• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd journey planner quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

I assume there is any number of these, but there's a few I've personally noticed that probably wouldn't agree too much with the routing guide and all that jazz.

First off, a fairly low level one:

Birmingham to Hamstead during the evening (when there is only one stopper per hour), gives the option of catching the fast train to Tame Bridge and doubling back.

Another similar effort whilst looking for trains to Hope/Edale, it suggests getting the TPE fast train from Stockport to Sheffield, then getting the stopper back - this one I'm actually curious about, it cuts about 45 mins off the journey time, which would be incredibly useful and I think (could be wrong) I saw something about journeys to the Hope Valley being allowed to double back. Or am I imagining it?

Finally, checking to see if the 1932 from Hamstead to Rugeley connects to the Crewe train at the other end. I put in Hamstead to Stoke on Trent, via Rugeley - one of the suggestions:

Hamstead - Tame Bridge - Rugeley Trent Valley - Walsall - Wolverhampton - Stoke :lol:

Anyone else noticed odd suggestions whilst planning their journeys online?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Snow Hill suggests changing at Smethwick GB
Marston Green to Birmingham International suggests changing at New St along with suggesting the far more accurate direct train (it does advise you that you need two tickets though)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another similar effort whilst looking for trains to Hope/Edale, it suggests getting the TPE fast train from Stockport to Sheffield, then getting the stopper back - this one I'm actually curious about, it cuts about 45 mins off the journey time, which would be incredibly useful and I think (could be wrong) I saw something about journeys to the Hope Valley being allowed to double back. Or am I imagining it?

Easement 700109 said:
Customers travelling from Dore via Edale may double back via Sheffield.

Chars

thewolf

Aha, that's the one. That is a no to Stockport - Sheffield - Edale then. I shall just have to make sure I make the stopper from Piccadilly then or its a long wait and a bit of a spoiled day :p

tony_mac

Established Member
generally, if a train passes through a station without stopping, and that station is not a timing point, then journey planners will allow doubling-back as they don't realise that the train passed through the station before.
This causes quite a lot of quirks.

TEW

Established Member
If you use the ATOS Origin based systems like East Coast it only looks at station calls, ignoring stations where the train doesn't stop entirely, even if they are timing points, so will allow some quite strange routes which require doubling back.

John @ home

Established Member
If you use the ATOS Origin based systems like East Coast it only looks at station calls, ignoring stations where the train doesn't stop entirely, even if they are timing points, so will allow some quite strange routes which require doubling back.
Are you sure? It shows no fares for London - Doncaster via York, which would have plenty journey opportunities if the planner was ignoring stations where the train doesn't stop entirely.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

I actually find the ATOS based systems such as East Coast far more accurate in their assessment of what is a valid route than the trainline based sites or NRES. I have noted some improvements of late with NRES where it now - correctly - advises you need two tickets for certain journeys it gives to you.

DFG237

This also occurs from Castle Cary where certain journeys allow a Taunton and back plus Bruton is valid via Caste Cary as well - even to the point a Bruton - Bristol ticket is valid via Castle Cary and Taunton..which is a long way round but quicker than waiting 3 hours for a service. This makes an anomaly that a season ticket from Bruton to Bristol is cheaper than Castle Cary and is still valid via Castle Cary...therefore most commuters get a Bruton one and save £24.20 on a weekly ticket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.