• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ofcom list of tips for getting the most out of your internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG

Established Member
I note Ofcom have issued some advice on measures people can take to improve reliability of their internet connection.

The BBC have titled their article thus:
'Avoid using the microwave to get faster internet'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52027348
The advice ranges from the seemingly obvious, like downloading films in advance rather than streaming them when someone else may be trying to make a video call, to the less expected.

"Did you know that microwave ovens can also reduce wi-fi signals?" Ofcom asks.

"So don't use the microwave when you're making video calls, watching HD videos or doing something important online."

It suggests positioning your internet router as far as possible from other devices that may interfere with the signal.

Those devices include: cordless phones, baby monitors, halogen lamps, dimmer switches, stereos and computer speakers, TVs and monitors.

Ofcom also advises making calls on a landline where possible, citing an increase in the demand on mobile networks.

"If you do need to use your mobile, try using your settings to turn on wi-fi calling," Ofcom said.

"Similarly, you can make voice calls over the internet using apps like Facetime, Skype or WhatsApp."

The regulator also suggests disconnecting devices that are not in use.

"The more devices attached to your wi-fi, the lower the speed you get," it said.

"Devices like tablets and smartphones often work in the background, so try switching wi-fi reception off on these when you're not using them."

Other tips include:
  • Place your router on a table or shelf rather than on the floor, and keep it switched on
  • If you're carrying out video calls or meetings, turning the video off and using audio will require much less of your internet connection
  • Try starting those calls at less common times, rather than on the hour or half hour
  • For the best broadband speeds, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your router rather than using wifi
  • Where possible, try not to use a telephone extension lead, as these can cause interference which could lower your speed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
To expand on the microwave point, microwaves generally (in the UK at least) at ~2450Mhz which is in the range of B/G/N WiFi (and Bluetooth), plus run at hundreds of watts not the milliwatts WiFi runs at and as such any can wipe out WiFi for any devices close by, my Grans one certinaly does this and that's a brand new Panasonic.

For anyone who is worried that this interference means that their microwave must be leaking dangerous amounts of radiation then rest assured that is not the reason, RF is and always will remain a black art.

sor

To expand on the microwave point, microwaves generally (in the UK at least) at ~2450Mhz which is in the range of B/G/N WiFi (and Bluetooth), plus run at hundreds of watts not the milliwatts WiFi runs at and as such any can wipe out WiFi for any devices close by, my Grans one certinaly does this and that's a brand new Panasonic.

For anyone who is worried that this interference means that their microwave must be leaking dangerous amounts of radiation then rest assured that is not the reason, RF is and always will remain a black art.

Though most routers (even those supplied by ISPs) and a lot of wifi-enabled equipment also works on 5GHz and it should prefer to use this where available as it is less likely to be congested

Better still - use an ethernet cable for maximum reliability and speed

dgl

Established Member
Though most routers (even those supplied by ISPs) and a lot of wifi-enabled equipment also works on 5GHz and it should prefer to use this where available as it is less likely to be congested

Better still - use an ethernet cable for maximum reliability and speed

Yes I use 5Ghz wireless at home, mainly because I have a wireless AC router and so if need to transfer stuff around the network it is a fair bit faster, plus my laptop does not have built in ethernet, though I do have a 10/100 (FE) dongle for use as needed.

One thing to point out about 5Ghz WiFi is that it does have a shorter range as any obstructions between your device and the access point/router (such as walls) cause greater signal loss than with 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.