Off peak day return - return in peak?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Howardh, 13 Jul 2019 at 10:59.

1. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Wed 17/07/2019 13:19 Bolton -Huddersfield
    Wed 17/07/2019 18:08 Huddersfield - Bolton
    £12.35 OP (day return)
    Northern.

This is my planned trip, and on the Northern booking site it's offering me off-peak return as an option and a stated time (1808) but as the return journey is in peak hours I'm confused - can I use the OPDR as it's allowable, as it's not morning peak, or will I have to find an alternative leaving after 1830?

Thanks!!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

That ticket is an off-peak return with railcard discount, not an off-peak day return.

It is not subject to the evening peak restrictions applied to shorter distance off-peak day returns for journeys in and around the Northern conurbations.

4. Howardh

It is an off-peak day return (not anytime); thanks for confirming it's validity. So it's only short distances that are peak; presumably around Greater Manchester for example? Is there a map showing validity? Thanks again!

5. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

Generally the afternoon peak restriction just applies (around Manchester) to off-peak day return journeys wholly within or just outside the GMPTE area now - it went a bit further out when first introduced.

The ticket from Bolton to Huddersfield is an off-peak (period) return rather than an off-peak day return. Similarly the anytime option on this route is an anytime return rather than an anytime day return.

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BON&dest=HUD&rlc=YNG&rte=312&tkt=SVR

Last edited: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:52
  6. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

There is no day return between Bolton and Huddersfield - the fare you have found enables you to make the return journey within a month.

Northern's website has a non-exhaustive list, with maps.

7. Howardh

Yes, after checking that's correct; I wonder why a slightly cheaper day return isn't available over that distance? Anyhow, thanks everyone!