• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Observations of face covering in shops, public transport and other public places

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

Interestingly though they've only just put in a one-way system having not bothered throughout the last few months.

We really are going backwards, aren't we? It makes nonsense of the 'as we return to normal' rhetoric!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Did my weekly shop this morning and it was 100% compliance in my local Aldi and just the one person, who I am sure had a good reason, not wearing a covering. Must admit, it did surprise me to see everyone in one as I'd guessed that we'd see a 75% compliance rate.

Oh, and I have also found that it is not a good idea to suck an extra strong mint whilst wearing a face covering - stung the eyes a little bit!!!

High Dyke

Established Member
That's probably not going to apply in many places, is it? Assuming they've got screens up on the tills that will rule them out, and those out on the shop floor will generally be able to keep 2m from anyone else.
A mixture of both. Been in various stores with screens in place and staff wearing face shields or nasks.; Equally no mitigating measures in place.

birchesgreen

Established Member
That's probably not going to apply in many places, is it? Assuming they've got screens up on the tills that will rule them out, and those out on the shop floor will generally be able to keep 2m from anyone else.

Those restocking are to wear masks, also in my wife's branch there are no perspex screens at the checkouts so the partners there have to wear them too. Luckily for my wife she works behind the deli counter so no mask needed!

DB

Those restocking are to wear masks, also in my wife's branch there are no perspex screens at the checkouts so the partners there have to wear them too. Luckily for my wife she works behind the deli counter so no mask needed!

Sounds like that will be thouroughly unpleasant for them.

talldave

Established Member
How frequently do they change them? Might not be long before the respiratory infections start :'(

birchesgreen

Established Member
^^ I don't know, i'll ask. While i've managed to "survive" an hour or so rail journey with a mask on, I can't say i'd enjoy working a full shift wearing one...

bramling

Veteran Member
^^ I don't know, i'll ask. While i've managed to "survive" an hour or so rail journey with a mask on, I can't say i'd enjoy working a full shift wearing one...

Personally, speaking from my own experience (others may feel differently) I couldn’t wear one for a shift, especially carrying out any activity which is safety-related I find it too much of a distraction, an inhibitor to clear safety-related communication, and it’s simply impossible to avoid touching or adjusting the mask.

I went down to my local town just now, first time since masks, and only as I had some branch bank business which couldn’t be done online. The bank was a shambles, staff behind the windows wearing visors. Both myself and the lady at the window next to me ended up having to abandon the masks as it became too much difficulty, the staff just smiled and rolled their eyes. Coming out I then kept the mask on to take the opportunity to visit another shop (resisting the temptation to take it off, knowing that my hands had just been all over the bank counter along with however many other people all morning). By the time I went into Wilkinson’s I was starting to get a headache and found I couldn’t really focus on what I was doing - not sure if this was because the weather was hot and humid. Staff there seemed exasperated with the whole thing, they were simply reminding people of the law but not making any attempt to enforce, the lady on the checkout said “we can’t go on like this”.

Most conspicuously of all, the town was very quiet. Car parks were very empty, and there didn’t seem to be much footfall in the various shops I passing, nor in the street. Wilkinson’s would normally be busy at that time, and has been til now, today I’d say there were only about 5 people in there.

All in all an unpleasant experience, I will comply in shops to the barest extent simply as I don’t wish to put staff in a difficult position, but that’s as far as it goes. Certainly have no intention on transport.

oldman

My local Tesco has a sign at the door stating that masks are to be worn 'in customer-facing areas' and 'during opening hours'. I assume that is intended for staff, unless it is saying that burglars breaking into the store rooms at night need not wear masks!

DB

My local Tesco has a sign at the door stating that masks are to be worn 'in customer-facing areas' and 'during opening hours'. I assume that is intended for staff, unless it is saying that burglars breaking into the store rooms at night need not wear masks!

Were they doing anything to enforce the mask rule? Tesco seems to have generally been very sensible over the last few weeks, and have removed the queueing and all the arrows.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Were they doing anything to enforce the mask rule? Tesco seems to have generally been very sensible over the last few weeks, and have removed the queueing and all the arrows.
I heard a member of security (?) staff asking someone where their mask was in a rather gruff manner at one Tesco store. When that person said that they were exempt the staff member apologised. That is completely the wrong way to go about it, and frankly if that is a policy endorsed (or tolerated) by the company, I'm going to switch over to Sainsbury's as they have quite correctly said they will not be challenging maskless customers.

With the percentage of people wearing a mask in store being about 99%, you can be fairly certain that anyone entering without a mask has a reason to be doing so.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Personally, speaking from my own experience (others may feel differently) I couldn’t wear one for a shift, especially carrying out any activity which is safety-related I find it too much of a distraction, an inhibitor to clear safety-related communication, and it’s simply impossible to avoid touching or adjusting the mask.

Well i found out. They do have to wear them for a full shift (which could be 8 hours), though do have the option of wearing a visor instead.

trebor79

Established Member
Just back from a short trip to my local Sainsbury's.
About 95% of customers wearing face coverings, most of the mask type. Many staff also now wearing them, but not all. Those that were I noticed have a habit of lifting them or moving them down to speak to customers and each other.
Lots of people fiddling with them. Some removing them at the checkout.
All in all a nonsense.
I will have to find a different solution for the weekly shop, I had to adjust/retie my bandana twice on the few minutes I was there. Surprisingly scratchy on my face too. Having worn a surgical type for a haircut last week I know I can't used one of those either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I will have to find a different solution for the weekly shop, I had to adjust/retie my bandana twice on the few minutes I was there. Surprisingly scratchy on my face too. Having worn a surgical type for a haircut last week I know I can't used one of those either.

I'd try a shaped fabric one. I find them by far the least uncomfortable.

trainophile

Established Member
Just got off an Avanti, adult family group not even pretending to wear any face coverings, people walking through the train without one. Even the guy collecting rubbish never said anything - he must have noticed though (he was wearing one).

Birmingham New Street was the same, must have seen a dozen people wandering around with them under their chin or nose.

It’s time they admitted this isn’t working.

bramling

Veteran Member
Just got off an Avanti, adult family group not even pretending to wear any face coverings, people walking through the train without one. Even the guy collecting rubbish never said anything - he must have noticed though (he was wearing one).

Birmingham New Street was the same, must have seen a dozen people wandering around with them under their chin or nose.

It’s time they admitted this isn’t working.

It’s not working, and the amount of fiddling that’s going on suggests it’s also becoming a hazard in its own right, just like Jenny Harries predicted.

They won’t u-turn though, the only way it will fizzle out is if enough people start ignoring it. I very much feel that the established risks outweigh the unproven benefits.

bramling

Veteran Member
Or enforcement was stepped up in some way, such as an increase in the penalty from the present pocket-money level.

That doesn’t solve the massive problem of incorrect use, and I think there will be difficulty getting the police to enforce it given their buy-in is minimal to say the least.

More and more people are going to start ignoring, and it will fade out over time, like Boris’s lockdown did.

I’ve just tried to order a week’s supply for me at work (140 masks) and told supply has run out. Oh dear...

trebor79

Established Member
It’s not working, and the amount of fiddling that’s going on suggests it’s also becoming a hazard in its own right, just like Jenny Harries predicted.

They won’t u-turn though, the only way it will fizzle out is if enough people start ignoring it. I very much feel that the established risks outweigh the unproven benefits.
That's my hope. Sainsbury's tannoy played some waffle about what they are doing "during this time". I didn't listen bit did notice it made the point that not everyone can wear a mask (or socially distance??) which I thought was good.
I didn't see any non face covered people being hectored by staff or anyone else.

MikeWM

Established Member
More and more people are going to start ignoring, and it will fade out over time, like Boris’s lockdown did.

I hope so. So far, however, compliance on trains seems to have gone up over time, and doesn't seem too far off 100% now around here :-/

Silverlinky

I did my weekly shop at Tesco Extra yesterday, was thinking i'd see plenty of people not wearing masks, especially seeing as they had nobody on the door checking, in actual fact almost everyone had masks on....I saw one woman with hers down below her chin, and another woman without one at all, but everyone else, even most of the young kids, was wearing a mask.

Bizarrely though, in the Tesco Extra there is a Costa Coffee shop, and they have just reinstated the seating area, so many people were there eating and drinking, all without masks on!

So the same premises under the same roof, walking around shopping you need a mask, sitting down talking to people whilst eating and drinking and don't bother!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So the same premises under the same roof, walking around shopping you need a mask, sitting down talking to people whilst eating and drinking and don't bother!

This, as you might expect, is because you can't eat and drink with a mask on. The only other option would be to reinstate the ban on "eat in" food and drink.

greyman42

Established Member
I have been in most supermarkets and get the impression that they could not care less whether you are wearing a mask or not which suits me fine. Smaller independent shops/sandwich bars certainly are not bothered.

talldave

Established Member
All in all an unpleasant experience, I will comply in shops to the barest extent simply as I don’t wish to put staff in a difficult position, but that’s as far as it goes. Certainly have no intention on transport.
You're not putting staff in a difficult position, if anyone did at all it was the government. I respect anyone who's been wearing a mask since all this started, even though I consider it pointless. But I have no respect for the people who suddenly decided they needed to wear a mask after 23:59 last Thursday if they had never done so previously. It'll be gloves next... where does it all end? And when are people going to fight back against the nonsense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.