• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Hor - Ptr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I was trying to book an off-peak single from Horley to Petersfield, (the outward journey from Ptr - Hor would be in the morning peak, so was trying to save with two singles) for travel tomorrow from 3pm, but found that I was only being offered an anytime fare by the various booking engines.

Is this correct? I have decided to drive tomorrow now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
According to brfares the only standard class singles that exist for that flow are Anytimes - £18.50 not London or £35 any permitted. For the "not via London" fares the Anytime Day Return at £20.80 is only a couple of quid more than the single.

TEW

Established Member
It's pretty normal for the only single fare to be an Anytime single in the South East. As the Anytime single will be priced below both the Off Peak and, if available, the Super Off Peak Day Return fares the Anytime single normally offers a reasonable discount of the Anytime Day Return, compared to the more normal 10p discount. On this flow though the Off Peak Day Return is only 20p less than the Anytime Day Return, so the Anytime Single offers little discount.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was trying to book an off-peak single from Horley to Petersfield, (the outward journey from Ptr - Hor would be in the morning peak, so was trying to save with two singles) for travel tomorrow from 3pm, but found that I was only being offered an anytime fare by the various booking engines.

That's correct.

Nearby Gatwick does have an Off Peak Return for £27, or Anytime Return at £37.60, which is valid via Horley & Clapham Junction.

But Horley does not have such a fare.
Is this correct? I have decided to drive tomorrow now.
Many fares, including this one, appear to be deliberately priced at a high level to encourage people to drive instead.

I believe Southern prefer to encourage people out of their cars by offering good value fares, but SWT do not appear to share that philosophy. This fare is set by SWT.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more. As much as I like the way South West Trains run their services in terms of overall punctuality and friendliness of staff, they are definitely more expensive than Southern.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TEW

Established Member
Many fares, including this one, appear to be deliberately priced at a high level to encourage people to drive instead.

I believe Southern prefer to encourage people out of their cars by offering good value fares, but SWT do not appear to share that philosophy. This fare is set by SWT.

The Off Peak Day Return at £20.09 does not seem to be that poor value for money to me. The most direct route by rail is over 50 miles in each direction. The Anytime Day Return fare doesn't need to attract people out of there cars, peak time services from Petersfield to Guildford and on to London are busy enough at present. If you were to lower fares and attracted more people the trains would probably struggle to cope with the extra passengers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They are putting extra carriages on though.

Also the anytime return is £77 where as from Gatwick it's £37. Note that both allow you to travel via Clapham Junction. Clearly the £77 one includes London. However trains are not that less busy from Clapham Junction.

Perhaps you think Southern should increase their Gatwick Airport fare to discourage people to travel to Petersfield via Clapham Junction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cjmillsnun

Established Member
That's correct.

Nearby Gatwick does have an Off Peak Return for £27, or Anytime Return at £37.60, which is valid via Horley & Clapham Junction.

But Horley does not have such a fare.

That is crazy.

Hmmm. Getting a Gatwick ticket would be valid as it's a walk on fare (as long as I start by going north on the Pompey direct, rather than down to Havant)

EDIT: still cheaper to drive though..

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
That is crazy.

Hmmm. Getting a Gatwick ticket would be valid as it's a walk on fare (as long as I start by going north on the Pompey direct, rather than down to Havant)

I can't see why you'd want to travel via Clapham junction or London both via Havant or Dorking are competitive on journey time

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That is crazy.

Yep, if you're asking if it's possible to buy the cheaper Gatwick-Petersfield ticket and start "short" at Horley, that is totally valid.

Indeed. That's true of most walk-up journeys, and is in line with DfT and ATOC policy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't see why you'd want to travel via Clapham junction or London both via Havant or Dorking are competitive on journey time
The issue here is that if he buys the cheaper ticket from Gatwick, it wouldn't be allowed to travel via Gatwick, but the ticket from Gatwick is valid via Horley, so he could start/finish "short" at Horley.

Apologies to people who have read me say this in other threads, but...

It's a good job the fares in this country are simple - imagine if they weren't! ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Of course, you still could, by purchasing 2 x Singles (£1.70 each way) in addition.

paul1609

Established Member
Yep, if you're asking if it's possible to buy the cheaper Gatwick-Petersfield ticket and start "short" at Horley, that is totally valid.

Indeed. That's true of most walk-up journeys, and is in line with DfT and ATOC policy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The issue here is that if he buys the cheaper ticket from Gatwick, it wouldn't be allowed to travel via Gatwick, but the ticket from Gatwick is valid via Horley, so he could start/finish "short" at Horley.

Apologies to people who have read me say this in other threads, but...

It's a good job the fares in this country are simple - imagine if they weren't! ;)

He could always split at Havant Petersfield to Havant £6.30 anytime day return, Havant to Horley £26.00 anytime day return. Ive yet to find any Southern guard who will not sell you a ticket on train if approached directly.

johnnycache

Horley to Redhill £3.90 off-peak day return
Redhill to Havant £15.00 off-peak day return (valid via Guildford, stop short at Petersfield)
Total £18.90

Status
Not open for further replies.