Odd station signs

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by matacaster, 22 Aug 2018.

1. matacaster

matacaster Member

Huddersfield Station toilets

"This door is automatic"

"Press here to open"

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Coombe Junction Halt.

It isn't a request stop.

4. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Established Member

Not a sign, but an announcement. 'We are now approaching our final destination'.
    What is a destination if it isn't final?

5. Michael.Y

Michael.Y Established Member

There's a temporary one while the canopy works are being done that says "Newport Station".

There is a solitary remaining Rail Alphabet sign at the country end of Platform 12 at London Paddington.

West Ealing has extant furniture in about 3 or 4 different era liveries, including Network South East, FGW Link, FGW and GWR.

6. DJames

DJames Member

It's not on an actual railway station, but there's a sign at Wednesbury Great Western Street tram stop that still has the old Travel Midland Metro logo and typeface. I reckon it's been there since the line was opened.

7. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

I've seen many a sign stating "This door is alarmed", though I've never worked out what they're alarmed at. House prices, perhaps...

8. nickswift99

nickswift99 Member

How does the train know you're approaching your final destination? Presumably you'll be travelling beyond the station or perhaps changing trains? In fact, it's not the train's final destination either - that will be the scrapyard where it finally ceases to become a train.

9. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

announcement years ago on a GNER service to Aberdeen north of Newcastle/Scottish border.
    "Welcome back to God's own country"

10. krus_aragon

Travelling via Wales? :P

11. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

The suffix “Halt” is not synonymous with “request stop.” It is an outdated term that just referred to very small station that was brought back into use by Great Western ten years ago on station signage and then two stations on that branch officially being renamed (on National Rail enquiries etc) a short while after.

12. K.o.R

K.o.R Member

Several locked cupboards at Victoria with the sign "Danger: Low voltage".

13. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

It specifically referred to an unstaffed station - a station is where people were stationed, a halt is just where trains came to a halt (though GWR also had the term "platform" for a station larger than a halt but not deserving of the name "station"). Obviously with widespread destaffing of stations the term became obsolete, except to evoke a sense of nostalgia.

14. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul Member

I don't know if it's still there, on the viaduct wall near Camden Road junction on the North London Line, there was painted in big letters 'Danger, 25,000KV Cable' -- now that's really high voltage!

15. vlad

vlad Member

You get doors like that all over the place, presumably to aid those with mobility difficulties. They'll open automatically but only if you tell them to. As a result if you choose to push or pull them as you usually would you'll find they seem a lot heavier.

16. Saj8

Saj8 Member

"Low voltage" is defined as being 50 - 1000v AC or 120 - 1500v DC. I would imagine there is mains voltage in those cupboards.

17. Joseph_Locke

Joseph_Locke Established Member

Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
    "If you see anything unusual or suspicious contact BTP on 61016"

Really? Where on earth to start - My Northern service home actually has a driver? The windows on this Pacer don't leak?

18. K.o.R

K.o.R Member

Oh I know, it's just an amusing example of "official" definitions and "common" definitions overlapping. I imagine most people would consider anything able to shock them as "high" voltage and anything not able (well, in most cases) as "low" voltage.

The wording that tends to be used nowadays (precisely because of this sort of thing) is an assisted door.

19. MotCO

MotCO Member

"Disabled Toilets". Why are the toilets disabled?

20. FelixtheCat

I'd probably be disabled if someone urinated on me every few minutes.

21. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

I laughed at this way too much!
    Like button anyone?

22. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

On a similar note, Arriva Trains Wales on-train announcements say "this train will call at the following principal stations ..."

And then lists every station, all the way to Tenby or wherever.

23. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

When my wife hears that message she just points at me ...

Don't know why.

24. FelixtheCat

I also find this odd. What's wrong with "This train is for Blah. Calling at: Owls, Chips, Whatever North and Blah"? I dislike the pointless addition of words.
    Virgin Trains has taken to the principal stations thing too. As if Sandwell & Dudley is a principal station.

25. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

I agree, but would reluctantly accept that as an 'intercity' service does not call at all stations, the ones it does call at are 'principal'. It's still a pointless word to include, though.

26. 387star

387star On Moderation

Gatwick Airport platform 1.. old red and black style sign forgotten about given the others have Airport style black and yellow

27. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul Member

There are several old BR posters displayed on the wall of the steps to the down platform at Richmond, one of them announces a new station called Martin's Heron.

28. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

There used to be a service from Colchester to 'Up North' can't recall if it was Manchester or Barrow ! We had the Train Announcers in the box back then, one used to announce it as the 1412 to wherever, and reading out every station it stopped at, and I am sure the train was half way to Manningtree when he finished ! one of the other announcers used to say, "Thistrain will call at Ipswich, Stowmarket, Ely and 'selected' stations to Barrow"(or wherever it was ! )

29. gnolife

gnolife Established Member

IIRC, on trains on the North Wales coast, the request stops don't get announced, and East Didsbury is also missing.

30. krus_aragon

Correct. In effect, the 175s announce all the stations it will definitely make passenger stops at, but skips the request stops it might call at (which are in the subsequent anouncement about requesting a stop from guard).

East Didsbury probably wasn't important enough to get the voice artists back into the studio.

31. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul Member

I was once at Surbiton one morning years back when an announcer said over the tannoy that the such-and-such train to Portsmouth Harbour, calling at -- and he listed the name of every station at which a slow to Portsmouth Harbour would stop, a long list -- 'has been cancelled'. That caused a good laugh amongst those on the platform.