• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Occasions where TOCs and FOCS regularly cover others work

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
As the title says, after an up to date list of situations where one company is booked or hired in to cover on a regular basis.

I believe Southern still drive GWR turbos on the NDL lines, also ROG and GBRF regularly passenger TOC units to places for overhaul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Northern still provide crews to run the Scotrail services that come down from Glasgow via Dumfries, Carlisle and onto Newcastle over the Tyne Valley using Scotrail 156s. And I believe TPE are still running a number of services (I think the first and last of the day?) to/from Barton on Humber on behalf of Northern using TPE crews and on some services 185s. The arrangement on the Yorkshire Coast however where TPE crews operated Northern 158s on Northern services between Hull and Scarborough has finished and did so quite a few years ago now I believe.

Edit: Changes made in light of post #3

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Northern still provide crews to run the Scotrail services that come down from Glasgow via Dumfries, Carlisle and onto Newcastle over the Tyne Valley using Scotrail 156s. And I believe TPE are still running a number of services (I think the first and last of the day?) to/from Barton on Humber on behalf of Northern using TPE crews and 185s. The arrangement on the Yorkshire Coast however where TPE crews operated Northern 158s on Northern services between Hull and Scarborough has finished and did so quite a few years ago now I believe.

TPE crew all Barton trains.

TfW did work some GWR trains from Cardiff, don't know if they still do.

JN114

Established Member
Southern Redhill do indeed still have 2 driver diagrams per day that cover GWR work over the North Downs.

LowLevel

Established Member
SouthEastern drive some Tonbridge to London via Redhill trains for GTR with GTR guards.

JN114

Established Member
Do freight companies provide drivers for the sleeper services? GWR and/or CS?

Definitely not on GWR - Ive got a feeling however Caledonian don’t have any operations staff, and that drivers and Guards are provided by GBRF

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do freight companies provide drivers for the sleeper services? GWR and/or CS?

GWR is crewed by GWR staff (indeed I was once in danger of missing a connection until the host was able to reassure me that the guard on the sleeper would be working my connecting train so it was going nowhere until we arrived!) throughout. The Caledonian is GBRf drivers (who supply the locomotives as well) but the guards are employees of the franchise as far as I'm aware.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Don't GC cover a Norther commuter train into Leeds in the morning with a Class 180

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Freightliner drivers covered the Carlisle-Glasgow stretch of TPE workings for a period. I think this may have stopped now.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
GWR is crewed by GWR staff (indeed I was once in danger of missing a connection until the host was able to reassure me that the guard on the sleeper would be working my connecting train so it was going nowhere until we arrived!) throughout. The Caledonian is GBRf drivers (who supply the locomotives as well) but the guards are employees of the franchise as far as I'm aware.
During the GWR IET training I believe Freightliner were covering the ECS movements of the Night Riviera between Reading and Paddington. Presume it has now gone back in house

matt_world2004

Established Member
I believe London underground use freight operators when their heritage stock is going beyond Amersham

Roast Veg

Established Member
Southeastern drivers work many of the Thameslink services into their territory.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is there still (Current special timetable notwithstanding) a local working for EMT from Norwich in the morning?

LowLevel

Established Member
Is there still (Current special timetable notwithstanding) a local working for EMT from Norwich in the morning?

No, the Greater Anglia 158 working finished in December. That was part of the booked diagram for the unit, Norwich GA crews signed 158s and crewed it themselves to Lowestoft and back before it went on the 0757 Liverpool.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I assume that's a legacy from when they were in fact Southeastern services?

It was yes for Orpington routes and to Gillingham but Thameslink drivers are now at the right establishment levels.

Established Member
MTR Elizabeth line drivers from Ilford crew Arriva Rail London services all the way from Romford to Upminster, and back again.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
SouthEastern drive some Tonbridge to London via Redhill trains for GTR with GTR guards.

Well they're OBSs now - sometimes a SE conductor can also relieve a GTR OBS which is an odd set of circumstances.

LowLevel

Established Member
Well they're OBSs now - sometimes a SE conductor can also relieve a GTR OBS which is an odd set of circumstances.

Are they not required to be Selhurst conductors owing to SouthEastern drivers not signing the DOO camera system on the 377s? I was under the impression that Southern trains operated by SE drivers had to have a qualified guard rather than the usual OBS.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Are they not required to be Selhurst conductors owing to SouthEastern drivers not signing the DOO camera system on the 377s? I was under the impression that Southern trains operated by SE drivers had to have a qualified guard rather than the usual OBS.

Perhaps, but I was talking about the reverse scenario. I know East Croydon & Victoria OBSs do Redhill - Tonbridge

Aictos

Established Member
SouthEastern drive some Tonbridge to London via Redhill trains for GTR with GTR Onboard Supervisors.

GTR don't have guards at all except I think for the Milton Keynes to South Croydon service.

2L70

On Moderation
Aha fair enough. I thought the last time I did it a year or so ago it was a Northern conductor but I wasn't paying close attention!

Until a couple of years ago some Northern Crew did sign the route but that's ended now after the early Doncaster - Cleethorpes service was withdrawn.

pompeyfan

Established Member
GTR don't have guards at all except I think for the Milton Keynes to South Croydon service.

not strictly true, GTR conductors on 313s, 171s, and 377 services to Guildford, MK and I believe there’s another route, but I forget which.

matt_world2004

Established Member
MTR Elizabeth line drivers from Ilford crew Arriva Rail London services all the way from Romford to Upminster, and back again.
From an operational perspective it didn't really make sense to hand the east Anglia services over to Lonfon Overground, given that MTR Crossrail were operationally closer to the line had similar rolling stock class 710s and 345s and operated out of Ilford depot

Status
Not open for further replies.