• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OBB Austria Interrail Reservation Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellhouse

I'm attempting seat reservations Zurich-Budapest in August, through the OBB website. Once I reach Seat Selection, no available seats are shown anywhere on the train.

I have tried random alternative dates as soon as next week, so it's not an issue of booking too early.

I've tried on both laptop and Android phone, so it's not a specific IP address issue.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm attempting seat reservations Zurich-Budapest in August, through the OBB website. Once I reach Seat Selection, no available seats are shown anywhere on the train.

I have tried random alternative dates as soon as next week, so it's not an issue of booking too early.

I've tried on both laptop and Android phone, so it's not a specific IP address issue.

Any advice much appreciated.

Which particular service is this for?
If it's not a compulsory reservation service, then it's not worth paying for a reservation IMO, as you'll get a seat easily.

Veteran Member
Day train or night train? For Tuesday 7 Aug (randomly) I can get a reservation on a RJ and choose a seat, but the overnight isnt bookable at all (havent checked fo other dates, but night time engineering works are a possibility).

cactustwirly

Established Member
Day train or night train? For Tuesday 7 Aug (randomly) I can get a reservation on a RJ and choose a seat, but the overnight isnt bookable at all (havent checked fo other dates, but night time engineering works are a possibility).

The overnight service is operated by MAV, so you can't get the reservations through OeBB

dutchflyer

Established Member
AFAIK its impossible to do that online for just seat/selection.
If youre really overly anxious and tied into a strict monthes advance schedule/try to ask on rail.cc-en the dedicated IR/forum. The editors peter and flo are austrian.

superalbs

Established Member
Try reserving from partway into the journey, such as the first station in Austria.

Feldkirch I think it is? Not sure if it will make a difference, but worth a look.

wellhouse

Cracked it(sort of)

The service I was after is RJ165 1040 departure from Zurich, the only direct day train to Budapest. As there are 4 of us, I was keen to ensure we sit together for the 10+ hour journey.

It would seem that OBB don't permit seat selection for Business Class, perhaps to prevent solo travellers occupying bays. When I attempted First Class reservations, there was plenty of availability, and I found it difficult to believe Business Class was fully booked on all the dates I tried. (including the suggestion to book from Feldkirch)

The solution I eventually discovered was that after selecting the Business Class supplement, I went directly to 'Add to Basket' without selecting seats. There is no option to then visit seat selection, but the OBB website has a neat feature that permits cancellation of a transaction within 2 minutes, so I was able to check on my confirmation email that we had been allocated seats together.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Cracked it(sort of)

The service I was after is RJ165 1040 departure from Zurich, the only direct day train to Budapest. As there are 4 of us, I was keen to ensure we sit together for the 10+ hour journey.

It would seem that OBB don't permit seat selection for Business Class, perhaps to prevent solo travellers occupying bays. When I attempted First Class reservations, there was plenty of availability, and I found it difficult to believe Business Class was fully booked on all the dates I tried. (including the suggestion to book from Feldkirch)

The solution I eventually discovered was that after selectng the Business Class supplement, I went directly to 'Add to Basket' without selecting seats. There is no option to then visit seat selection, but the OBB website has a neat feature that permits cancellation of a transaction within 2 minutes, so I was able to check on my confirmation email that we had been allocated seats together.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I wouldn't bother paying for seats tbh, you'll easily get a seat, especially in business

MisterT

While a reservation (which includes the Business class supplemental fee) is recommended, it is perfectly fine and possible to buy a Business class upgrade on board.

superalbs

Established Member
While a reservation (which includes the Business class supplemental fee) is recommended, it is perfectly fine and possible to buy a Business class upgrade on board.
Then I have been misinformed. Interesting, thanks.

MarcVD

Yes I can confirm that, I have done it. A few years ago, I traveled from Brussels to Athens by train and Zurich to Budapest was part of my trip. I had a first class interrail for that trip and upgraded to business with the train guard just before departure in Zurich. Although it was not very expensive, we were only two business pax on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.