• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Observations of face covering in shops, public transport and other public places

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
moderator note: please use this thread for all observations of face mask wearing.

So as not to clog up the public transport thread with off topic things, please post your observations of face coverings in shops etc. (mods please move/merge/rename as necessary)

I'll start. Co op was empty. Not a single customer at 9am. Usually it's a fairly busy time. Tesco express, one customer, no mask, so 0% compliance. Pound shop, one customer, no mask. Greengrocers, one customer, wearing a mask. I know the proprietor quite well, and they said they didn't care if they were worn or not. Bakers shop are now serving through a hatch directly on to the street so are not requiring them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I have just come back from a visit to Caffe Nero in the centre of Birmingham.

I did not wear a mask whilst in the shop, but I did sanitise my hands on entering the shop, and stood 2 metres away from the counter whilst placing my order. At the time, there was only one other customer in the shop.

Whilst drinking my coffee, two people came in wearing a mask with the nose exposed, others came in without a mask and then put one on with the nose exposed whilst at the counter placing their order. Only one person came in wearing a mask correctly.

The girl behind the counter didn't say anything to me or any of the other people.

Darandio

Established Member
Just been in my nearest Asda. There were 20+ people in the shop and all were wearing masks although there had always been a high percentage of mask wearers before today anyway. As it's an ex-Netto store it's a bit smaller than other Asda stores and the one way system had remained of late but it's been removed today.

Although the mask situation isn't ideal, has been poorly thought out and recent comments from up high are encouraging vigilantism, it was the most relaxed shop i've done since before lockdown started. No rolling eyes, people respectful of space and shoppers not making utterly ridiculous movements to avoid other people at all costs.

adc82140

Established Member
Just done Moto services on the M4 at Cheively. 95% compliance, but why does the place have to look like a crime scene with all the hazard tape everywhere?

AdamWW

Established Member
Just done Moto services on the M4 at Cheively. 95% compliance, but why does the place have to look like a crime scene with all the hazard tape everywhere?

Because the UK has a world-beating use of hazard tape?

Richard Scott

Established Member
Had to go to one shop today to get something for my mother. First time tried the mask experience, hated every minute of it and couldn't wait to get it off. Made me feel uncomfortable, harder to breath and getting quite anxious. Won't be happening again. Quite a few people taking them off the second they left the shop.

MontyMinerWA

On visiting our nearest large supermarket this lunch time I don't think I saw a single person not wearing a mask. People are clearly getting the message and I think this is good news.

High Dyke

Established Member
So just visited my local Costa. Now able to sit inside. Had my mask on to enter, first time I've really worn a face covering. I've obtained some washable cotton types. Suffered foggy glass syndrome, and the whole experience felt a bit weird. Not certain how I'd get on wearing one for a prolonged period of time inside a retail premises/on public transport. Part of my problem is that I don't breathe through my nose, but through my mouth.

J-2739

Established Member
On visiting our nearest large supermarket this lunch time I don't think I saw a single person not wearing a mask. People are clearly getting the message and I think this is good news.
Mass obedience...

Just been out into town, and I'd say about 65% of people complied with the face covering rule (or guidance?!). Good enough for me, I'd say.

All sorts of colours on display, which is much more relaxing to see than just a monotonous wave of blue and white.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I continue to be baffled by the number of people wearing masks outdoors. I even saw a group of Chinese people wearing masks while on a walk out on the moors above Sheffield last week! Surely one of the main benefits of having a walk in the country is breathing the fresh clean air?

birchesgreen

Established Member
I continue to be baffled by the number of people wearing masks outdoors. I even saw a group of Chinese people wearing masks while on a walk out on the moors above Sheffield last week! Surely one of the main benefits of having a walk in the country is breathing the fresh clean air?

Yes but not as baffling as the people who wear masks alone in their cars

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I travelled to a different town today to meet some family, and I went out shopping during this visit.

Majority of people masked up and complaining about it, fiddling with them, and not distancing whatsoever, a lot of people moaning about how uncomfortable it is.

I think this demonstrates that, whilst they are very vocal, it is just a small minority pushing for masks to be mandated everywhere.

thejuggler

A friend was an an LNER from Leeds to Kings Cross today and the Police were telling, not advising, everyone to wear a face covering. She said it was intimidating.

The carriage she was in was far busier than expected and she was on a table with someone opposite.

ChrisC

Established Member
Had to go to one shop today to get something for my mother. First time tried the mask experience, hated every minute of it and couldn't wait to get it off. Made me feel uncomfortable, harder to breath and getting quite anxious. Won't be happening again. Quite a few people taking them off the second they left the shop.

Same here. Had my first experience of mask wearing for shopping today and hated it. Just went to do what now has become my regular weekly shop at small local shops in a nearby village. Went in the chemist, greengrocer, butchers/deli and small Co-op. I was only in each shop for a very short time and like most other people I saw I took my mask off between each shop. Just about everyone I saw took their masks off outside the door of each shop. At those shops where they were only allowing one person in at a time people were not putting their mask on in the small queue but waited until they entered the door. I was also intending to go into the library but I was so fed up with wearing a mask that I just returned my books in the box by the door and didn’t stay.

It’s convinced me even more that I will not at anytime soon return to the big supermarkets where I have to spend a much longer time wearing a mask. I actually used to enjoy shopping but will not be going to any shopping centres or large stores in city centres. Even when shopping in local small independent shops it will be essential shopping only with as little time as possible inside each shop. I think it was the walking around and looking for items on shelves whilst wearing a mask which irritated me. Perhaps I would not find it so bad sitting still on public transport as I didn’t find it particularly uncomfortable last week when I had a hair cut.

trebor79

Established Member
I was also intending to go into the library but I was so fed up with wearing a mask that I just returned my books in the box by the door and didn’t stay.
The good news is that libraries are exempt, you do not have to wear a face covering.
First line of Part 2 of the Schedule.
PART 2
Exemptions from definition of shop - regulation 2(2)
5. Public libraries and public reading rooms.

ChrisC

Established Member
The good news is that libraries are exempt, you do not have to wear a face covering.

Thanks for that info. I didn’t realise,as everyone I saw going in and out were wearing masks, as was the member of staff taking names and phone numbers at the door.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

You don't by law, but the library may make it their policy as a condition of entry, as may any other business not required to do so. The only requirement would be that they respect the exemptions as per the law, because to do otherwise could be a disability discrimination offence.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we stick to observations please?

Incidentally, I saw reasonably high levels of compliance on trains today. No sign of any staff on any of the trains, so lower levels of compliance than I've seen on buses and Sheffield trams (which have incredibly high levels of compliance). Of course you never know who is covered by an exemption so I wouldn't assume anyone not wearing a mask is not complying.

I didn't go into any shops.

Edit: observations reported in the York Press:
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18604908.vast-majority-shoppers-now-cover-faces-new-rule/
Only eight out of 50 shoppers who were observed emerging from the Tesco Express store in Piccadilly on July 14 wore masks or other facial coverings.

Today, 43 out of 50 shoppers at the same store had their faces covered as they were observed coming out of the store. Most wore masks but some used scarves or other items of clothing to cover their mouths and noses.
So that sounds to me like either 100% compliance with the law, or very close to it.

Last edited:

MidlandsChap

Large supermarket in the midlands. Person on the door presumably enforcing the masks and full compliance inside aside from 2 people. Social distancing has gone for a Burton however. Not helped by the people who decide to park their trolley on the opposite side of the aisle to an already parked trolley, meaning everybody else needs to squeeze through the gap in the middle.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
East Midlands Trains are at it again making their own rules up. At both Sheffield and Derby stations today I heard an announcement that wearing a mask is now compulsory on both our trains and stations.

It remains perfectly fine to not wear a mask whilst on a station. The current legislation applies only to ENCLOSED public spaces, so as most stations are not enclosed then it's not applicable.

route101

Established Member
A friend was an an LNER from Leeds to Kings Cross today and the Police were telling, not advising, everyone to wear a face covering. She said it was intimidating.

The carriage she was in was far busier than expected and she was on a table with someone opposite.

I was on LNER few days ago and a guy moved table just before Edinburgh. A lady came and sat opposite him in a the bay of 4, dont understand why he didnt move again. No seat reservations were showing on displays.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Incidentally, if you're wearing a mask, how do you (a) breathe

Through it. It's not heavy grade plastic. Surgeons spend most of their day with one on (as do most other NHS staff at the moment) and they aren't dropping dead.

(b) stop your glasses steaming up?

That's more challenging. One way is to get a mask with a wired nosepiece and pay some attention to its positioning.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Took a train ride today and did some shopping at the end.

Train loadings more respectable today (maybe akin to a quiet dreary weekend in January). Universal mask/covering wearing.

Universal compliance in shops too. People definitely shopping in confidence wearing them.

farleigh

Took a train ride today and did some shopping at the end.

Train loadings more respectable today (maybe akin to a quiet dreary weekend in January). Universal mask/covering wearing.

Universal compliance in shops too. People definitely shopping in confidence wearing them.
Your sample is biased unfortunately as it does not include those who are not shopping because they do not want to wear a mask. Not saying it is a wrong conclusion - just unsound

DB

Your sample is biased unfortunately as it does not include those who are not shopping because they do not want to wear a mask. Not saying it is a wrong conclusion - just unsound

I've also not seen any evidence that people weren't 'shopping in confidence' before (your point about people not shopping could also apply here too, of course).

I'm not actually sure how you could tell this anyway - what would someone shopping un-confidently look like in comparison?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've also not seen any evidence that people weren't 'shopping in confidence' before (your point about people not shopping could also apply here too, of course).

I'm not actually sure how you could tell this anyway - what would someone shopping un-confidently look like in comparison?

People were just shopping, browsing and queueing quite normally (other than distancing on the queue etc obvs). Walking in and out of shops freely. All wearing coverings.

Just looked all very normal to me.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
People were just shopping, browsing and queueing quite normally (other than distancing on the queue etc obvs). Walking in and out of shops freely. All wearing coverings.

Just looked all very normal to me.
I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself there.

Status
Not open for further replies.