Peterborough on their concessionary passes by train- meanwhile a few miles up the road Leicestershire County Council only allows bus travel which is a huge source of irritation to me as I travel to Nottingham and Peterborough a lot. If I lived about 5 miles down the road it would be free but it ends up costing me a fortune!

suspect oap passes will be different but off course i dont know
all i know is the extras above minimum are paid by local council tax
perhaps disable passes are covered by work and pensions i simply dont know

Meole

Cambrian coast and Central Wales lines, including from Shrewsbury for the latter.

I’m not 100% sure because it’s a while since I’ve been to Sheffield, but the disabled pass is valid at any time on the tram but the OAP is after 9:30am. I’ve used my disabled one before 9:30am anyway.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Transport for Wales is still allowing Welsh OAP bus passes to be used on the Conwy Valley line between Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog.

As I can't remember the last time a train ran on this route, a recent trip involved my showing my bus pass at Llandudno ticket office for a "free" rail ticket [incidently priced at 0.10p - presumably to keep the bean-counters happy] to Blaenau, and then board the substituted road transport outside the station!

Incidentally, I must admit that driver of Llew Jones' Neoplan coach kept to the train times with no difficulty, and the high-floored coach was not only much more comfortable than the usual Cl.150 dmu, , but also afforded splendid views of the Conwy Valley as each seat offered a panoramic window-view.

Welsh OAP Bus Passes are also valid on the Cambrian Coast line north of Machynlleth, and on the Heart of Wales line during the winter.

Bookd

No-one seems to have mentioned the London Freedom Pass which works as a bus pass anywhere in England but also gives free travel on National Rail and Undergound and trams within the TFL area.

big all

On Moderation
No-one seems to have mentioned the London Freedom Pass which works as a bus pass anywhere in England but also gives free travel on National Rail and Undergound and trams within the TFL area.
in think the point is all passes have a minimum value governed by parliament as in all local buses within you part off the uk
as in england ireland scotland and wales are sepperate entities
local passes will have rellivent coverage plus additional paid for through local "taxes " extras like trams or rail add ons
if you are given extra above that its payed for others in the local community via council tax so would seem extras dont really exist outside an area or being given in error through not understanding the system

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
South Yorkshire issued passes also give holders 50% off rail fares within the county. Until a few years ago, trains were free and there were also concessions for rail travel into West Yorkshire. When the scheme changed there was a big fuss and various protests. Google "South Yorkshire Freedom Riders". The current South Yorkshire scheme does seem a bit stingy compared to othe PTE areas.

HUY2ROB

Can you use it on a TPE train from Lime Street to Lea Green or Newton Le Willows?

South Yorkshire issued passes also give holders 50% off rail fares within the county. Until a few years ago, trains were free and there were also concessions for rail travel into West Yorkshire. When the scheme changed there was a big fuss and various protests. Google "South Yorkshire Freedom Riders". The current South Yorkshire scheme does seem a bit stingy compared to othe PTE areas.

I’d be happy with that 50% off trains! My disabled pass only gives the bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.