• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Odd-one-out" units within a class

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
The other day, I stumbled across a picture of 315804.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/315804_D_Enfield_Town.JPG

It has a really unusual headlight arrangement that I have never seen before (It looks sorta like the lights on a 172/0 or 376). Is this the only 315 with these lights and why does it have them. Also, are there any other "units with special modifications that run around in the same pool as the rest of their respective fleet?
Thanks in advance =)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
It is one of the ones FGE overhauled IIRC, nothing odd-one out about it :)

pendolino

There's a 455 running about (I don't know the number) with a drop-down window on the secondman's side the same as that found in the cab door of a 377. No idea why though.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Not units but 87101 springs to mind (thyristor controlled), as well as 86501 (regeared)

The prototype 150s

The prototype metrocar 4001 (not much different to other units other than the door release buttons)

There are trailers from the prototype HST which until recent refurbishment had slightly different window seals.

Last edited:

NXEA!

The other day, I stumbled across a picture of 315804.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/315804_D_Enfield_Town.JPG

It has a really unusual headlight arrangement that I have never seen before (It looks sorta like the lights on a 172/0 or 376). Is this the only 315 with these lights and why does it have them. Also, are there any other "units with special modifications that run around in the same pool as the rest of their respective fleet?
Thanks in advance =)
There are four 315's with that headlight arrangement, 804/806/809/812. I think it was due in part to a trial refurbishment by FGE (maybe someone could shed some more light on this?). Another difference between these and the rest of the class is that the window frames on the exterior are still metallic, whereas the other sets in the class are painted over black. Another couple of oddballs are 455912 (I think its that one) that has a 210 driving vehicle (not sure if there are any noticeable physical differences?) Which still has its original 210 carriage number. Rumours are that 5913 will be repaired with another 210 vehicle - how it will be repaired remains to be seen. Also there is a 314 which has got a 507 driving car. There may be some more for electric units, I'm not sure. :)

Established Member
Isn't there one 466 knocking about with 2+2 seating instead of 3+2? Also, I believe that 1967TS unit 3186 is/was (don't know if it's been scrapped) the only 1967TS unit to have perch seats in the trailer cars.

O L Leigh

Established Member
There are four 315's with that headlight arrangement, 804/806/809/812. I think it was due in part to a trial refurbishment by FGE (maybe someone could shed some more light on this?). Another difference between these and the rest of the class is that the window frames on the exterior are still metallic, whereas the other sets in the class are painted over black.

There are one or two other differences, but they are mostly in the cab.

Another couple of oddballs are 455912 (I think its that one) that has a 210 driving vehicle (not sure if there are any noticeable physical differences?) Which still has its original 210 carriage number.

No, it's now numbered 67400 but was 60400 when it formed part of 210002, and it's an intermediate trailer not a driving trailer. There are a number of telltale signs you can look out for to help identify the vehicle, including low door windows, the bodyside and bogie fixing points for the yaw dampers and brackets that enabled it to operate at speeds over 75mph, and the plated-over vent grille at one end.

O L Leigh

Isn't there one 466 knocking about with 2+2 seating instead of 3+2? Also, I believe that 1967TS unit 3186 is/was (don't know if it's been scrapped) the only 1967TS unit to have perch seats in the trailer cars.

466016 is the supposed unit in question, however the few times this has appeared on the Sheerness Line, I seem to recall the seating to be 3+2 and no different to any other 466!

Fincra5

Established Member
There's a 455 running about (I don't know the number) with a drop-down window on the secondman's side the same as that found in the cab door of a 377. No idea why though.

Yeah there is, seen it a couple of times whilst working Via Clapham Jnc. It looks rather odd.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
That will be 314203. The ex 507 DMSO carries the same number as the original coach that was written off!

The DMSO came from (IIRC) 507004. 314203 is easily identifiable on the exterior because of (blacked out) name plates on the side of the unit that read 'European Union'. Inside the ex-507 DMSO has a different interior with bluey-grey bulkheads and curved orange grab rails around the vestibules. Presumably this is the last original Merseyrail interior?

It was the Newton Rail Crash / Disaster, in case you were wondering, that destroyed the original DMSO.

Crossover

Established Member
IIRC, there is a 222 Mereidian unit which has an all yellow nose cone, different to the rest of the fleet.

Also, one of the 185's had the number on each end with no space in it

EDIT: On looking, it was 185103, not sure if it is still like this though

Royston Vasey

Established Member
What is the actual difference? I can't see that much!

Are you sure you're a rail enthusiast?? The hobby is all about delighting in tiny differences in numbers, body shapes, paintwork etc that any normal person wouldn't notice or care about!! :lol:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I'm not an enthusiast particularly, just interested in trains/routes themselves. I don't look for little things! haha :D

I do notice the little things as I'm pretty sure I'm probably somewhere on the autism spectrum... but like you I just don't care or attach importance to them once I've noticed them!

MCR247

Established Member
The 222 is 016 which hit a person in Cricklewood and had to have a brand new cab, so it is/was running around without any cab vinyls

Pumbaa

Established Member
The 222 is 016 which hit a person in Cricklewood and had to have a brand new cab, so it is/was running around without any cab vinyls

Was - didn't last for long either before being revinyled.

westcoaster

Established Member

Pedantic moment, actually someone threw them selves in front of it at elstree & borehamwood.:lol: back on topic as you were.

NSE

Established Member
Someone may be able to help here, I travelled on a 319 in an advertising livery. It was late, dark and I was tired so I have no number, but it had much comfier seating than any others and had large tables. I think the livery was something about flying to Spain? Apologies if I'm completley on the wrong track.

NXEA!

Sounds to me like the visit Switzerland liveried set? If it is that one its 319214. The comfier seating sounds about right for the 2xx's so its probably that set your thinking of. :)

westcoaster

Established Member
Round two pedantic moment it's actually 319215, and speaking off the /2's they are the only 319's with disabled toilets.

Status
Not open for further replies.