• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Return - Break of Journey - Return leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnon

I am after some simple clarification please.

If I am using the return leg of an off peak return (valid one month), can i resume the return journey (say) a week after i commenced it - providing i am still within the validity of the ticket (ie the one month).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Yes, so long as you are on a permitted route/operator for the ticket and you are not re-covering ground already made on the ticket.

If it has been stamped then you may wish to get it endorsed to say how far it is used to avoid hassle, but there is no obligation to do so.

garnon

Yes, so long as you are on a permitted route/operator for the ticket and you are not re-covering ground already made on the ticket.

If it has been stamped then you may wish to get it endorsed to say how far it is used to avoid hassle, but there is no obligation to do so.

Thank you - good point about the stamp.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I've said I will be breaking my journey, the stamp has been no different anyway.

garnon

When I've said I will be breaking my journey, the stamp has been no different anyway.

Makes you wonder why TOC's don't have their own stamp - at least that provides some idea of geography as to where the ticket has been used. Not many guards will recognise headcodes - and that's even when a simple hole or pen has not been used.

DavidS

Does the same rule apply to a return leg of a Super Off-Peak Return?

I was sure it did, until I called the Trainline-powered FGW number today to book one (wanted reservations both sides of the break) and was told not only that breaking my journey overnight wasn't allowed, but also that my only option was to buy 3 singles - totally untrue!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Oh dear. Unfortunately FGW charge for post-booking reservations, or you could get them done at the station. I assume you booked elsewhere though!

island

Veteran Member
Makes you wonder why TOC's don't have their own stamp - at least that provides some idea of geography as to where the ticket has been used. Not many guards will recognise headcodes - and that's even when a simple hole or pen has not been used.
I do believe that the few TOCs that still issue Zifa stampers do have some code to indicate the TOC on their stamp. At the very top (inner part of your ticket) there is a bit which is rotated 90° from the date/headcode, which is the stamper number. Virgin ones are prefixed VT.
Does the same rule apply to a return leg of a Super Off-Peak Return?

I was sure it did, until I called the Trainline-powered FGW number today to book one (wanted reservations both sides of the break) and was told not only that breaking my journey overnight wasn't allowed, but also that my only option was to buy 3 singles - totally untrue!
Not all super off-peak returns permit break of journey on the return leg, for example a Crewe to London Terminals route LDN MIDLAND ONLY.

DavidS

Not all super off-peak returns permit break of journey on the return leg, for example a Crewe to London Terminals route LDN MIDLAND ONLY.

Thought there might be something like that - it's why I wanted to check! Went through NRE in the end to find the validity code and checked it was good with both the (slightly different) copies of restiction 9F they offered...it's no wonder people get confused. I'd kinda hoped the trainline might have been able to do that for me though. :roll:

island

Veteran Member
Don't use thetrainline, as it's almost always more expensive than using any train company's website or redspottedhanky.com.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the ticket conditions for Super Off Peak tickets:

BREAK OF JOURNEY
Break of journey is allowed on
the OUTWARD portion of
Super Off-Peak tickets unless
otherwise indicated by a
restriction shown against the
ticket's Restriction Code,
and in all cases on the RETURN
portion of Super Off-Peak
return tickets.
As I've said before, I do not believe LMs restrictions are in any way enforceable and are clearly a mistake. There was a claim made on this forum a few weeks ago that this mistake should be fixed at the next fares change but this came from someone who works for Merseyrail so I'm not sure. Either way I do not think that such a restriction can over-ride the general principles/conditions.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
As I've said before, I do not believe LMs restrictions are in any way enforceable and are clearly a mistake. There was a claim made on this forum a few weeks ago that this mistake should be fixed at the next fares change but this came from someone who works for Merseyrail so I'm not sure. Either way I do not think that such a restriction can over-ride the general principles/conditions.

Just to confirm that I have checked NFM12 and the return break of journey restrictions on London Midland Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets seem to have been removed.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Just to confirm that I have checked NFM12 and the return break of journey restrictions on London Midland Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets seem to have been removed.

Excellent news. And the invalid evening peak restrictions out of Birmingham on some off-peak returns (e.g. Hereford to Birmingham) that we pointed out on here also seem to have been removed (DL restriction changed to CS). Well done London Midland.

Status
Not open for further replies.